December 1, 2021 at 12:13 pm #49574
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #57 AND for the 5th year in a row, we are teaming up with The Ukulele Kids Club. They are a charity that is doing amazing things! Their mission is to harness the healing power of music by supporting music therapy programs and gifting ukuleles to hospital-based music therapy programs so that children in need can be sent home with the gift of music for life.
Over the last 4 years, our community came together and raised OVER $6,500 USD! Enough to donate 162 ukuleles to children in need! This year, we’re doing it again! Here’s how it will work:
I will be donating $7 for each entry that comes in this month, up to $500. So that means, our participation goal for this month is 72 members.
I also want to go a step further and ask that if you have the means available to please make a donation. Any amount helps, but our community is LARGER and STRONGER than the previous years and I believe we can help bring a smile to A LOT of kids! Our donation goal for this year is to raise $2,000 USD for the charity! That would be enough money to purchase 40 ukuleles at $50 a piece. If you do donate, please let me know! When you submit your audio or video performance, please leave a message saying that you did. 🙂 Or, if you wish to remain anonymous, please email me.
You can donate directly on their site: https://theukc.org/donations/. This donation page supports U.S. Hospitals. If you live in Canada, U.K., Japan, Mexico, France, Dominican Republic, or Taiwan please contact them for further instructions on how to donate to a specific region: [email protected].
Here is a short video which dives deeper into some of the great work The Ukulele Kids Club is doing 🙂
We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a K-2 Ukulele! This tenor sized model is crafted with premium Koa wood and retails for $2,134 USD.
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 2,800+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 5 RC101 Lessons:
1) “My Favorite Things” * – A unique take on a classic melody. This arrangement uses intricate chord voicings to create a lush harmony.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
2) “Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer” * – A cheerful take on a classic Christmas carol. This arrangement is perfect for the beginner fingerstyle player.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
3) “Sevivon Sov Sov Sov” * – An exciting fingerstyle take on a popular Hebrew Hanukkah song.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE! (REQUIRES LOW G UKULELE)
4) “Last Christmas” * – A cheerful take on a modern-day Christmas classic.
* Premium Members have EARLY ACCESS to this lesson and arrangement. It will be released on 12/3.
5) “What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve?” * – A sultry take on a classic New Year’s song.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE! Premium Members have EARLY ACCESS to this lesson and arrangement. It will be released on 12/10.
Note: This lesson is for Low G ukulele, but can be played on High G. If you choose this song, you MUST sing and play.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Don’t worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer” OR “What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve?”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “My Favorite Things”, “Sevivon Sov Sov Sov”, OR “Last Christmas”
3. Participation Goal: 72 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 5 RC101 pieces anytime between Wednesday, December 1st till Thursday, December 23rd, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our October Challenge: Moon Songs!
Second Chance: Participate in our November Challenge: Solo to Ensemble!
Third Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On Christmas Eve (December 24th at 12 PM EST), I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele!
To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize.
You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of December and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
Note: Previous Kanile’a winners are more than welcome to participate, but will not receive an entry for the prize.
1) $2,134 Grand Prize! Includes:
OUR 6 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!
K-2 Tenor Ukulele
Premium Curly Koa Body
Solid Mahogany Neck Thin Black/White/Black Rosette Black Front Binding
Ebony Fingerboard, Bridge, and Head Plate
Standard Kanile`a Crown Headstock
Kanile`a Open Geared Tuners
Ebony Bridge Pins
NuBone Nut and Saddle
Pāua (Abalone) Position Markers and Logo
Other Features: Includes a semi-rigid case by Music Area
One of our premium members, Bethany ( @bethany_guardiani ) creates the cutest key chains! Check out the video below to find out how to win!
