Participate in the June 2018 Member Challenge – Classical Themed!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2018 Member Challenge – Classical Themed!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    ukulelelady
    Participant

Here is my entry for the June challenge!! It was a lot of fun learning this 🙂 Everyone is doing great, and I hope there are a lot more entries to come! Ya’ll are awesome 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by ukulelelady.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

ukulelelady, again, I am super impressed with your performance! It really is incredible to see where you are at this early in your playing. You’ve got a bright future 🙂

So I was curious on a couple of things. First, can you tell us what your practice schedule was like for this tune? Also, how did you decide on a two finger approach for picking? Last, what kind of uke/model is that? Is it a Kala? (I’ll tell you why I’m asking this last question after we find out the model.)

ukulelelady
    Participant

Andrew, Thank you very much!
    I practice throughout the day when Im home for about 45 mins to a hour off and on throughout the day.
    And with the two finger approach, when I started playing the uke and didnt know a whole lot about what I was doing, I started with the two finger and it has just kinda stuck with me lol 🙂
    And my uke is a Kala EBY-TE with EQ 🙂

The Dog is like me, Speechless, Great Job it must be hard for two fingers while I am stuck with the four finger approach. Your Awesome Believe That! 😀

ukulelelady
    Participant

Thank you so much Awesomestrings 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

Okay, so I totally recognized that uke by the sound of the tap on the body. Stephen bought that same uke from Uke Republic and I got to play it. It’s an awesome sounding uke!

ukulelelady
    Participant

Thank you very much!! 😊 and yes they are great sounding ukes. When I went to a music shop in TN I was planning on a getting a different Kala model but the person at the shop brought out the Kala ebony and I really liked it😀

suesbarn
    Participant

Hi Andrew, I’m a new member this month and I like the lessons so far! Here is my attempt.

I know there are some issues with a bit of rushing and a few mistakes, but I have 2 main issues. One is in the 3rd measure of melody B, when I lift off the d to go up the neck, the open c sounds. The second is I can’t get much sound from my slide, whether I apply a lot or a little pressure, or go fast or slow. Is there a trick to this?

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/user-171465759/waltz-rockclass101-2

Andrew
    Keymaster

Sue, that was awesome! I thought your performance was great 🙂 In regards to your question on muting the ringing Open C, we can use the palm of our right hand to do just that. Check out this lesson, which talks about this concept in-depth.

For slides, make sure that you are applying pressure to the note throughout the entire duration of the slide. “Lifting up” pressure is usually what causes them to fade out prematurely. One last tip, it sounds like you have a strong plucking attack. Try to lighten it up a little bit, and it should produce a sweeter and softer tone.

suesbarn
    Participant

Thanks Andrew, I will certainly work on that.
    I have a cheap uke, and this week just changed my soft, original strings to Aquila – they are much tighter and twangier than I am used to. I might be overcompensating for this – I will try to work on the attack!

debber90
    Participant

Hey this is for Stephan. I”m working on the canon on the bass. Is there anyway you could show me how your thumb moves on this….Hopefully I’ll be able to post this next week.

kayleighb

After missing another challenge last month I’m determined to get one submitted this month! I’m working on Allegro to build up speed and add a bit of dynamic into my playing. I probably won’t get to 100% speed yet but will do my best!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by kayleighb.
    isialval
    Participant

I really appreciate your videos, I recently started practicing ukulele and your videos have been very helpful !

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi isialval, looks like the track is missing…

kayleighb

Can I just apologise in advance for next week please for absolutely killing this piece. My A string is buzzy on the stretch chord, I’m about 50% speed, can’t seem to memorise it, and it takes about 10 minutes to transition between chords 🙈 not even attempting the harmonic.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.