Participate in the May 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a Ukulele

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a Ukulele

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@lyndallk – Lovely take, Lyndall and truly amazing progress for just one week of practice! I’d love to hear where you get it when you get a chance to pick up the uke again 🙂

@laurakarr12
    – Awesome to hear about the donation by your uke group! And your performance was excellent! Great job on nailing the playful feel 🙂

qiuyan
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Love this song! I need to practice some chord transitions and make the tones clearer. I think my playing was better at slower tempo, but I still want to record it at this tempo to make it sound more like the original song 😄

clempek
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey,
    it’s my participation for the challenge with yellow submarine.

have a good day

nthibode

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I love all the Beatles songs this month! I chose to submit Blackbird but am going to learn Let It Be next!! For this recording, I opened the window to get some bird sounds and the timing couldn’t have been more perfect (at the pause — no editing!).

And here’s a funny outtake: not blackbirds, but Canada geese flying by at an inopportune time…

Cheers!

rafaela
    Participant

I am a PREMIUM MEMBER.

Hi everyone!
    This month I picked “Blackbird”, it is just the perfect song for spring in my opinion. Also, I coudln’t help but put my own little recording of birds’ twittering into the track, I hope it is audible 🙂

(Please excuse the slight off-tune of my uke, I had just changed strings the day before the recording and they were’t quite keeping the tune yet!)

Thanks for listening, Rafaela

Andrew
    Keymaster

@qiuyan – Well done, Qiuyan! I agree with you. A slower tempo will allow you to focus on those 2 areas. But I’d also recommend to work towards gradually bringing it up to the tempo of this performance.

@clempek
    – Well played, Clem! Your take captured the fun vibes of the original recording 🙂

@nthibode
    – Brilliant as always, Nathalie! Def gonna share this!

@rafaela
    – Excellent performance with great feel throughout!

nthibode

Thanks @Andrew! I always enjoy learning from this site 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by nthibode.
    rafaela
    Participant

@Andrew Thank you! 😀

robinboyd
    Participant

@nthibode – I love how you included the foot tapping like the original.

deadbuggy
    Participant

PREMIUM MEMBER

I’ll see Nathalie’s geese and raise her a barking dog! At least he wasn’t howling. Best I can do on a challenging but fun lesson. Thanks, Andrew!

nthibode

@robinboyd – Thanks Robin! I like it too.

@deadbuggy
    – LOL, love it Sara!

cemusicalele
    Participant

I am a premium member

Hello! This is my first participation in one of your challenge. I hope to have done well for a first Time.

leb397
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

SO Hard to record something decent . Another challenge for me and room for improvement. Comments welcomed. I’ll practice more but second half of May leaves little time. BTW I couldn’t get the tempo with my thumb for the “trumpet solo” so I used staccato technique I learned in April challenge Minuet in G. Louisa

Andrew
    Keymaster

@deadbuggy – Beautifully played and I like the subtle changes you threw in 🙂

@cemusicalele
    – Excellent performance! You nailed the playful feel, well done!

@leb397
    – Great performance, Louisa! I enjoyed watching it 🙂

The one area I’d suggest working on is barre chord note clarity. Some of the barre chords sound like a note is being unintentionally muted. Mainly the D chords. Like the first one (2225) and the ultra hard fingering Matt does for 2220.

For the most part, your form looks fine. But scoot the index finger back a little so it’s not over the metal fret on string 4. Other than that, it’s all a finger strength game.

Here’s a video I made a couple years ago for another member that talks about both of these areas and gives a little exercise idea. You can run this exercise up/down the neck using any barre chord shape.

debb1985

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I went with Yesterday this month and played it on my Baritone. I just love the sound of it even though it tends to make songs a little more challenging because of the bigger stretches and chord distances. This take is pretty decent except for the end where my brain and hand checked out for the day lol. Maybe if I have time later this month I will try and record it on my Tenor and see how that goes.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.