Participate in the February 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Mixed Bag!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the February 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Mixed Bag!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    wongbrown

Hello everyone,

I have chosen 2 Chord Jam. It is such fun to play. The tempo is fast and I struggled a bit. Oh well, I have done my best. Here is my submission. Thanks.

malku2603
    Participant

Thank you @Andrew I will definitely work on that 😊😊😊.

ramiro
    Participant

I learned the 2 chord Blues for this month’s challenge. Since I also do the 100 days of ukulele project, which started January 31st, I logged the practice time and published one recording per week to track my learning progress. The other videos are on the same Youtube channel, in case anyone is interested.

In this last recording I think I kind of sacrificed accuracy for tempo. Especially, in the B melody the notes could ring out more clearly. On the plus side the harmonics at the end worked well as far as I’m concerned. In any case a fun and cool sounding song to learn with some tricky parts.

concan
    Participant

Hey everyone,

I chose Take Five because i like the rhythm. Unfortunately not every note is played cleanly, sometimes my fingers, especially the pinky, just slip away. I had a lot of fun and it is my first piece that i played without looking at the notes and i hope it will stay in my finger memory for a long time.

maryjanew
    Participant

I am enjoying watching all the entries this month. Good job!
    The song choices were good in February but I was not able to participate this Month.
    I was sick most of February, But I am better now so I will look forward to participating
    in March!

johanna2509
    Participant

Here is my take on Gymnopédie No.1. What a beautiful arrangement!
    It wasn’t easy to record such a long piece without mistakes or noises in the background… I guess there are one or two string buzzzes.
    Having a busy time right now, but I’m glad I made it this month.

biancak
    Participant

@Andrew
    Thanks for the advice. I have to admit my first knee jerk reaction was “No, I don’t need slow practice, I know the notes already.”
    But yesterday I played bar 12 & 14 very slowly a million times. That’s the part of going up 0-2-3-5-7-8-10-12 and I change to first finger on fret 7.
    Here is the result of the trouble shooting:
    1) sometimes I’m slow and I pick the note before my finger is actually properly on fret7. It’s a fraction of a second but affects the sound.
    2) sometimes I’m there on time but not with the correct hand position. I compared how I’d do bar 14 if the piece started there to how I hold my hand if I play with bar 12 in front of it. Within this part I realised that
    a) sometimes it’s my arm not moving with the hand and I just try to stretch from basic position
    b) with fret7 and higher frets short nails matter more for good hand position and clearer sounds
    c) I rubbed off part of the varnish by now and there is a visible spot on the back of the neck that is no longer glossy and slightly trips over my thumb when moving up the neck. I guess I’ll apply some oil there.

I believe you could have guessed most of these but maybe it helps a fellow uke student with their next trouble shooting 🙂

P.S. do you have a maintenance guide for ukes?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by biancak.
    gstriph
    Participant

February is a short month! Here’s my submission.

Jerry

Andrew
    Keymaster

@biancak – Katie made a great video on uke maintenance 🙂

biancak
    Participant

Thank you

lbilkie
    Participant

Wow, I am almost too embarrassed to post this. I need another month of practice!! I will keep at it, though.

kittycatlin
    Participant

misskika
    Participant

Here’s my entry for 2 Chord Jam – what a fun song! I wanted to challenge myself to post the faster tempo version, even though the ending isn’t as clean. I had a lot of fun learning this!

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi everyone. Here is our attempt at Take 5. My timing was off in a few places and it’s a bit slower than Matt’s version, but Tiffany worked really hard to get her bit right and I’m pretty happy with what we achieved.

lildevil
    Participant

Still having sound issues with laptop to opted for my little iPhone, which isn’t much better. Got through one take before getting an alert i didn’t have enough storage to continue. Wasn’t up to dealing with it, so here is Take 1, such as it is.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.