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!December 1, 2021 at 1:28 pm #49575myukemylifeParticipant
Lovely Christmas songs to learn☺️🤩December 1, 2021 at 3:23 pm #49579deadbuggyParticipant
Andrew — a $50 donation has been made to the Uke Kids Club. And please don’t enter me in this month’s contest. First, I already won a lovely uke this year. Second, I didn’t exactly follow the rules 😉
I had another version of My Favorite Things from Christoper’s Patreon page that I was working on. It occurred to me that it was similar in some respects to another ‘favorite’ song so I figured out a chord melody and smushed the two together.
Thanks for another great year of music and lessons. Happy Holidays to all!December 1, 2021 at 3:54 pm #49580lyndallkParticipant
I’m a premium member
Here is my version of S’vivon Sov Sov Sov (Dreidel spin spin spin). When you sing this song, you speed up. So I tried that with AJ’s gorgeous arrangement. If nothing else, it makes me laugh!
Sara nice version of My Favourite Things!
PS Andrew I’ll make a $30 donation to Uke Kid’s ClubDecember 1, 2021 at 5:02 pm #49581December 1, 2021 at 5:11 pm #49584planetfinkParticipant
I am a premium member.
I was hoping Sevivon Sov Sov Sov would be on the Dec. challenge. My version is a little rough, but since Hanukkah is half over I wanted to get it done. I changed a few notes to make it sound more like the melody I’m familiar with. @lyndallk I love your version. Beyond my ability to speed it up like that, but really fun to listen to.December 1, 2021 at 5:56 pm #49586maryjanewParticipant
I will be donating to $50 to UKC like I have for the last couple years since joining RC101.
I will most likely stick with beginner friendly “Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer”, which is still challenging for me! I don’t have the time this month to attempt a song that I am NOT familiar with.
I love “…Favorite Things” but I am already working on a simplified chord melody version in the key of Dm, which was taught last month at “DaniJoyMusic.com”
I love Christopher Davis-Shannon but I can’t learn a new version right now! 😜
Maybe I’ll post my version of “Favorite Things” after I post my “Rudolf” entry for this month.
Thanks for the lessons Andrew and RC101 Crew!!!
Happy Chanuka and Merry Christmas!
MJDecember 1, 2021 at 6:04 pm #49587lyndallkParticipant
Nice version @planetfink. And so nice to have the lit chanukia in the background.
Glad you liked the fast version. That recording may have been the only one where all the harmonics worked!December 2, 2021 at 1:49 am #49589gi_gi_Participant
@Deadbuggy That was wonderful. I would much rather learn your version. Your uke is gorgeous.
@Andrew Christopher Davis Shannon is an amazing talented artist but that version is so complicated. All I kept saying as he explained his arrangement is, “why?!” 😫
December 2, 2021 at 3:43 am #49591ukandreaParticipant
- This reply was modified 12 months ago by gi_gi_.
Oh, a beautiful Last Christmas arrangement from Steven Warren – what a Christmas present – thank you, thank you!!!!
AndreaDecember 2, 2021 at 11:10 am #49592debb1985Participant
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
Happy Holidays! Here is my take on Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. This was a fun one to play and my kids enjoyed hearing me play it 🙂
I also plan on learning Last Christmas because…well it’s WHAM! It will be a good challenge for me and if I get it down I will post that video later in the month.
P.S. I also made a donation of $50 to UKC 🙂 and everyone’s videos so far are great!December 2, 2021 at 9:22 pm #49613
@planetfink – I love the changes you threw in there! Performance was excellent, great feel throughout 🙂
@maryjanew – TY so much for your generous donation MJ!!
@debb1985 – Excellent playing, Debb! And TY so much for your generous donation 🙂
Have fun with the Wham! tune! I look forward to hearing it!December 3, 2021 at 7:16 am #49624melaniehParticipant
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I love Christmas songs! This is my entry for this month’s challenge. I added some extra notes, strumming and increased the tempo a bit – just few changes to add a personal touch 😉
I’m loving all your posts!!
Here’s Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer (played by a reindeer 😅)
Take care everyone and have a happy holidays! ❤️
December 3, 2021 at 12:20 pm #49631December 3, 2021 at 2:43 pm #49635
- This reply was modified 12 months ago by melanieh.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.