Participate in the February 2018 Member Challenge – Blues Themed!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the February 2018 Member Challenge – Blues Themed!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Brett, that was amazing! I loved your performance, great job! I shared this on our Facebook page today too 🙂 There’s only one thing I wanted to point out to you, and it’s something I’ve seen on a few of your videos; and that’s to try to keep your thumb behind the neck, as sometimes it likes to stick out in front of the fretboard.

brettboy
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I see what you saying Andrew. When I get to theme 4 (measure 25) my left thumb does not want to stay behind the next. But I can see how I’d probably get more control and fumble less during the walk up parts if I can retrain my hand.

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure! I’d say be cognitive of it while you practice this week and if you have any trouble or issues, let me know and maybe we can figure out why it comes forward.

haroldp

hello Friends!

First of all let me introduce my self my name is harold from Miami i have been learning ukulele and rock101 member for about a month now . its been a blast going thru the courses and songs ! thanks andrew for your great tutorials .

Here is my submit for uke blues.. i get lost on the timing on the last part but ohh well 🙂 still a long road for me .

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by haroldp.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Harold, that was so cool! Love the drum beat! What an excellent way to help keep in time and groove 🙂 I made a little video to help you with some of the lick rhythms. Let me know if you have questions. Keep up the good work!

lisadmh
    Participant

Harold, I love the energy and the drums in that. So fun to watch!

I went back to work after Andrew’s advice and I think I’ve improved a bit. Still can’t get that last lick clean though.

A few days short of my one year ukiversary, here’s another stab at Uke Blues.

haroldp

Thanks Andrew for the video ! very helpful tips and comments . i definitely need to practice in my rhythm and triplets . it’s hard for me to count and play at the same time. i’ll start practicing with a metronome app to get the feel of those complex changes.

also i realized from you comments that i missed a couple of slides in the song.

oh! and that last note :S .upps :

haroldp

thanks lisadmh!

Still can’t get that last lick clean though.

i know ! that last part is super tricky!.

good job ! on that second video definitely an improvement!

rickeymike
    Participant

Lisa, I think you sped up this video. Haha. Your strumming hand was a blurry bluesy boffo beaut! WTG!

lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks guys. It’s the first time ever I’ve been able to follow the on screen tab viewer at full speed!

vidafntn
    Participant

Hi, Andrew,
    Here is my offering for this month’s challenge. Blues Shuffle played on baritone ukulele.

Once again, I am not entering to win anything. It is just for fun.
    It would have been nice to have had another week to polish this piece, but my father-in-law is seriously ill. We are flying out to Ontario from BC Friday morning. It is the earliest we could get away. With all that is going on and our preparations to leave, I did not want to leave this posting to the last minute.

This performance needs more work. I sped up when playing the strummed sections of this piece. I also had problems with sweaty fingers creating the effect of unwanted pull offs.

rickeymike
    Participant

Very good, Vida. Heard a little bit of Peter Gunn in the song.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Lisa, great job on the speed! But, one big thing I want to point out in your playing, which is to lighten up your attack. It sounds like you were pushing and hitting very hard, which probably resulted from it being a lot of takes 🙂

A light touch prevents injury, helps you play more efficiently, and produces a sweeter tone.

—-

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law, Vida. I’ll keep him in my prayers. I thought you did very well, that one is a fun one to play! It’s interesting to hear your performance, I see you sped up for the last rhythm. Which was exactly what I kept doing, and really had to practice for the recording to stay closer to the original tempo. But, I think it’s just a natural thing, as that part feels like it should jump up in speed.

Good ear Rickey! That phrase is very similar to that melody. I actually wrote a rough draft for a lesson on that tune, hopefully I’ll release it at some point this year 🙂

kayleighb

Hi guys. Having to sit this months challenge out. Got some family stuff going on so haven’t picked my uke up for a couple weeks. Lost my mojo a bit but hopefully back up for next month. Really enjoying the videos that have been posted so far 😊

abaluyot
    Participant

Hi Andrew –

Here is my first-ever entry to a Member Challenge. I loved working on it. Thanks for the awesome work that you do.

Anna

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by abaluyot.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.