Participate in the June 2018 Member Challenge – Classical Themed!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the June 2018 Member Challenge – Classical Themed!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Rock Class 101 Community!

We are back with site member challenge #16! WOW, there has now been over 425+ members participating in our challenges! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!

Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.

Pick one from the following 3 Rock Class 101 Classical Themed Genre Lessons:

1) “Waltz in C” by Ferdinando Carulli – A classical waltz with a playful melody that serves as a perfect challenge for the seasoned beginner.

2) “Allegro” by Mauro Giuliani – Composed in a minor key, this classical piece serves as an excellent study for developing fingerpicking and dynamics.

3) “Canon in D” for U-Bass by Johann Pachelbel – This arrangement of ‘Canon’ cycles through the form 4 times, giving us 4 variations on the classic song. Think of it this way: The song is 5 chords, played over 4 bars. These 4 bars are repeated 4 times, but played differently each time, thus creating 4 ‘themes’.

** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **

GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:

1. Beginner to Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂

Recommended Piece: Waltz in C

2. Intermediate Level to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.

Recommended Piece: Allegro or Canon in D (U-Bass)

3. Participation Goal: 25 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.

GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:

1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 3 Classical pieces anytime between Friday, June 1st till Saturday, June 30th, 11:59pm EST.

The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:

YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel

SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin

2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.

3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.

4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.

5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle.

* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.

COMMON FAQs:

1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!

2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.

3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.

4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:

YouTube URL

Giveaway Rules:

There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on July 6th, 2018. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.

Grand Prize:

1) $260 Uke Republic Package! Includes:

A) Kala KA-MGC Mango Concert Ukulele & Gig Bag

null

null
    LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE!

THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR!

Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/

Let’s crush this challenge!

lisadmh
    Participant

Fun new song Andrew. It seemed easy at first glance but you never fail to throw some tricks in. Palm staccato, harmonics, a couple awkward chords, and a weird flicky flick. We’ll find out how we all do. Thanks for the challenge.

Mmmmmm, mango.

brettboy
    Participant

Hi Uke-Stars!

I’m ahead of the game because I learned Allegro last Fall. Here is a video of me playing that tune:

I will take a stab at Classical Waltz too and make a video if I get the time.

jakeypoo
    Participant

Heres my entry to this month’s challenge😄 theres still quite a few mistakes (it took me hours to record)

smartinuk

Loving this challenge so far. Allegro feels like the perfect piece to help me progress my fingerpicking right now. Very challenging but achievable with practice, practice, practice 🙂

lisadmh
    Participant

Wow Jakeypoo, how’d you do that? I hope to get to where you are after a month of practice. Amazing job!

jakeypoo
    Participant

Thanks lisadmh! I practiced over and over again nonstop while i was filming. Tho its not yet perfect, but i can definitely see myself improving after each try

Andrew
    Keymaster

It’s so awesome to see entries in so early in the month 🙂

Brett, wonderful playing! Again, this is another piece in which I love your interpretation. To those that are reading this comment, I’d encourage you to watch my performance and then Brett’s. Both takes have a completely different feel. Mine is more brisk and on the beat, while Brett’s is relaxed and laid-back. It’s a great example of how the interpretation of the piece is always up to the performer. Feel free to take it and make it your own 🙂

Jake, super impressive! Not even 12 hours after the song was released, you’ve got it down! Bravo! The only critique I have is to watch a couple spots where you played the wrong fret(s). But I’m really impressed, keep up the great work!

lisadmh
    Participant

How are the rest of you doing so far?

I’m on waltz and my biggest problem is that every time I actually get the harmonic right I get deliriously excited and I lose my spot. 🙂

My palm mute is pretty bad and vibrates, but I’m working on it. That harmonic though, so cool!

Hello musicians, I’m doing good Lisadmh and I think the biggest problem with Waltz in C for me is the palm mute just like you! 🙂 I remember playing songs with the harmonic in it, and I was so hype when I was in the middle of recoding, I was pressured even more I messed up. Don’t worry and don’t be scared to try your best at every shot you take, I believe in you and every future performance there is. Keep trying guys, and I hope to see your splendid performances. Have at thee challenge, and sail forth within the wind! 😀

Here is my monthly participation towards this challenge. I know tempo is one of my mistakes in songs, and the mic didn’t really capture the harmonic clearly (more of a blunt sound) and probably muting is another mistake. I hope to improved this month with advice and with determination, I hope all of us strive in our challenges. Thanks, and I hope to see your performances guys in the future. 😀

Gaby
    Participant

Nice performances so far, and so early into the month! I’ll try my luck with Waltz in c.. I hope that i get enough time to practice and that i’ll be able to record it. Its such a long piece to play :p but i really like it, so i will try and see what happens over the next few weeks 🙂

lisadmh
    Participant

So, here’s where I’m at. I’m posting early in hopes of some feedback. I have the base down but I’m getting some buzzing and not good at that palm mute. Feedback welcome and much appreciated!

Andrew
    Keymaster

awesomestrings, excellent playing on the first song! Fantastic feel and interpretation! So for the second song, the first and second theme have a nice flow to them. The third theme gets a bit choppy, so I’d keep working on that one to make it match the feel of the others. And watch the timing a little bit, most notably when you go to the variation on the second melody.

Lisa, here is a video with some tips for you 🙂

lisadmh
    Participant

Thank you Andrew. It’s not the instrument as I buzz on all my ukes. Definite user error.

I’m trying to deal with the paradox between pressing harder but loosening up my hand. Will try!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.