Participate in the August 2017 Member Challenge – Hawaiian Themed

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the August 2017 Member Challenge – Hawaiian Themed

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Oh, in that case it would take quite a bit of rewriting to drop those sections down an octave. Which would also loose the nice “movement” sound that is produced as we jump from higher to lower and lower to higher in this arrangement.

tessa84

I made one or two little mistakes, because of nerves I think. I keep telling myself that I’m still a beginner and that it’s ok if I don’t play it perfectly right away, if I do my best I can only improve from there. So here it is!

lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks for the video answers! I knew you were going to say memorize. 😏 I’ve got about two pages memorized, unreliably. I actually cut the pages and pasted, keeping only the rhythm line and losing all the empty bars. 5 pages now. Somewhat easier.

For the question about making the a string ring, I wonder if she meant when plucking all four strings together. That’s the problem I have. The a is drowned out when plucking all four. Any advice there?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Tessa, that was fantastic! I wouldn’t call you a beginner anymore 🙂

Lisa, can you post a video? I’ll be better able to help if I can see/hear what is happening.

ser_ser

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for pointing that out, I do feel pushing too much especially with bar chords on higher position,

and finger hurts!

I will work on this thanks!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Glad it was helpful ser_ser 🙂

kayleighb

Super helpful as always. I will try dropping that G chord shape when I do the pull off in bar 26 as suggested.

As Lisa said, the issue I was having is when I plucked all 4 strings, strings 2-4 overpowered string 1 so you couldn’t hear that higher note.

I’ve found though as I have been practising that if I pluck the chord lighter I get a much more even tone.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Kay, Lisa pm’d me a video. She was lifting her hand up after the slap, then putting it back down to pluck. Which created a time gap, furthermore makes it harder to pluck evenly – as you have figured out 🙂

If it’s helpful, here is what I sent to her:

lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks Andrew. I love the video instructions. I will work on it. And y’all can keep me accountable for my progress!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Glad it was helpful 🙂

lisathoyt

If I leave out the solo is that bars 30-43?

Meaning for the whole thing
    Bars 1-29
    Bars 9-29
    Bars 44-56

Thanks

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by lisathoyt.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Lisa, I would not omit that section, instead I’d recommend to play the rhythm part instead of the lead. Great practice for rhythm/backbeat playing in that section 🙂

thidmark

Here’s my Aloha Oe video. Still needs improvement 🙂

– Pam

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Andrew.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Pam that was awesome! Great job, I loved your performance 🙂 Keep up the good work!

thidmark

Thank you, Andrew. You are an awesome teacher!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.