January 30, 2018 at 11:37 am #15446
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with site member challenge #12! WOW, this marks 1 entire year of challenges which saw over 325+ members participating in! If you sat on the sidelines for the last year, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players 🙂
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick one from the following 4 Rock Class 101 Blues Themed Genre Lessons:
1) Green Tea – Learn a relaxing, bluesy chord melody which you can jam along to with a bass and cajon backing track (or play as a stand alone piece).
2) Uke Blues – This arrangement makes use of combining strumming and licks (short solos) one after the other. It follows a standard 12 bar blues form in the key of A with a medium tempo.
3) Blues Shuffle – Add some classic blues licks to your repertoire while developing your rhythm playing.
4) Ukulele Boogie – An upbeat, bluesy tune that utilizes the entire neck for melodic runs.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner to Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast, slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: Green Tea
2. Intermediate Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: Uke Blues or Blues Shuffle
3. Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: Ukulele Boogie
4. Participation Goal: 25 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 Blues pieces anytime between Thursday, February 1st till Wednesday, February 28th, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on March 2nd, 2018. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
1) $100 Uke Republic Package! Includes:
THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
Let’s crush this challenge!January 30, 2018 at 7:01 pm #15453
I love love love the blues! I’ve been poking away at uke blues for like six months and can’t get the outro. In general the song is getting worse rather than better as I jump around at other songs, learn new skills that interfere with bad habits I was using on that song before, etc. It has been a bugbear for me. This will force me to clean it up. I also love the shuffle one though and would love to do that. Oh, what to do… 🙂
Fun prize too. Too cute. I really want to get my boyfriend backing me up on the shaker.January 30, 2018 at 8:02 pm #15456
Should be fun. I think that Uke Blues will be my realistic target, but I’m going to work on Blues Shuffle also as a stretch goal.February 1, 2018 at 3:31 am #15532
New month – new challenge. Green Tea for me – I’ve heard about the health benefits.
Happy plucking everyone and don’t forget February 2nd is World Play Your Ukulele Day.
AlastairFebruary 1, 2018 at 2:07 pm #15534
Nice challenge and nice prize! I will try Uke blues.February 1, 2018 at 3:04 pm #15535
Uke Blues turned out to be easier than I thought. Only took a day to get memorized and up to 80% tempo. I’ll keep polishing it, but it looks like Blues Shuffle will be my big project for the month. Got a lot more memorization to do for that one.February 1, 2018 at 4:07 pm #15536
Nice challenge Andrew thank you…. fancying a bit of a boogie! (although not advanced, it may be a shuffling boogie… time will tell )- I’m also very keen to get started on Havana and feel I may be driven to vibrato tomorrow! – so much to play, working is getting in the way!!! Like the tip about World play your ukulele day Alastair and it would be rude not to join in! (although alarmingly, when I looked this up, it appears to share the same day as ‘national working naked day’ No posting videos tomorrow then!) 😉February 1, 2018 at 5:50 pm #15537
Are y’all doing uke blues with the strums in the video lesson or the slaps in the tabs? They seem different, or am I missing something? I’m trying the slaps but it’s tricky.February 1, 2018 at 6:05 pm #15538
I’m doing muted strums, not slaps, which I believe is what Andrew does in the video.February 1, 2018 at 8:01 pm #15539
Hmmm. How do I do that… is it the same thing as a chuck?
February 1, 2018 at 8:26 pm #15542
- This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by lisadmh.
Yep, same thing 🙂 try to keep the hand in a claw for the slap, should make it much easier to get back to strumming since it’s a fast piece.February 3, 2018 at 10:29 am #15556
Gonna try the uke blues. I’ll concentrate on the licks first. Once I have them down, I’ll move on to the strumming. We’ll see how it goes.
I’ve been stuck on a plateau for a while, so this might move me ahead a littleFebruary 4, 2018 at 1:11 am #15563
What a cute prize this for this month’s challenge!
I’ve been kinda busy these days thus this entry was a little rush for me. I sort of messed it up but hopefully it still sound ok =D
This song is quite a challenge for me since i’m not used to going over the higher frets
February 6, 2018 at 3:17 pm #15570
- This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by jakeypoo.
Hey Andrew and Stephen. I’m going to play Green Tea…I’ve got a friend who is going to do the Ukulele part, and a friend who will play the beat box and I will play the Ubass. I’m wondering if you have bass tabs written out for this version? Thanks…I’m looking forward to having some fun with this and my friends. DebFebruary 6, 2018 at 7:14 pm #15571
I am between learning green tea or challenging myself with Uke blues.. so i think since i struggle with timing I will do green tea. This way I only have to focus on that and not tempo also.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.