Participate in the January 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Levels (Beg/Int/Adv)

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Levels (Beg/Int/Adv)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    misterbones
    Participant

Can I post a revised version of my entry? Hope this one is a little closer to what it’s supposed to be:

Sure enough, I just listened to the song once or twice to get a general idea what it sounds like, and from there on I just worked with the tab, as it seemed pretty straightforward. So at first I wondered what exactly was meant with “getting the rhythms a little more accurate”, as I was pretty sure I played everything exactly as written. But after following the advice of listening to the song a little closer I noticed that while I played all the notes as written in the correct timing, I got the accents all wrong in some of the places. There’s an interesting accent shift going on in the A melody, back and forth between straight (emphasis on the downbeat) and shifted by 1/16 ahead (emmphasis on the 1/16 before the downbeat, while the following note on the downbeat is barely audible). Typically the first half of each measure is straight, while the second half has the accent shift. As this is not indicated in the sheet music, but can only be heard in the recording, chances are you get it wrong if you just read the music, as I did. Interestingly, the soundslice tool offers the option to switch from the actual recording to synthesizer, which just plays the notes as written, and sure enough, that sounds just like my first version. So if you want to know what information exactly is not included in the sheet music, just compare the synthesizer version to the real version in the soundslice tool.
    Ah well, I heard a conductor once say “you should have the music in the head, not the head in the music”.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@misterbones – Here’s my feedback for you 🙂

misterbones
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Andrew. Very helpful and much appreciated.

effortless

I’m having so much fun with Santa Fe and I haven’t been this excited about a song in a while. As always the arrangement and the lesson are great! Thanks so much @Andrew
    Can’t wait to show off my performance after a lot more practice

ukandrea
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi Andrew,

here comes my first early draft of Santa Fe so that I can incorporate your highly appreciated feedback im my further practice.

Thank you!
    Andrea

katazumiri
    Participant

Hello everyone!

Here is my ”First Song” :

katazumiri
    Participant

Andrew, you said: As a fun challenge, this song can be played as a duet!
    I thought: Maybe this song can be played as a trio?

Playing with the metronome turned out to be not so easy. Sometimes I was ahead of the metronome, sometimes I was behind it … Not that discrepancies were too big … But I’m afraid that here and there voices are not synchronized. At least I tried it 🙂

Have a nice day!

cashmpe
    Participant

Hello Andrew. This is my first ever video post. I’m just starting my musical journey and chose to learn the Ukulele. I was hesitant to post this as a beginner, but I figured what the heck. I chose the recommended beginner song “Our First Song”. Look forward to any constructive feedback. I’m really enjoying the courses and content you have on this site.

cashmpe
    Participant

That was very cool playing the three different parts together! Very creative.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@ukandrea – Here is my feedback for you 🙂

@katazumiri
    – Bravo! Great timing and clarity in each note/chord. And I love the 3 part arrangement, very creative!

@cashmpe
    – Well done, Patrick! I’ve got no critiques – you aced it!

ukandrea
    Participant

@Andrew: Thank you very much for your feedback. I will work on that!
    Andrea

malku2603
    Participant

Hi Andrew…This is my first video of “Our First Song”. I am beginning to learn fingerstyle Ukulele from Rock class 101 and having lots of fun learning and practicing. Your videos are really helpful for beginners. Looking forward to your feedback.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@malku2603 – That was so good, Akansha! Beautiful playing! Keep doing what you’re doing, it’s working! 🙂

robinboyd
    Participant

@malku2603 – I’m really impressed. It sounded great. I’m looking forward to seeing what you post next time.

juleshere
    Participant

Hi there!
    I’m new in the community and I’m very enthusiastic about participating in the challenges. Of course, this time I only dare to play the beginner level. Hope I improve fast and soon I’ll be playing more complex pieces. Thanks for all your videos, Andrew, you and the rest of the team are really good teachers.
    My playing here:

Bye for now 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.