Participate in the January 2018 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2018 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    tonydismukes

Andrew, I have multiple reasons for my ear training. I want to be able to be able to figure out songs by ear – transcribing both melodies and chord progressions. I want to become a better singer. I want to be better at improvising – if I hear something in my head I want to know what the notes actually are so I can get them out on the instrument. I want to be able to jam with other musicians without always having to memorize the charts beforehand. I want to better comprehend what is going on in a piece of music that I am listening to and enjoying.

In short, I want to better comprehend the language of music. Not just analytically in the sense of knowing music theory, but in the way a native speaker of French can intuitively carry on a conversation in that language.

ser_ser

Happy new year to everyone!

I just come back from holiday and couldn’t bring uke with me this time. here it is:

1) Execution – improving the performance for Canon D;

2) Application – working on error/ smooth the whole play;

3) Evaluation – I’m going to post the video end of month;

10 days to go.

here is the play in October to compare with.

kayleighb

Argh. I’ve hit the wall. I’ve got to that point where I just don’t feel I’m improving. I’m working on melody 3 of Canon, and I just can’t get it memorised which isn’t usually an issue. And thats on top of the fact that my fretting hand has just stopped listening to me. I know this is a super hard piece, and I’m still only a beginner so knew it was ambitious. Nothing anyone can help with, just got to break through my own mental barrier, so came here for a moan 😊 hope you are all hitting those goals. Happy Friday!

rickeymike
    Participant

Here’s my progress on my Strumming/picking self challenge. Oh, Gee. I just saw the thumbnail that youtube chose. Looks like I got caught with my hand in the cookie jar. Ha.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by rickeymike.
    cheick

Ok I chose for this challenge to 1)learn new song : Ode to joy, 2)to use the same finger positions than Andrew. I some difficulties to use my pinky for F(2) and 3)keep the rythm. Here is my 1st video what do you think ?

rickeymike
    Participant

Good job, Cheick.

cheick

Thank you Rickey

lisadmh
    Participant

Sounding great, Rickey and cheick.

Kayleigh, I share your pain. I’ve hit a plateau too and I’m just not improving at this song anymore.

Luckily there’s a brand new beginners song to mess around with for distraction.

sandigirl
    Participant

It’s Jan 21 st and just trying out the Basics.
    Would like to learn chopsticks with the Baritone Ukulele.
    Just learning but have some Mandolin\piano lessons behind me

rickeymike
    Participant

Lisa, That’s my biggest problem: Keeping up with my monthly challenge then getting distracted with a new beginners song. But no, chopsticks has to wait ’cause I need so much work on coordinating that Strum-slap-pick-strum-strum all while keeping the beat. UGH!

lisadmh
    Participant

You’re right, Rickey. F.o.c.u.s.! Mrrrph.

Spoiler alert, Chopsticks is actually a little tricky. I can play theme 2 at about 20% speed. Next month perhaps.

rickeymike
    Participant

Lisa, off the subject somewhat but do you and others have a conscious problem making conversation with all this space that Andrew gives us for a response? I feel like an environmentalist using up too much space. ha. ……..and I have no idea what those buttons mean and do at the top of each reply (b,i,link,b-quote,del img ul,ol,li,code, close tags)

Andrew
    Keymaster

Welcome back ser_ser!

—-

Rickey, the first section sounds great! Good timing/rhythm. Using the index to strum is fine, but I would also work on other approaches too.

—-

Don’t beat yourself up Kay. For some reason classical pieces are hard for me to memorize, and I actually read the tab as I performed that one. I think I did that too on Jesu, Joy Of Man’s Desiring.

—-

Absolutely beautiful Cheick. Keep up the great work!

—-

I’m glad you guys dig the new beginner tune. They are honestly the hardest arrangements for me to write, because it’s challenging to create something that’s really cool sounding but not impossible to play. Over the years, I’ve seen a lot of beginner material that was dull and uninspiring to perform. So it’s always a fun challenge for me to create the opposite and hopefully inspire beginners without making it too hard and frustrating.

lisadmh
    Participant

It’s all good, Andrew. Chopsticks actually sounds really cool and is definitely doable! I love your beginner ones that I can get through without too much blood sweat and tears.

Ricky, I’m happy to chat here in this space. I do hesitate sometimes since its such a quiet forum, but you and i can break that up a bit, lol.

tonydismukes

Kay & Lisa, one thing you might find encouraging is that in my experience those plateaus where you don’t feel like you’re improving are often the precursors to significant improvements.

This can happen in a couple of ways.

1) Sometimes your proficiency in execution actually is progressing – but your critical perception (your standards) is progressing just as fast or even faster. Sometimes this can make you feel like you are getting worse even though you aren’t.

2) Sometimes your execution isn’t progressing, but you’re still strengthening the neural pathways which underlie the physical movements. There can be a delay before you see the external results. I think of it like laying down fertilizer and water for a plant. You’re providing the prerequisites for growth, but you have to wait a while before you get visible outcomes.

That’s been my experience in various fields , not just music.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.