Participate in the March 2020 Member Challenge – Classical Themed!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2020 Member Challenge – Classical Themed!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    ukukelley1
    Participant

Hello all,
    Here’s my Waltz for this month’s entry.
    There were just a couple spots in Lagrima that it seemed as though I would never get quite right, so I defaulted to the Waltz (late)…
    Sheryl

uku_on
    Participant

Just thought I’d re-upload this song. Am I 100% satisfied with it? Never. It was a tough but fun song tho. I hope I had a little more dynamics added in than my first entry. Excited for next month.

the_moon
    Participant

Hello All,

This is my first time entering one of these competitions and posting anything on the forum even then I’ve been creeping on Andrews YouTube channel for almost a year. I hope you all enjoy my cover of Lagrima!

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by the_moon.
    robinboyd
    Participant

Here is Moonlight Sonata.

I’m thoroughly ashamed of this attempt, but it was the best I could do by the deadline. I’ll have to keep working on it. When it was getting close to the deadline and my thumb was failing me, I decided to stitch together 2 videos. It’s really clunky free stitching software and I was running out of time, so it’s not even a clean transition between videos. I’m sorry everyone.

kirpuff
    Participant

Doh! Part of my message got cut off

I wanted to keep trying for a better take but my left thumb hurts and my petition for a March 32nd was unsuccessful so this will have to work. Stay safe out there everyone!

macdog

Waltz in C (No.2) Greg MacDonald (novice….really)

thanks for the challenge. tough.

Greg

lyndallk
    Participant

Well I like your version Robin – and frankly everyone who tried Moonlight Sonata. Very impressive and such a marathon! So many sore thumbs out there……

robinboyd
    Participant

Well done @Kirpuff! I’ll sign that petition, though.

I envy being able to get through the whole thing in one take. One day I’ll get there, but not yet.

Also, I feel your pain. Right now, I can barely grip my glass of water with my left hand. To everyone else, you have no idea!

kirpuff
    Participant

You did a great job, Robin!

I sprained my thumb last summer and thought it was healed til I got into this song. Wow I was wrong. Halfway through the thing I thought it would snap off.

Let’s ice our thumbs and get ready for April 🙂

robinboyd
    Participant

Sounds like a plan.

Your thumb may well have been healed. This piece is an absolute killer, even if your thumb is in good condition to start with.

Stephen

Here’s the bottom half of Page 8:

lisamcc – Very well done! My biggest advice to getting the song down cleaner quicker is to slow down. When you are going at the faster pace, you sound great until you get to the spots that give you trouble, and then you play slower through those sections. Try going the speed you slow down to between 0:29 and 0:31, or play along with the tab player at a slower tempo. There are a couple of places where the rhythm sounds slightly different as well, but this may be due to large shifts, so try slower with the tab player for now. You’re very close to having it spot on, keep it up!

andracass – Nice work on this! The first time through everything was great, even though the repeat of theme two had a couple of mistakes, I can tell you know the part! Sometimes it’s just a matter of working on a piece just a bit longer to get so familiar with it that those mistakes vanish. Are those steel strings on this ukulele? Great playing, keep up the great work!

samash07 – Very nicely done, even with the fast tempo! The harmonic at the end was spot on as well. I notice that you are using your right hand to deaden the strings for the rests at the end of measure 4 and 8. This is slowing you down, and making a tap sound instead of being silent. Try muting with the fretting hand instead. Then just add the ritardando and you’ve got it! Great job on this one!

nthibode – Phenomenal job on a very tough piece! I like that you perform with a smile on your face and with your eyes closed much of the time! Now that you have the song at this level, try adding/exaggerating some of the dynamics like Evan does in his performance to really add to the emotion. Awesome playing on this one!

annegodfrey – You are doing very well on this one! That middle section just takes a lot of practice. It’s all about memorizing and/or looking ahead of where you are on the music so that the difficult passages don’t sneak up on you. You’re well on your way, keep it up!

wongbrown – Great job on this, the notes and the harmonic in the middle sound great! I recommend keeping your hands more relaxed and playing lightly like you do at 1:00 into the song. Try not to tense up during the tricky parts, as this can often make them harder to play. You’re doing a great job, and a little bit more work will get you the rest of the way there.

kanae926 – Very well played! I’ll pretend that you got it as well as the first time, but only because you got the harmonics very cleanly in the middle! With more time, you will work out all the kinks and be able to play it without having to worry about any of the mistakes you mention. It just really takes a lot of practice to work up the consistency…and then even more practice recording to ease any recording anxiety. You can do it!

cyukug – Very good job! You’ve got all the parts fairly clean at this tempo, now it’s time to add that one extra step of working it up to full speed gradually. You get a really good sound out of that ukulele, and you’re doing great!

samash07
    Participant

@stephencox thanks for the feedback! Yes I just played my video again and it definitely sounds like a slowdown. I’ll try with the fretting hand instead! Thank you!

lisamcc
    Participant

Thanks Stephan, slowing down is always the thing for me….Will keep working on it, thank you

nthibode

Thanks Stephen! I think it’d be hard for me not to smile 🙂

laurasil
    Participant

@robinboyd I thought it was great!! And you managed to learn the whole piece. Hats off to you!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.