Participate in the August 2017 Member Challenge – Hawaiian Themed

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the August 2017 Member Challenge – Hawaiian Themed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Rock Class 101 Community!

We are back with site member challenge #5! Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.

Pick one from the following 2 Rock Class 101 Hawaiian Themed Genre Lessons:

1) Aloha ‘Oe – A traditional Hawaiian song (written by the Queen of Hawaii) consisting of only 3 chords and a beautiful melody.

2) Waimanalo Blues – An upbeat bluesy Hawaiian tune. Great song to work on for adding a backbeat (slap) to your rhythm playing.

** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **

GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:

1. Beginner to Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast, slow and steady wins the race 🙂

Recommended Piece: Waimanalo Blues * The Solo Is Optional *

2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.

Recommended Piece: Aloha ‘Oe

3. Participation Goal: 30 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.

GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:

1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing one of the 2 beginner pieces anytime between Tuesday, August 1st till Thursday, August 31st, 11:59pm EST.

The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:

YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel

SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin

2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.

3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.

4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.

5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle.

* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.

COMMON FAQs:

1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!

2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.

3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.

Giveaway Rules:

There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on September 2, 2017. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.

Grand Prize:

1) Uke Republic Package: Kala Ukadelic Series Soprano Ukuleles (Ukulele Only) (Retail: $50 USD)

null

There are 4 different designs to choose from. The winner may select the one they like the most.

Watch and hear this sweet uke!

THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR!

Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/

Let’s crush this challenge!

kayleighb

Wow super hard challenge for me this month. I showed my other half the video and he actually laughed at me attempting it ha! Let’s see how this goes…..!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Lol Kay 🙂 If you think this arrangement may be too hard for your current ability, try it anyway! Even if you don’t end up learning the whole song, you will get better in the process! Hope you have fun and good luck!

And if you need help, I’m here for you 🙂

kayleighb

Oh I fully intend to give it a go! Will just take it really slow and bar by bar. My fingers will hate me ha!

lisadmh
    Participant

Challenging for me too, but I’m in! Very slow and hopefully steady. Thanks for pushing me to try the daunting level two.

Edited an youth and a half later to say: I love this challenge! The Hawaiian blues one is awesome. It’ll be a process, but thank you for recharging me. I was getting bored and unfocused. This is perfect. 👍

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by lisadmh.
    edward
    Participant

I’m up for the challenge! Like Lisadmh said “I was getting board and unfocused” . Sometimes I need a Kick in the pants, Thanks for the kick Andrew.

connie
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

Your challenges are three for three with me now in having something that I am working on. Did you magically know I am working on (aka struggling with) chucking for the Blues module in the Beginner’s Lesson?

BTW, I pulled out a Uke song book last week that I had bought a Christmas, but had set aside because I couldn’t figure out the music notations like : and D.S. al Coda, etc. After reviewing the Beginner module on music notations again, I was able to study the songs and figure out how to play what part when! I am so excited!!

Thanks,
    Connie

kayleighb

Couple of really early questions – from a complete beginner!

1. Struggling to get my fingers to either pluck the chord or strum the chord – mixing the two has me all confused – I assume this will just come in time? So for example because you pluck the very first G, when it comes to the F in bar 2 I end up picking rather than strumming!

2. Any tips when you are picking the chord to get the A string to really ring out? I obviously have less strength in my ring finger as you can hear strings 2-4 fine, but string 1 often gets drowned out. Again, assuming muscle memory will help here?

Kay

Andrew
    Keymaster

That’s what I’m here for guys, your Uke Drill instructor lol 🙂 And that’s awesome Connie!

Guys, since this challenge is harder, post all your questions on this forum post as it relates to the 2 challenge songs. The deadline for questions will be Aug 11. I’ll post a video on the 18th answering all questions that I deem to be of quality and helpful to those working on these 2 tunes.

tessa84

In your video teaching Aloha ‘Oe you are playing a tenor ukulele correct? Mine is a concert with no cutaway so I am having a difficult time barring on that twelfth fret, I would appreciate any advice you can give. Also on that chord it feels more comfortable for me to use my ring finger on the first string of the fifteenth fret instead of my pinkie, is that ok for me to do or will it get me into a bad habit later on? Thank you for this challenge since I need to work on my Barr chords and I love how it gets me out of my comfort zone of playing on the first three frets lol. Pretty nervous about playing this one but I am taking it slow learning the song bit by bit and I look forward to this learning experience. Tessie

lisadmh
    Participant

Hi Andrew. It’s only day 2, but the biggest problem I’m having is figuring out how to arrange ten sheets of paper around me in a viewable way. It isn’t pretty in my living room and entirely too enticing for the cats.

Is it hard/easy/possible/reasonable to post tabs with just the main part (rhythm) to fit more on a page? If this is a big ask, please ignore it in favor of creating new arrangements 🙂 🙂 but I thought I’d put it out there. Thanks!

lisathoyt

Having the same problem/question as lisadmh..
    thanks

philrab66
    Participant

Faststone Capture
    If you download that you can capture just the bits you want and then paste the bits you want

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks for all the questions so far guys! One favor to ask: Please include the song title with the question too.

olphart
    Participant

Yup, hard fer sher, but I was up for until I started getting pain in my forearm when fretting. Took a day off playing and it improved, but I think I’d better take it easy.
    I’m still going to work on Waimanolo Blues, but at a VERY relaxed pace..just for the learning. Doing the first 4 bars for now and that’ll do for a while.
    Uke on!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.