Participate in the June 2017 Member Challenge – TV Themes Challenge ($400 Prize)

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2017 Member Challenge – TV Themes Challenge ($400 Prize)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Rock Class 101 Community!

We are back with site member challenge #3! Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.

Pick one from the following 2 Rock Class 101 TV Theme Genre Lessons:

1) SpongeBob SquarePants Theme

2) Game Of Thrones Theme

** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **

GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:

1. Beginner to Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast, slow and steady wins the race 🙂

Recommended Piece: SpongeBob SquarePants Theme

2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.

Recommended Piece: Game Of Thrones Theme

3. Participation Goal: 35 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.

GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:

1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing one of the 2 TV themed pieces anytime between Thursday, June 1st till Friday, June 30th, 11:59pm EST.

2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.

3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.

4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.

5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle.

* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.

COMMON FAQs:

1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!

2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.

3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.

Giveaway Rules:

There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on July 1, 2017. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.

Grand Prize:

1) Uke Republic Package: Pono MGT Solid Mango Tenor Ukulele and Kala Transit Series Black Semi-Rigid Case (Retail: $400 USD)

null

null

null

null

Watch and Hear this SWEET Pono!

THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR!

Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/

Let’s crush this challenge!

carrie
    Participant

Great challenge, Andrew and thanks Uke Republic. I have to say that the last challenge really made me focus and polish a song and I’m pretty excited at how far that focus was able to take me. I really am looking forward to pushing that again.

Andrew, take care of yourself. I hope the PT helps you overcome what is ailing you. Looking forward to all the new stuff when you are feeling better.

-carrie

mca310
    Participant

Nice one Andrew! This site member challenge has inspired me to finally learn the GOT theme that I’ve been putting off for so long. Looking forward to seeing everyone’s performances too.

Get well soon, Andrew. I had knee surgery last year and know from experience that PT can be very demanding and time consuming. Stay strong and keep at and you’ll be fine. I’m going to miss those new lesson notifications on Fridays!

andracass
    Participant

Thanks Andrew and uke republic to give us this opportunity!
    I have to study the original songs first, because I don’t know them.
    But… at the end I will try!

mozartrosie

Thanks Andrew for challenging all levels of ukulele players.
    The challenge for me will be playing music other than classical. I’m. It sure I have an ear for pop, rock or other genre. But I am intrigued with your performance Andrew and though I can’t say I can aspire to that level, I do like a challenge. It would be amazing to surprise everyone and play something different s the local music festival
    So here goes, I’ll give it a go
    Blessings
    Joy

olphart
    Participant

Perfect challenge for “Talk like a Pirate” day…ARRRRR! Already workin’ on ‘er, Aŕrr
    (a few months early, but “she be September somewheres Matey!”

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by olphart.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by olphart.
    andracass
    Participant

Today in Italy is holiday, so I had time for practice. Here my first attempt (sorry, I didn’t know SpongeBob):

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by andracass.
    honuhonu
    Participant

Andrew you have a date error;

GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:

1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing one of the 5 classical pieces anytime between Thursday, June 1st till Friday, May 30th, 11:59pm EST.

I think you mean June 30th.

Honuhonu

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thanks Francis!

lisadmh
    Participant

Oh no. I hope whatever is working wrong gets working right soon.

This amazing challenge will keep us busy in the meantime. Sponge Bob here I come. Thank you for all you do.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hey MT, great job! It sounds like you have just begun working on this tune. One thing they told us in college was this (and it applies to your comment about not knowing the SpongeBob Theme): Listen to the original song a lot, to help familiarize yourself with the tune. And couple that with listening to the arrangement too.

Since you’ve gone through the entire tune, I would break it into 2 or 4 bar sections, loop them, and work on playing them cleanly and in-time. Then work on the next couple bars and then the transitions. For example:

Nail bars 1-2
    Nail bars 3-4
    Nail bars 1-4

Then continue same process throughout the rest of the song. Check out our Practicing guide for more tips too 🙂 Keep up the good work!

tottle321

Here’s my attempt at Game of Thrones. I’m playing on a soprano, so I turned the out-of-range notes into harmonics, which were tricky and still a little rusty. I may post an update when I get it smoother.

Andrew
    Keymaster

YESSS! Love it and bonus points for you, very creative Sam (tottle321) 🙂

olphart
    Participant

Just had to comment Andrew, that these challenges are particularly good for people like me.
    I’ve only been playing for about 4 months and I’ve somehow managed to collect over 200 song tabs, and worked on at least 30 or 40 so far. I’ve realized that I really should focus on a few and the challenges make me focus on just one.
    I do play around in my collection with different techniques, genres and so on, but most of my energy is focussed on the challenge.
    Thanx!!

(Maybe I’m ADHD…Look!Squirrel!!)

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi James, that’s a great approach! Focusing on one song at a time, practicing it, and getting it down and memorized is a great way to build your repertoire. Keep up the good work!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.