Participate in the March 2018 Member Challenge – Random Themed!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2018 Member Challenge – Random Themed!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    kmelton
    Participant

Looking for some help on the Irish Washerwoman. Figured this was a great (and timely!) song to learn as as I want to practice my Hammer-Ons and pull offs. As I’ve tried to build up speed, I’ve notice my right pinky has gone from resting below the strings to full on anchor mode. It looks like Andrew has his fingers floating, but when I try that and attempt the first double pull off, the head drops. So, apart from digging my fingernail into the top or resting the uke across my lap, any suggestions on how to hold the instrument for this song?

Andrew
    Keymaster

kmelton, can you share a video of you demonstrating this? I’ll be better able to help you if I can see what’s happening 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

ditto the above Lisa 🙂

lisadmh
    Participant

I recorded the whole song because that’s more fun, but you can skip to the rhythm section at 1:22.

It starts bad and it deteriorates even more as I go along, so at the end I can’t even move my fingers I’ve been squeezing so hated. Not once does the E string ring out, and it’s not the only bad string. Getting a little frustrated!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Sounding great Lisa! I think what’s giving you trouble lies in finger strength, as your form looks great. So here’s what I would do, take those barre chords (or any for that matter) and move them up the neck, this will decrease the tension and make it easier to fret. So what you doing is practicing where less strength is required, and gradually move it back down.

Try to pluck through the chords playing each note individually in addition to strumming, listening to which string gives you trouble (although you have already realized it’s the E string). So try to focus on applying more pressure there, but take it easy… Strength comes in time.

Stephen

Great job, Harold!

Stephen

Sounding good, Lisa!

themotivator
    Participant

I only have a soprano ukulele so I can’t do all the fancy stuff but I hope I’m still qualified for the raffle.
    This is my entry:

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by themotivator.
    lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks Andrew. I don’t deny I’m a weakling. I’ll work on getting buff so I can play better uke!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Awesome job, themotivator! Sounds perfect. I did arrange that tune for soprano and concert/tenor, so be sure to learn the next section and post that here to qualify for the giveaway 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

Harold, thought I’d leave you some feedback. I really think you did such a tremendous job! So much fun to watch 🙂 Glad to see people jamming out on the concept tunes!

The only constructive feedback I can think of is to try to use your pinky more in the riff. Sometimes you did large jumps from 1st to 2nd to 3rd finger, when 1, 3, 4 may have been easier/less movement of the overall hand.

Other than that, I would work on the chords a bit more to clean them up, but really it was awesome! Great timing and feel. That’s what music is all about!

themotivator
    Participant

Is that part of the song in part 2?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Yes, it is 🙂

themotivator
    Participant

I added part 2

Andrew
    Keymaster

Wow! You learned that fast 🙂 Great playing and I dig the way you played the second half!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.