Participate in the January 2018 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2018 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    tessa84

So I am going to hold myself accountable. I haven’t been following through with my practice since my daughter got really sick and then after she got better I got really sick and I am still not getting over this sickness. I really wanted to be able to post a video this month since I missed so many months already but I’m not sure I’ll be able to learn the whole piece before the end of the month.

robinboyd
    Participant

Well, I’m running out of time because I start another tour guide job in a few days, so here it is. I told myself I would keep trying to get a clean take until the cat moved. She must have approved of this one because she got up right at the end. There are a few timing issues and a few notes that aren’t played cleanly. I put that down to the uke being very slippery today. It felt like it was coated in butter or something. Not sure why, but I just couldn’t get a grip on it. Anyway, here it is, warts and all.

Andrew
    Keymaster

No worries Tessa, post what you can 🙂 Hope you feel better soon!

—-

That was awesome Robin! You’ve been practicing. I’m impressed! Very clean (non-buttery, lol) playing! 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

I’ll be sharing your video on our Facebook Page tomorrow Robin. Really great job!

robinboyd
    Participant

Wow, thanks Andrew. I wasn’t expecting a compliment like that!

From my perspective I’m just happy that I managed the harmonic notes and that they didn’t adversely affect my timing. They took quite a bit of work to get comfortable with.

kayleighb

Tony such a lovely reply and just what I needed to hear 😊 I’ve taken a few days of playing to give myself a break and let me music batteries re-charge which is just as important as regular practise!

tonydismukes

Time for my weekly progress report:

I didn’t do so well this week on making my daily practice time commitment. I did practice every day, but on two days I failed to put in the full planned time. (One day I was busy with an overdue work project and another day I was just struggling with a bit of seasonal depression.) I managed an average of about 50 minutes per day.

The ear training is progressing. I’ve added chord recognition to my exercises. My melodic interval recognition is getting pretty reliable, but it’s slow. I have to listen to the notes, think about them for a couple of seconds and sometimes play the interval again. This will have to improve in order for me to do better on the “intervals in context” and melodic dictation exercises.

The songs in my repertoire are getting more and more solid. I’m still working on adding Wipeout to my list of memorized pieces, but I’m not there yet. I should finish getting that down this week.

I figure my performance piece for the end of the month with be Ode to Joy. That’s starting to sound pretty good.

I managed to bruise my left hand pretty badly at the dojo last night and it’s complaining about having to do much work today. Seems like a good day to work on right hand rhythm exercises. I’ll put in some work on the percussion section for Wipeout.

Spent some time watching Stu Fuchs on YouTube yesterday. Gave me some motivation to work harder this week.

I hope everybody is enjoying their practice as we approach the finish line for this month.

robinboyd
    Participant

Hey Tony, what martial art do you practice?

tonydismukes

Robin, my primary martial art is BJJ. (I teach as well as train.) I currently also do Judo, Muay Thai, Boxing, and Capoeira and have trained in a bunch of other stuff over the last 35 years or so.

robinboyd
    Participant

Oh wow, that’s a lot of stuff! I did aikido for 17 years. I quit a few months ago over personal differences, but I really miss the training.

lisadmh
    Participant

Hey Andrew, I wonder if you’d have a minute to advise on this hard bit of Seven Nation Army. I can’t get it clean and faster no matter how many times I loop it.

One sticking point is that my slap falls such that I can’t cleanly pluck the first string after. I’m not sure what the other sticking points are bit I suspect there are several. Any suggestions at all are welcome. Thanks!

tonydismukes

Robin, if you trained for 17 years, then you’ve got the bug. You’ll be back. If your old dojo doesn’t work for you any more, then check what else is available. Might be time to try a new art for a while.

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks Tony. I’ll look into other things at some point, but I’m feeling a bit flat and uninspired right now, so I’ll wait a little while.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Lisa, sorry for the delay! Here is a video to help ya out. Hopefully it makes sense, I’m super tired today. Let me know if you have any questions 🙂

cheick

This is my last attempt for this month challenge. I think I reached my goals.I played F(2) with my pinky. I think it made my playing unstable but it’s not bad. I really enjoyed to learn this piece. It’s the anthem of European Union and it’s in my repertoire now. Thanks you all for your support. Thanks Andrew I’m starting to leave the plateau for climbing anew and that makes me so happy 😉

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by cheick.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.