Participate in the July 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Leolani Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the July 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Leolani Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    lmdlinda
    Participant

ok july drunkin’ sailor

far from performance ready here after challenging myself to that 3rd round thru- lots of learning so lots of fun though!!! will just go thru it very, so very slow (which is actually hard kinda!)

thank you all so so much!

even got a tiny bit of the bells with an extra try at the end i think?

bibilele
    Participant

@leb397 Thank you very much! I’d not say flawless, but still I’m proud. When I first tried, I thought I’d have to rethink my choice. 😀

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@jbmills07, that was perfect! Really great job with that one. That isn’t my favorite song, Margaritaville, at all, but that arrangement is very pretty. I like it more on the uke. 😅 Looking forward to hearing your new uke!!

@dianna
    , really lovely job with that one! I feel like many people had to slow down with those muted strings, but you can do it way faster than I can right now! 😂 Really great! And thank you! It’s good practice for me to try writing down the things I figure out since that’s really challenging for me. 😊

Everyone did amazing… ly this month! Congrats to everyone on that! 😊

jbmills07
    Participant

@the_bumble_bard thank you! It’s not my favorite song either lol, but it’s a good one to have in the repertoire! And was a nice challenge 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@bibilele – Bravo, Bianca! Excellent technique and timing! 👏

@richo_uke
    – Bravo on both themes! Feel, groove, and timing were excellent. This might be my fav performance from you to date 🙂

@uku241
    – WOW! Y’all aced it! Amazing duet! Great energy and I loved the extra bits at the end! Bravo! 👏

@johanna2509
    – Rhythm was spot on! Excellent timing!

Technique looks and sounds great with the lead. I’d say you were a touch behind on timing with the single notes, but nothing that sounded off. I thought you did really well! Maybe another week of practice and you’ll get it where you want it. It was REALLY good!

@jody_hendrickson
    – That was very well played, Jody! Great feel and technique throughout. Only thing I’d say is keep working on building speed. You can also loop the harder phrases to get extra targeted practice with them. Keep up the excellent work!

@nelsonlin2021
    – Very well played, Nelson! I’d recommend working on 8 bar sections at a time. Focus on timing (keeping it steady). Start slow and build it up to speed. When you can play one section perfectly steady, move onto the next, then piece the 16 bars together. Build the song that way and you’ll be amazed at how easy it becomes to play the entire tune at a steady tempo.

@jbmills07
    – The new uke sounds awesome, Justin! Congrats again! And I love the Hawaiian shirt. It’s perfect for this tune. 🙂

Performance was excellent! I was very impressed with how well you did on the timing. This is not an easy song as it has some tricky syncopation at times. Keep up the great work!

@potter
    – Excellent first performance! And very cool to see you using Picado technique. I look forward to watching more of your performances, Jen 🙂

@morrieuke1
    – Awesome performance, Michael! You always play w/ great feeling! Only thing I’d suggest is to memorize it, when time permits, so you can focus 100% on your playing.

@dianna
    – Brilliant playing on the first 2 themes, Dianna! The third one is really good too! I’d suggest slowing the tempo down when practicing that one. It’s tough! I remember Matt taking weeks to practice it just to be able to play it for the performance.

The only other thing I’d suggest is working on is cleaning up the notes in the D barre chord/pull-off. Make sure your barre is straight and that you’re pressing down with enough force so that each note in the bare (2222) rings out.

@lmdlinda
    – Bravo, Linda! I thought you did a brilliant job on all 3 themes! Only thing I’d suggest is to work on increasing tempo. The harmonics at the end were well played! Check out our harmonics course for extra help with them. But it looks and sounds like you’ve already got that technique down. 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

We had 31 members participate this month! Everyone did an awesome job and should feel super proud of their work this month!

So without further ado, the winner of our July Challenge is…

null

null

Our August challenge is LIVE and the theme is: Love Songs! There’s also a very cute prize for August! Hope to see everyone in the new challenge: https://rockclass101.com/august-2023-challenge

lhamilton
    Participant

Congratulations, uku241!

ldarrow
    Participant

Congrats @uku241. Nice reward for a great performance that looked like you had a lot of fun doing

dianna
    Participant

I second @Idarrow….Congrats to @uku241 for a great performance and winning this months Uke! Well Done😁

Thanks, @Bumblebard for your kind words, especially since it felt sooooo strugglicious! Did you see the clawhammer option for next month…..another fun challenge.

And as always, thank-you Andrew for your critique…..very grateful.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by dianna.
    ldarrow
    Participant

@stephen thank you for listening to my post. I am glad you liked my alternative to the 3rd section. I tried to at least keep a couple of the techniques: moved up and down the fret board and used a harmonic. Also thanks for your encouragement to continue working on the last part. I can get the first two fingered mute, but as I move up to the second, and third I seem to apply more pressure with each. I think if I can have more of a sliding motion vs jumping as I move up the fretboard I may be able to get it eventually. So am working on trying to smooth out that motion to see if it does the trick.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@uku241, congratulations!! Your performance was so magical and fun, and that uke is a beaut! 😁

@jbmills07
    , I guess that’s true. Even if a song is a classic, if I don’t like it, I’m probably not going to learn it. 😂😳 It just takes me a while to really learn a song, and since it’s just for fun, I want to really like it. Still, that arrangement of that song is beautiful and you played it very well. 😊

@dianna
    , haha, strugglicious! 😅 Sigh, so true. That third section is so dang hard. Yaaaaasssss, I saw the clawhammer option! That may be the one I do. It’s very pretty. But… what if… My Heart Will Go On were in clawhammer? 😉😂 Actually, hmmm.

dianna
    Participant
    bibilele
    Participant

Well deserved, @uku241 👏

richo_uke
    Participant

@uku241: You well deserve the price. Your performance was so wonderful and made me laugh with you at the end of your video. Great!

@Andrew
    : Thank you for your very kind feedback. This months challenge will be much harder and I am sure that you will see that – I absolutely can’t remember longer musical pieces and if I have to switch between looking at my fretboard and my tabs it all ends up in a mess. But nevertheless… the July challenge was great.

jody_hendrickson
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback, Andrew! I will definitely keep working on On the Boardwalk, and do the targeted practice you suggest for the sticky parts. Hope you are having a great summer!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.