Participate in the January 2018 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2018 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    olphart

Oh wow, that’s a lot of stuff! I did aikido for 17 years. I quit a few months ago over personal differences, but I really miss the training.

I had to quit Kung Fu 5 years ago through a messed up knee, but I just went back, though at 74 it’s a LOT harder than it used to be. Once martial arts gets in your blood, there’s no escape LOL

Now back to music I go…

rickeymike
    Participant

That was really beautiful, Cheick.

cheick

Thanks Rickey 😉

foster_maclean
    Participant

First video post so hope the link works OK. Still having trouble moving to the G5 chord and also remembering to move through the sections with the right fingering.

One week to go!

Good luck everyone.

Alastair

Andrew
    Keymaster

Beautiful playing Alastair! Here are some tips to help ya out with that chord transition. Let me know if you have any questions 🙂

lisadmh
    Participant

Thank you Andrew! I’m working on your suggestions. The good news is I was stuck in a boring webinar today with a colleague and I showed her my mid month version of this song and I realized I have actually gotten better somewhat. Yay for boring webinar downtime.

I now get to 92 % speed before it all falls apart, keep on practicing!!

foster_maclean
    Participant

Thank you for the video feedback Andrew. I’ll be mindful of the positioning of the ring finger following the F chord and have a look at your Left Hand Form lesson.

I’ll have a go with the alternative fingerings for the G5 etc. chords. I had thought about using different shapes although I thought it might be ‘cheating’ not to use the fingering you showed in the lesson! As you say, anything to make it easier.

Alastair

lisadmh
    Participant

It’s the last Sunday of the month and here’s what I’ve got. There are still a lot of cheats to bring it down to my level, but I’m pretty happy with it for two weeks short of my one-year ukiversary.

Onward and upward! Thanks for the cool song Andrew.

tonydismukes

Nice work Lisa!

Meanwhile, your cat says “what does any of this have to do with taking care of my needs? Get your priorities straight, woman.”

lisadmh
    Participant

Lol. Thanks Tony. Kali actually likes listening to me play. She climbs up on the bed and we do the campfire thing all the time, me and her.

tonydismukes

I may have been projecting from my own experience. My cats regard any time I spend on the uke as time spent away from my primary duties as a kitty mattress.

lisadmh
    Participant

Your cats don’t appreciate the transcendental beauty of the mighty uke. One of mine is more sophisticated. My playing is my personal ode to her grooming regime. My other cat, not so insightful. Lol. 🐱🐱

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by lisadmh.
    edward
    Participant

Here’s my challenge for January. One on One with Andrew.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by edward.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Edward, looks like the video is “unavailable”. Can you try again?

vidafntn
    Participant

Here is my submission for this month’s challenge. This is the before video posted last November.

Here is the recording that I did tonight.

In the finger picking course, I have only gotten as far as the three finger approach. I am having difficulty getting the exercises up to their rated speed. The beginner exercise is supposed to go 180 bpm on quarter notes and exercise is eighth notes. I am having trouble getting the speed above 150 bpm. The intermediate exercise was only rated for 80 bpm on quarter notes with exercise being mostly triplets. I could get that much more easily. The Finger picking Etude #5 is supposed to be played at 200 bpm for quarter notes. Much of the picking pattern is in eighth notes. This will also be very difficult to achieve the rated speed.

Here is my practice schedule for the month.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.