Participate in the June 2017 Member Challenge – TV Themes Challenge ($400 Prize)

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2017 Member Challenge – TV Themes Challenge ($400 Prize)

Viewing 4 posts - 106 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    lisadmh
    Participant

Congrats Luke. I’m not jealous at all either. I hope we get to hear you okay something on your new gorgeous uke.

On to the next challenge. I’ve got this one. 👍

freeclmr

Awesome Luke. Enjoy that beautiful ukulele. I look forward to seeing you post future videos with your new Pono.

Andrew
    Keymaster

All right guys, here it is my advice for everyone who submitted on the last 2 days 🙂 please let me know if you have any questions.

—-

mkpruss – great job! I can definitely tell you put some work into it 🙂 I would only suggest to continue working on the transitions.

lisathoyt – no worries I’m being nervous, everyone gets that way. Great playing by the way! I agree with what you said, I’d continue to work on the timing, but break it into sections. So nail the first four bars with perfect timing before working on the next part of the song.

carrie – I love the ending! Your playing is great, keep up the good work!

hyzenthlay – wonderfully played! You have a great feel and tone in your playing.

cait23 – good job Caitlin! This is a tricky tune. You’ve got a great base established in that you know the entire piece. I’d break it down and work on section-by-section if I were you. Try and play along with the on screen tab viewer, it will help keep you in time and help you get the feel down a little bit better. Give that a shot and let me know how it goes.

ukulelesam04 – great job Sam! I can hear you improving with every challenge 🙂

awiealissa – wonderful playing Alissa! I too can hear you improving, that’s awesome! You put some work into this, didn’t you? The feel and the tone in your playing is great. I’d only suggest to work on the transitions to tighten them up a bit. Keep up the good work!

rillke – great job! This is what it’s all about, getting the feel and the timing down and doing it at a pace that’s within your current ability. You’re doing great, keep it up!

yiling – excellent playing! My only suggestion is to watch the timing when you transition to the chorus and the outro.

th1234 – good job! A few of the bars were a little off in the verse, so do go back and double check those sections. A great way to practice is to work on a few bars at a time, and when you think you have it down, turn the sheet music around so that you can’t look at it and try to play it from memory.

niru95 – that was excellent! You are doing great, keep it up!

antony945 – great job figuring that out with only basic membership, very impressive! You playing is great on the first part of the song, I would suggest to work on the higher voice chords and cleaning them up a bit.

A great way to practice that section, is to only play the chord changes by themselves. So there are four chords in that section, you could play the first chord and hold it out for a whole measure, then play the second chord, and again, hold it out for a whole measure. Then the same with the 3rd and 4th chord, and loop it.

jacobturner127 – great job! I do have some advice for you. While you have a great speed, what I think you need to work on is finesse. And this is the hardest part of playing, the challenge is to make every note count.

So I would suggest to slow it down a little bit and tighten up some of the transitions and the timing. But really focus on the tone that you’re producing. Some of the chord strums you can hit a little bit lighter and it will produce a softer and sweeter sound. You can also incorporate more of the hammer-ons and pull-offs into the piece. This will help to add dynamics and will break up the monotony of plucked notes. Overall you are doing great, keep it up!

krasimirka55 – Excellent! I’d recommend same advice as I gave for rillke.

yoavlan – that’s some speed you got there! But it’s always important to note that speed isn’t everything. When we think of music, we have to remember that it’s formed from three basic elements: Melody, harmony, rhythm.

What you want to work on is connecting these three elements. So I would suggest to slow it down and work on playing everything cleanly and in time. Once you can do that perfectly at a slower tempo, then you can start to increase the speed. So keep up the good work, you’re on the right path!

klapaucjusz – excellent job, I’m not sure I believe you are a beginner only 🙂 where I would go next in your playing is to focus on the performance as a whole. You’ve got a great speed and technique established, but I would focus on cleaning up the transitions and clarity of some of the sections. But man you’re kicking butt keep it up!

bjblue2 – great job! As I’ve advice to other members in this challenge, a great way to approach practicing is to break sections into pieces. Try and take two or four bars at a time and focus on playing every note with clarity, while watching your timing. Then do the same with the next 2 or 4 bars and then try to put those two sections together. This will cut down on the practice time required to learn the song and will help you get it down easier.

ukuleleloo – Wonderful playing Lucinda! I’d recommend same advice as I gave for rillke.

lisamcc – it’s crazy how good you are for 6 months! Your tone is great! The speed is also very good. What you want to work on is ironing out everything. So what that means is that your goal moving forward is to make sure that your performance flows evenly.

I talked about the three elements of music in the feedback for yoavlan. This advice can be applied to you too. When we listen to this song, we notice that the first half builds up to a climax heard in the last half, or when the piece goes to those higher voice chords. So listening to how you add dynamics to the piece is something that you want to focus on.

This could be accomplished by playing the first part of the song lighter and accenting the second half of the song to help create that climax.

Also, go back and review some of the sections that were tricky, most notably at the end of the performance. But truly great job!

owllady – great job Naomi! I have a feeling you know what I’m going to tell you 🙂 first off, try to memorize the piece. Focus on getting the transitions down smoothly and brush up a little bit on your timing. It’s great to hear you play again, keep up the good work!

annemarie – great playing Anne! I would only suggest to review the chorus section. Slow down a little bit, loop it, and you’ll have it down in no time 🙂

tommyn – great job Tommy! I’d recommend the same advice as I gave for bjblue2, but with four bar sections. So what you working on is cleaning up the sections and smoothing out the transitions. Keep up the good work!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Congrats to our winner Luke! Here he is enjoying his new Pono ukulele 🙂

null

Viewing 4 posts - 106 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.