Participate in the August 2020 Member Challenge – Theme: Songs You Requested!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the August 2020 Member Challenge – Theme: Songs You Requested!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 143 total)
  • Author
    ccwuke
    Participant

Was all set to learn Wonderful Tonight this month until I heard Rainbow Connection and just had to play it!

Chris

rebeca
    Participant

@Andrew I´ll have a look at that lesson. I´m sure It´ll be very useful and I´m really interested in practising dynamics. Thank you for the feedback! 🙂

Well done everyone! I´m enjoying your performances a lot.

Btw, it seems that this month Rainbow connection is getting the upper hand. I´m looking forward to more people going with Harvest moon. I love watching other people playing the same tune I chose and I also think that this is an excellent weay to learn.

Take care and have a nice summer.

eszti5mail
    Participant

Hi Guys, here is my attempt on Rainbow Connection. I really fell in love with this song 🙂
    Eszter

brettboy
    Participant

Hi Rockclass101 Friends!
    I learned Harvest Moon this month. Here is my Youtube video 🙂

lisadmh
    Participant

Great job Brettboy. As usual, you went above and beyond. It sounds great on both. It’s interesting to hear it on the Baritone. Might there be a baritone in my future? Did you play it at all the same frets, not transposing?

Eszter, great job on Rainbow. You’ve got a great mellow feel.

brettboy
    Participant

Thanks lisadmh! Yup, I played the piece exactly the same on my bari. By doing this the piece was transposed to G because the bari is tuned DGBE.

tric_o_tronic
    Participant

I am a premium member

Thanks for this great arrangement of rainbow connection.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

godmustbecrazy
    Participant

I have made an attempt to Rainbow connection but Iam unable to attach the song in this site

Can any one help me

Andrew
    Keymaster

@godmustbecrazy – if you copy/paste the YouTube or SoudCloud URL into its own line it will self-embed. For ex:

YOUTUBE LINK

godmustbecrazy
    Participant

godmustbecrazy
    Participant

I forgot to mention:

Iam a premium member

qiuyan
    Participant

Thank you Andrew!

PLEASE DO NOT ADD THIS POST TO THE RAFFLE, because I already had one entry posted earlier.

I just realized this weekend that Rainbow Connection only goes up to 7th fret, which is finally a perfect match for my 12-fret-only Soprano 🙂 So I recorded it on Soprano today and also tried using thumb for down strumming instead of index finger.

I have a small question from this shift. I like the sound of thumb strumming better, but still feel more comfortable strumming with index finger (at least when strumming all 4 strings). I feel that if I strum with my index finger, I can just slightly and quickly rotate my forearm and wrist and back, so my hand is in a relatively stable position (i.e. fingers with respect to the 4 strings); but if I strum with my thumb, I’d have to actual shift my entire hand to a lower position in order to make the thumb strum ring well, so the other fingers are no longer at a good position with the strings and the move of the entire hand is slower, which is fine for a slow-pace song like this, but it feels a bit awkward to me. Am I doing something wrong with my way of thumb strumming (from the video)? Or is it just me lack of practice to be more comfortable? Thanks!

biancak
    Participant

I’m a premium member and this is where I am now – struggling to keep focus and flow for the total length of the song…

Nice arrangement, thanks.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@ccwuke – That was an excellent performance, Chris! I can tell you put a lot of work into it and it sounds awesome! I have one suggestion and it’s not something that you’re not doing, but rather something I’d like to see you concentrate more-so on, which is: finesse as it relates to playing “softer”.

Try to lighten up your touch/attack to play softer. For example, if you listen to the first four bars of Melody C and contrast that to what Matt played before, you’ll notice that it has a much softer feel. A lot of this comes down to Matt’s attack which is greatly lightened, but it’s also the difference in sound he gets by using an arpeggiated roll for the first chord hit of Melody C instead of a strum. So to summarize: lighter plucking/strumming or using a softer attack – like the arpeggiated roll, which we taught in this etude.

So experiment with that and check out this lesson for some ideas on how to expand on this concept.

@eszti5mail
    – Beautifully played and great feel! One tip, for that barre chord at 40 seconds in, make sure you’re not too on top of the bar. Your index finger should be as close to the bar, but not on top of it. That should help with getting that chord to ring out better. But again, excellent job overall & keep up the great work!

@brettboy
    – Super well done this month, Brett! Keep up the excellent work 🙂

@tric_o_tronic
    – Well done, it sounds awesome! I think at this point I’d start experimenting with these ideas that I talked about in this video feedback I made for another member earlier this month.

Oh and watch out for bending at the first joint – like your middle finger and index in the G5 at 17 seconds. For the most part, we always want to keep fingers curved at the first joint.

@godmustbecrazy
    -Well done! So the big thing that I want you to work on with your playing is to lighten up your right hand plucking and strumming attack. Check out this video that I made awhile back for another member, it talked about this song – but the concept of what you should work on is identical to what I discussed in it. For your playing, it’s more-so what I talked about as related to the right hand, but the info on the left hand is great to know as well.

@qiuyan
    – Thanks for the heads up, I totally pasted your name on the list again until I read the note LOL. You’re playing sounds beautiful, and the way you’re going about using the thumb is what I call the “floating” method. Go back and watch Matt play the song, you’ll notice that he uses his four fingers to “anchor” (touch) the edge of the body. Give that way a shot and see if it feels a little bit more comfortable or natural to you. But there is no right or wrong way, just preference.

@biancak
    – I thought your performance was excellent! One thing that I do want to point out is the rhythm in bar 29. There’s a quarter note triplet in this measure. Quite a tricky rhythm to play as you’re playing three hits over the span of a half note. Check out this lesson (bottom of page) for a breakdown on the rhythm of it and then jump into this lesson where Chris explains it as it relates to strumming – but the same concepts would apply to fingerpicking.

godmustbecrazy
    Participant

Hi Andrew
    Thank you so much for the feedback..
    I got hurt in my thump while practicing barre chord.. Once it is heal I will work on right hand plucking and strumming as well as left hand positioning .. 😇😇

I was looking for a good and right trainer for months who will guide and nurture in uku world and you are one such trainer.. Thank you and stay blessed 🙏😇

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 143 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.