Participate in the January 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Levels (Beg/Int/Adv)

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2021 Member Challenge – Theme: Levels (Beg/Int/Adv)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    taylor22jane
    Participant

Yet another Santa Fe post- such a great tune! Still working on keeping the strumming pattern consistent (and that riff in part B), but I am okay with the progress so far.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by taylor22jane.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by taylor22jane.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@baileysr – Your video is set to private, can you make it public?

emiliano
    Participant

Here is my entry for the month, sadly I was not able to practice as much as I wanted cause I hurt my elbow at the start of the year and only got the uke back like 1 week and a half ago.

On the other side what a fun technique I never get into strumming till now, I mostly used fingerpicking, was really challenging and still need to control more my hands when strumming I get too tense, also my strumming finger is not used to hit the strings so its a little red from all the strumming fun, but I hope to get it in shape so I can strum for hours.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@emiliano – Your video is set to private, can you make it public?

emiliano
    Participant

@Andrew My bad should be public now.

robinboyd
    Participant

Here is Santa Fe. Unfortunately I didn’t get enough time to practice this month, so it’s pretty rough. I hit the wrong string at times and I didn’t quite get the last bar right. Another day or 2 of practice ought to sort out those issues though.

Stephen

akukes73 – You’re off to a great start. It sounds like you have most of the notes down, now it’s time to tackle those tricky rhythms! I would start with playing Melody C a tad bit slower to get those shifts down a bit smoother. Then I would go back to the beginning of the piece and give the rhythm in the first few measures a close look. It looks simple, but the rhythm is very syncopated. Give the first measure a closer look/listen, and check out how the rhythm flows. It’s not an easy song, but you’re doing great. Keep it up!

concan – Great job on this one! Santa Fe is definitely a huge step up in difficulty from this tune. You played this one flawlessly. Great job for learning it so quickly! My only suggestion on this one is to make sure your left hand wrist isn’t bent at too much of an angle. Check out the lessons on form in the beginner course if you need extra help with this.

andrewvh – Very nice job on this one! Your rhythm was spot on, and you had a nice flow to the song. There might be one or two spots towards the end of the piece where it’s hard to transition in time on chord shapes, but other than working a bit more on the shifts, you’re doing wonderfully! Great job!

celia21 – Very nicely done. You are getting all the notes and are switching fairly comfortably between strumming and plucking. My only suggestion is to work on the transition from the strumming section to the plucking section a tiny bit more by isolating the 2 measures where the transition happens. Play a little bit slower, but keep the momentum to work on the accuracy and timing of the first notes back into the plucked section. Once you have that transition, you’ve got the piece down. Great work on this one!

santai – I like that you played this one at a comfortable pace. There are a few spots at the ending where the notes may not be exactly what you wanted, but your feel and pacing was great! There was one spot in melody B that sounded like you hesitated just slightly, but overall, you’ve got it! I suggest practicing melody C a bit more on those few tricky measures, but then you’ve got it and it’s ready to gradually work it up to tempo. Great job!

taylor22jane – Nice job on this one! You are so close on the riff in melody B, and you did great on the rhythms throughout! In melody C, you are very close to having the consistency down. If you had played the strumming sections at the tempo you played the first part, I’m sure both of those parts would have been spot on. Keep up the great work!

emiliano – Your feel and the energy you bring to this one is great! There are a few slight things to work on: The rhythm at the very beginning of the song is slightly different: The last plucked chord is one 16th note later than where you are playing it. It’s a very subtle difference, but it creates a slightly different sound. Give it a close listen, and try playing along with Andrew’s performance at 50% to 75% speed and you will hear how it’s just slightly later. Then in the strummming, there are a few places in Melody C that playing at a much slower tempo and working on accuracy will go a long way. Keep up the great playing, your energy is great!

Stephen

robinboyd – Great job on this one! Just a few spots left to clean up, and you’re there! If you had played it just a touch slower, I think you could have gotten those spots cleanly. Keep up the great work, you are super close now!

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks Stephen. If I had another day, I think I’d have it down. That, or if I hadn’t spent the weekend at a friend’s house teaching his daughter how to play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star instead (I hope he forgives me).

emiliano
    Participant

Hello @Stephen ya for sure, my hands feels too tense in part C of this song, but for this year objective I wanna get better at strumming so will be practicing slowly, ty for the advices, have a good night!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by emiliano.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@baileysr – Sounds great, John! Only suggestion I have is to strum lighter in the chord section. A lighter strum will produce a softer, sweeter tone. Keep up the good work! 🙂

tsetsova

Thanks for the feedback @Stephen 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

We had 32 members participate this month! Stephen and I were blown away by everyone’s performances! Great job everyone! 🙂

This month’s prize is 2 hour long Skype lessons, one taught by Stephen and the other by me. So without further ado, the winners are:

null

null

null

Our February Challenge is LIVE: https://rockclass101.com/february-2021-challenge. We’ve got a BRAND NEW Theme for this month and we’re giving away a NEW PRIZE: a $212 Islander Tenor w/ Pickup! Hope to see everyone in the challenge!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@kirpuff – just sent ya an email, Sara incase it lands in your spam again 😉

kirpuff
    Participant

Oh wow!!Thank you so much 🙂 i recieved your email this time!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.