Participate in the August 2020 Member Challenge – Theme: Songs You Requested!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the August 2020 Member Challenge – Theme: Songs You Requested!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    aloooy
    Participant

Please don’t add this to the monthly entry draw. Already had my first video entry posted earlier.

I just want to share this, recording again of Rainbow connection this time on an electric ukulele. I loved the overall effect of the longer sustain compared to my acoustic uke.

rickeymike
    Participant

Hiya Fink, I enjoyed your play on both instruments! I like the first one a little better, it seems like it has better sustain.

rickeymike
    Participant

gmflin8 – nice playing. this would be a great song to noodle to as per Matt’s live lesson.

Anne – very nice! Great to see you playing!

Aloooy – Your extra work shows! nice sustain.

rickeymike
    Participant

Wow Aloooy. just saw your second post. That’s quite the instrument and the sustain produced is absolutely wonderful.

gmflin8
    Participant

@aloooy that is such a cool instrument.

I am so thrilled to see everyone’s instrument collections

Andrew
    Keymaster

rebeca – Well done! Your performance was great! The only suggestion I have is to think a little bit about how we can add some finesse to your phrasing. For example, some notes or chords could be played a little bit softer or louder than others – and this also helps to add to the dynamics of a piece. Check out this lesson for some ideas on how to expand on this concept.

gmflin8 – Here’s my feedback for you and here are the barre chord lessons I recommend reviewing: Lesson 1, Lesson 2, Lesson 3.

annefgodfrey – Well done, Anne and awesome to see you back! I thought you did an excellent job, the only suggestion I have is to focus your practice on one section at a time. So Melody B breaks down into two 8 bar sections. Master one section before moving onto the next. And Melody C breaks down into 3 sections: 4 bars, 4 bars, and 6 bars.

aloooy – It’s awesome to hear you experimenting with subtleties! One thing you didn’t mention that you did quite a bit of was vibrato – which is perfect for this tune too. Keep working on the little things, they make a huge difference in the overall scope of developing your own unique sound.

planetfink – I’m glad you’re a fan now, because you play it beautifully Kathy 🙂

gmflin8
    Participant

Aloha Andrew

Thanks for the video.

Yes, I will pay special attention to the suggested fingering as I still explore my way around playing. It makes sense that these intentionally designed fingerings would help with the transition to the next note.

Yes, to watch out for finger bendingYes, go back to the bar chord lessons

Yes, fingers not push down enough or touch another string

To connect to Matt’s live session this month, I do need to continue working on these basic skills 🙂
    Thanks for pointing them out to me. MUch appreciated.

qiuyan
    Participant

I didn’t grow up with The Muppets as a kid, but I fell in love with Rainbow Connection as soon as I heard it! It’s so beautiful and I am so happy to learn it and play it myself. Thanks to rockclass101 and to Matt for the arrangement and tutorial!

annefgodfrey
    Participant

A link to story behind Paul Williams, Rainbow Connection. Williams describes his song as one not written for children but “for the child in all of us”.

Thank you, Andrew, for choosing Rainbow Connection as one of August challenges.
    Thank you, Matt, for beautiful arrangement & helpful instructions.

Special thanks to Andrew, Kathy & Ricky Mike for words of encouragement.

Heartfelt gratitude for Rock Class 101.

nohabaity

Here’s my take on rainbow connection🌈

Andrew
    Keymaster

@qiuyan – Beautiful played, but don’t forget to check your tuning before recording 😉

@nohabaity
    – Bravo, well done! 🙂

qiuyan
    Participant

@Andrew You caught me! I have two almost identical ukuleles for some reasons and therefore kind of alternate between using them, sometimes put them in different rooms for easier access. Yesterday after I practiced a while on uke1, I found it sounding a bit dull somehow even with tuning, so I switched to uke2 (which I haven’t used this week) before recording this attempt, and forgot that I should tune uke2 too. I checked uke2 with tuner just now: the G string was a little bit off and the E string was very off… Also, uke2’s action is slightly higher than uke1 so I may have not pressed the strings at lower frets firm enough… Wish I have good ears as you do…

Btw, I’ve watched some videos for changing strings, but how do I tell that the strings are actually worn out and that I do need to change strings? Like my uke1 sounded a bit dull yesterday even with tuning but seemed totally fine today… Also, since I have two identical ukes, I was thinking of converting one of them to a low G for fun, when the original strings are worn out. Can I just buy a set of low G strings to replace them? Or is there any specifial requirement on the uke itself? Thanks!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@qiuyan – temperature and humidity plays a factor in sound. Try to keep humidity levels constant by using a humidifier. If the strings sound consistently dull, it’s time for a change.

Usually ukes need adjustments when switching to high or low G. I’d take it to a music shop if you have one close by.

ukandrea
    Participant

Hi Andrew,
    I am a beginner and want to participate for this unique prize with my audio recording of Rainbow Connection.
    Andrea

Andrew
    Keymaster

@ukandrea – Well done! This is def a “hard” beginner tune. And I thought you did a wonderful job. Couple things I’d work on is keeping the timing steady by focusing on one section at a time. Most songs can be broken into 2, 4, or 8 bar sections. Master one section before moving onto the next.

The other area I’d work on is increasing the sustain, so one chord/note rings into the next.

I’d continue to work on this tune, but I’d also suggest picking an easier one to work on these concepts 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 143 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.