Participate in the March 2020 Member Challenge – Classical Themed!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the March 2020 Member Challenge – Classical Themed!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    nathalie
    Participant

Hello everyone,
    Here is my second paricipation to the Rock class 101 monthly challenge. Even if I have a Hi G string I’ve decided to play the Waltz in C. I can hardly recongnize the song!

No doubt, I’m still a beginner, I’ve tried Lagrima for a week or so and nop I’m not there yet.

I had a lot of fun anyway! Thanks for this challenge!

Nathalie

surfnrz

Here is my take on Lagrima. I loved working on this although a couple sections were really tricky. Excellent lesson Andrew! I wanted to really experiment with phrasing and rubato. I hope you like it. Excellent submissions so far by everyone! Stay safe and healthy. I am a premium member.

uku_on
    Participant

I am a premium member. This is my attempt at Lagrima. It’s not perfect but I wanted to get a complete play through before I don’t have the chance to finish by the end of the month

Stephen

lyndallk – Wonderful job on the dynamics and feel on this one, and great work getting almost zero squeak out of the low G! You are rocking this one!

laurakarr12 – Great job on this! Just a tiny bit of work on the harmonic and you have it! Every now and then I hear a tiny amount of fret buzz like between 4 and 5 seconds in. Is this from a finger grazing the string, or might the low G need to be adjusted? Either way, your playing is great, just something to think about. It may just be that you can hit it just a little bit lighter, either way it’s a tiny detail. Awesome playing on this one!

timolnz – Excellent work! Great tempo, playing, and just one slight buzzy note at the end. That was a very clean harmonic at the end!

nathalie – I kind of like the sound of it with the high G! Your playing is very nice on this one! I have one small suggestion: work on getting the pinky to hold out of the note in measure 3 (and all times this part comes back) just a bit longer to keep the legato vibe of the song through this part. It takes a bit of work, the main thing is just not to eject from the note quite so quickly. I would practice just that measure into measure 4 to make it a bit more fluid. Great job, keep up the good work!

surfnrz – Wonderful playing on the rubato and the dynamics! Keep up the great work!

uku_on – Excellent work on this! You’ve certainly got the notes down, and your right hand technique is excellent! I would exaggerate the dynamics to give the song a bit more emotional appeal: each phrase can start quieter, crescendo towards the middle, and gradually return back to the quieter volume for effect. This works best on Melody A. Melody B can be a bit louder over all to match the intensity! You’re well on your way on this one! Keep it up!

surfnrz

Thanks so much Stephen! Awesome live jam last night!

lisadmh
    Participant

I’m not satisfied with this recording but I’ve put a lot of work into this song and this seems to be as good as it gets. I’m starting to frustrated with it, so I’m posting now so I can take the pressure off.

andrewvh
    Participant

Here’s my entry for the month. I’m pleased with my progress but reaching a point of diminishing returns, maybe some pointers will help.

johanna2509
    Participant

Here is my try on Lagrima. The recording is from March 10. I couldn’t get a better one and I also started to learn other songs. I know that some parts are not in time, but it is a lot better than in the beginning of the month.

Stay safe, play ukulele.

becky7777
    Participant

Uploading in case something happens that stops me from recording like last month.. I may re-record on the Tiny Tenor if I get something worth reposting.

Supposedly Tarrega wrote Lagrima when he was on tour in Europe somewhere and was really missing home. I tried to play it to reflect that…

Featuring the new Yamaha GL-1 Guitalele. It’s set up, but still with the semi-rusty stock strings. It still sounds stuffy too. Hope it opens up!) It’s a 6 string Low G uke. I didn’t use the two extra strings obviously, but it sounds pretty good imo. I didn’t try muting the string drone from the unmuted strings. I was having enough of a time visualizing the fretboard without the extra strings.

Question, how do we go about adding in a second B melody to play it AABBA? (sounds awkward when I try to add in a second one)

Lots of string noise and played it slower then I wanted to, to minimize mistakes and flubs. Played it free time by remembering phrases. Seems like a common thing to do with this song on youtube…

Recording quality is awful, sorry. (Thank you for picking something by Tarrega btw. I really like a bunch of his songs.) This one really made me think about how to move my hand, and has a bunch of technical stuff I need to work on.

katazumiri
    Participant

Hello everyone,
    here is my entry Waltz in C (No.2).

iyers408

Hi Andrew

I listened to the original guitar arrangement on youtube in E, and this is a lovely arrangement of Lagrima. I have been practicing this and been having trouble with bar 14, until I accidentally happed to bar the 7th fret for the Dm11 and the 2nd fret for the E7 and noticed it makes my pluck off quite a bit easy. What do you think? Thanks, Shankar

Andrew
    Keymaster

@iyers408 – that works!

Andrew
    Keymaster

lisadmh – I thought that was brilliant, Lisa! I can tell you put a lot of work into this. Moving forward, I’d work on increasing your sustain. And the best way to do that is to slow the tempo down so you can focus on that one aspect. Keep up the great work!

andrewvh – Well done, Andrew! As you continue to practice, I’d recommend slowing the tempo down and focusing on getting the notes to have more clarity. Check out this lesson as Matt touches on this subject and others related to it.

johanna2509 – Great playing! Notes and chords have a good feel and sustain. The one thing I’d work on is getting the piece to have a more consistent flow. For example, if you listen to the first four bars, they flow extremely well. But the piece gets more difficult in the following bars. This increased difficulty makes it harder to play, and if you try to play at the tempo of the first four measures before you have it 100% hundred percent down, it can sound a bit choppy.

So I’d take two or four bars at a time and just loop them (at a slower tempo). Then go back and add the first four bars while keeping the tempo consistent.

becky7777 – Great job, Becky! I’d work on keeping the tempo a bit more consistent before implementing free time or rubato. Last month, I made this video for a member and it touched on how rubato is subtly used to create a natural feel. I think that video will give you a few ideas on implementing this concept.

katazumiri – Excellent job! Great timing and beautiful ritardando. The only thing I can suggest is to work on increasing the tempo a little bit. Keep up the great work!

becky7777
    Participant

@Andrew – Thanks 🙂 I’ll work on it. Apologies for uploading a cringy version.

I send my friend a link when I record, and he was agreeing with me it was cringy. If we have internet i’ll repost. Still practicing it.

——————-

@everyone – Any advice, videos people found, or whatever about adding in a second melody B? (And making it sound like it’s supposed to happen?)

lakeside339
    Participant

My ipad does not seem to record loudly – turn up your speakers! Once again – multiple attempts to record cleanly. Either buzzy notes or a nice harmonic – not all in the same recording 🙂 I have also been able to play it faster than this – but only if I am not recording. I know y’all understand…. Enya tenor with low G.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by lakeside339.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by lakeside339.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.