Participate in the July 2017 Member Challenge – Beginner Themed Challenge

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the July 2017 Member Challenge – Beginner Themed Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Chip – Phil gave great advice for you. Often times I see beginners try to tackle too much too soon, and really the trick is to break it down into sections. I’d like to challenge you with this advice. “Our First Song” is a much easier piece, I’d like to see you submit it for this month’s challenge. But, approach learning and practicing by breaking it into sections.

So for example the Riff is 4 bars in length and each bar contains the same rhythm: Eighth notes. Practice one bar at a time, when you can play it cleanly and perfectly in time, try the second bar. When you can do that cleanly and perfectly in time, try bars 1 through 2. When you can do that cleanly and perfectly in time, do bar 3 , then 4, then 3-4, then 1-4.

Continue throughout the rest of the piece with the same approach. With all that said, you’re doing a great job, keep it up 🙂

Connie – great job! Here’s a quick video for you 🙂

Tim – great playing Tim! Is that ukulele smaller than a soprano?

Lisa – that’s cool, I dig the swung Feel. I think it’s fine, it’s probably just the recording. Good job!

ser_ser

hello, great to be here and couldn’t get embed video working,

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by ser_ser.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Great playing Ser! I enjoyed your performance 🙂

girluke
    Participant

Hi Andrew! My name is Paula I’m 11 years old and I’m from Latvia! I signed up for this challange because I really like to play the ukulele! Also I hope I win this uke because I could give it to my brother who also likes to play ukulele! But he doesn’t have one at the moment because he plays the guitar.

Best of luck
    Paula

Andrew
    Keymaster

That was lovely Paula! You are rocking and rolling for 11 🙂 great job!

tessa84

Hi this is my first time ever recording and posting anything online and I just got my ukulele a couple months ago so I hope I post this correctly.

tessa84

Ok I think I got this right this time.

olphart
    Participant

I’m impressed, Tess

philrab66
    Participant

You are very good for only a couple of months in

tessa84

Thank you

ukulelesam04
    Participant

Here is my entry for the July sight member challenge. Aura Lee and Our first song are both in the video. 🙂

olphart
    Participant

Just a quick question Andrew. Bar 4 on the tab download shows F for 2 then open 3 for 2, but the tab playalong and your playing just has F for 4. I just ignore it and play by the tab download. figuring that it doesn’t really matter that much. Any particular reason? I’ve noticed this on the other challenges as well.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Wow Tessie, that was amazing! You are rocking and rolling 🙂 One thing I’d like to point out, is how she uses her thumb to mute the 4th string when strumming. This is a great approach for when you only want the bottom three strings to ring out. I’d recommend everyone working on this song to try it out.

To answer your question James, I played it wrong 🙂 This happens sometimes, as hard as I try to play it as notated, I’ll end up playing a section slightly different. That’s why you’ll see a difference in the printed Tab versus the play along Tab. But, either way works!

chipkk

Hi Andrew, I took you advice and tried Our First Song. I also took the clue from Tessie and muted the 4th string with my index finger.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by chipkk.
    lisadmh
    Participant

I’m trying to figure out the muting the first string with the thumb but I can’t keep hold of the uke. My hand is too tight to slide up to the next note and when I lift I drop. But I can’t wrap around to mute and keep a loose hold. Any tips?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.