Participate in the February 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Mixed Bag!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the February 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Mixed Bag!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    taylor22jane
    Participant

Learned Take Five this month… and a few audio recording and video editing techniques as well! One of my new favorites to play.

cashmpe
    Participant

Wow. That was really good! Sounded great and the split screen duet looked professional.

robinboyd
    Participant

@taylor22jane – I love the little trill you did at the end of the B melody. I might steal that!

ukandrea
    Participant

Hi Andrew/Matt/Nathalie,

I have really fun with the Take5 duet. I was already proud of how quickly I could memorize and play it and that I can do it nearly in time with the backtrack – BUT – I noticed when playing the nice high notes I have always other deep notes popping up in between as the strings stick on my fingers when lifting them off.
    Some months ago I had that sometimes in general with other songs and got rid off that problem with practice after watching Nathalie’s video on how to lift the fingers off.
    But at the high notes it just does not work for me.

Thank you very much if anyone can help me!!!
    Andrea

Andrew
    Keymaster

@ukandrea – For passages that move downward (i.e. strings 3 to 1), you can use the palm of your right hand to mute the strings as you move down. This lesson covers this concept in great detail.

You will have to alter your pick attack, it won’t be possible to do this while anchoring underneath the strings.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@lisadmh – I like that pace much more! I think it suits the piece better 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@debb1985 – Great job on the feel and pacing. That’s one of the hardest aspects to nail, well done. If I have to nitpick, I’d say a couple transitions seemed to have a slight hesitation. And watch out for curling your fingers inwards, like at 1:33. We always want them floating above the fretboard ready to be employed.

@marianne
    – Great job on the work around! Timing sounds spot on and nice vibrato. I like that you focus on the subtleties in your playing. That goes a long way in shaping the overall sound.

@effortless
    – Well done, great playing overall 🙂

@brettboy
    – Groove is the big takeaway of this lesson and you aced it! Great job, Brett!

@taylor22jane
    – that was awesome! Performance is great and I love the trill. Great idea!

2 tips for the video: Try not to cut off any of the neck in the shot. Most folks focus solely on the left hand, so we want it to be fully visible throughout. Also, try to center your body in the shot too.

debb1985

Thanks @Andrew 🙂 I worked really hard on getting the feel right for this one. I will definitely work on my curling fingers…I think they run in fear because they know a barre chord is coming lol!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by debb1985.
    marianne
    Participant

Thanks a lot @Andrew 🙂

taylor22jane
    Participant

@Andrew thanks for the video tips, I see what you mean! I’ll pay more attention to cropping when using the split screen effect.

myukemylife
    Participant

yessss!!!!

nthibode

Hi Andrea,

Sorry to hear you’re having more finger-sticking string-noise problems! If you change your picking attack (index/middle/ring instead of thumb), then you could try muting to solve the problem, like Andrew said. For what it’s worth, I like to mute the strings with my right thumb instead of my palm (see attached pic) — just a bit easier for me to do.

Maybe Matt knows the secret since he’s using his thumb and not palm muting!

Good luck,
    ~Nathalie

ukandrea
    Participant

Thank you Andrew & Nathalie for your feedback.
    I also find it easier to pick with multi fingers than with the thumb. I am just doing it because Matt suggested that in the tutorial and in slow songs the sound is softer/sweeter with the thumb. But for this fast song I think multi finger approach works better for me.
    I will continue practicing and will see where I am ending 🙂
    Happy strumming,
    Andrea

nthibode

… Because 2 Chord Jam (no.2) begs to be played with sunglasses on 😎

Awesome work so far this month! Keep it up xo.

gstriph
    Participant

Hi Andrew…

hopefully this isn’t a stupid question but I notice that you periodically slide your left hand up and down the neck in 2-chord jam (for example between 34 and 40 seconds at the start of the lesson video). It’s not to go up an play a chord. Is it just a stylistic thing? Is it for timing? Are you doing something with the strings. I’ve seen in in a couple of different songs.

Thanks,
    Jerry

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.