Participate in the March 2020 Member Challenge – Classical Themed!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2020 Member Challenge – Classical Themed!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    wongbrown

Thanks Stephen for the feedback. It is so true that I was tensed when came to the challenging parts. I’ll work on playing in a more relaxed and lightly manner. Really appreciate your constructive feedback 😊 / Sheila

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 9:

willymac – Excellent feel, dynamics, overall playing on this one! I really like your interpretation. You really got the harmonic to ring on that last time through Melody B! I have to ask, did you play Melody B twice on purpose? Either way, it sounded very good both times. Keep up the great work!

mikewatts – Very well played! The notes and the timing were great, all the way through the harmonic at the end! Only one note buzzed out of all of them if I heard correctly, so very consistently played as well. Great job, especially for your first challenge.

mfaske – Very good job on this one! Your playing and feel are very nice on this one. I have one small suggestion: on measure 16, make sure to count the rest at the end of the measure so that that bar has 3 full beats before taking the repeat. Counting “one, two, rest” might help to get this right. It’s a small detail, and wouldn’t detract from the song unless someone was trying to dance a waltz over the piece. Good job on this one all around!

mszatanik – Your playing sounds great, all the way to the harmonic, but the first two notes and every time they repeat seem to be different pitches from the original. Did you tune your ukulele differently, or did you change these notes on purpose? Either way, it’s very interesting.

coffeemug – Great work on this one! You played this very well, and the ritard was well executed both times.

lisa-k – This is only your third month playing ukulele? I’m very impressed! I like the harmonic at the end as well. You did a phenomenal job considering how long you’ve been playing. Muting the strings and having less string noise is definitely something that comes with practice. If you take the sections that you have this issue the most with and play them very slowly, you can become aware of where it’s an issue and what part of your playing is causing the noise. Then you can find a way to mute at the slower tempo, speeding up gradually only when you’ve succeeded in properly muting at each speed. Wonderful job!

smudge – This was the perfect tempo for you to play this at! You did a wonderful job on this! Now it sounds a little bit mechanical due to playing along with the metronome, so the next step is to play with a more legato feel, letting each note ring out a bit more, and eventually parting ways with the metronome to develop a more musical feel on the song. You have the hard work out of the way, the notes and shifts are certainly the bulk of this one!

schaap123 – You are doing very well on this one! There are a few rhythms in certain spots that are slightly different, and I highly recommend playing along with the tab player at 75% speed to figure out all of the spots you are changing the rhythm on. I also think playing at this slightly slower speed will help you get the notes to ring out a bit more. You’re doing great, keep it up!

omaon4 – Nicely done! You sound great on this, and with a tiny bit more work on the harmonic at the end, it will be superb! Your fretting hand wrist is bending a little bit too far in the way a waiter’s wrist would be while holding a tray over their head. Try to keep it straight rather than letting it bend this direction to avoid wrist pain. You’re doing a wonderful job!

jinajupiter – That reverb compliments this song very well! You’ve got most of the tricky parts down, it’s just getting all of those higher fretted notes to ring clearly at this point. I feel like playing slightly slower would give you time to get your fingers placed in time. Still, you played this very well over all!

dorabr – Great playing on this one! Just a tiny bit more work on the harmonic at the end. It’s tricky to get it right over the piece of metal accurately in time, but you’re close! My only other suggestion is just to pluck a little bit lighter throughout the piece to give each note a slightly softer attack. Good job on this!

mirthy – You’re off to a great start! Recording makes things harder, but I can tell you can play this, it’s just playing enough to lessen the anxiety at this point. One small thing rhythmically to change is in measure 16, make sure to count the rest after the half note. Right now you are cutting one beat out of the measure, so make sure to count to three (either “one two three” or “one two rest”) to keep your place. If someone were dancing a waltz to this, they would have to skip a step to stay with you otherwise! Still, you are doing great!

santai – Very nice job, especially with only 3 days of working on this one! You really got that harmonic to ring clear as well! I only heard one spot transitioning from theme 1 to theme 2 where the rhythm was slightly off, but judging by the rest of it, this was a simple mistake and I know you would play it correctly on another take. Keep up the good work!

mszatanik

@Stephen
    i’ve reviewed the video again.
    it seams i’ve learned it wrong 😀 instead of playing open strings i’m holding 0210. Thanks for the feedback and for pointing that out, it’s asome knowing someone will review your work !
    xoxo

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by mszatanik.
    • This reply was modified 4 years ago by mszatanik.
    willymac
    Participant

@Stephen
    Thanks for your comments. I appreciate it. As to the form. I thought on the video it said the form was AA BB A. But, I don’t always wear my reading glasses for the computer, so I probably misread it. But ultimately I’m glad I played it twice, because the first time through I messed it up, so it was great to have a second chance at it. 🙂

coffeemug
    Participant

Thanks, Stephen!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@willymac – you can def do that and it’s actually meant to be played that way. I mentioned that in the lesson video. I’ll let Stephen know 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 10.

—-

ukukelley1 – Beautifully played, Sheryl! Love the relaxed feel 🙂

uku_on – Much smoother and sustain-ier (is this a word LOL), Caleb! Excellent progress 🙂

the_moon – Well done! Here’s my tip for you:

robinboyd – Here’s my feedback for you and Sara:

kirpuff – Watch the video above. It’s for Robin and you 🙂

macdog – Great job! Here’s one tip:

Andrew
    Keymaster

WOW! We had 66 members participate this month! Classical challenges are always one of my favorites and I (and Stephen) thoroughly enjoyed watching everyone’s performances. Bravo to each of you who participated on a job well done!

This month’s prize is a beautiful Islander Spalted Maple Tenor Ukulele. So without further ado, the winner is:

null

null

Our April Challenge is LIVE: https://rockclass101.com/april-2020-challenge. The theme is Hawaiian Music and it’s your first chance to WIN a $1,370 Pineapple Kanile’a Ukulele! Hope to see everyone in the challenge! 🙂

mfaske
    Participant

Congrats to Anne Godfrey!!! And a huge thank you to Andrew, Stephen, Matt, and everyone at Rock Class 101 for making this challenge happen.

becky7777
    Participant

Congratulations Anne! 😁

lhamilton
    Participant

Congratulations, Anne!

annefgodfrey
    Participant

Thank you, Andrew & all my wonderful friends at Rock Class 101. I am sitting here bawling my eyes out! What a wonderful gift at this time, the first anniversary of my husband’s passing on March 26th. He would be so proud.

The submissions were absolutely over-the-top this month. Mine, the least deserving! But I humbly thank you.

Even moreso, I thank Rock Class for helping me through this past year. Please stay well & much love!

marygrace
    Participant

What a special gift for you Anne! Congrats and all the best.

lisamcc
    Participant

Ah – that’s so cool that you won Anne! Enjoy your special uke, lots of love xxx

samash07
    Participant

Congratulations Anne! That’s a very nice prize there!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.