May 1, 2022 at 2:17 pm #51796
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #62! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an INCREDIBLE Kanile’a 2021 Platinum Ukulele! This tenor sized model is crafted with Master Grade Koa wood and retails for $6,000 USD.
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 3,200+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 RC101 Lessons:
1) Yellow Submarine * – A playful take that’s perfect for the seasoned beginner.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
2) Blackbird * – Learn to fingerpick one of the most iconic acoustic guitar songs. While our arrangement is intended for vocal accompaniment, the harmony is so beautiful that it can stand on its own as an instrumental piece.
Note: Requires Low G ukulele. Singing is OPTIONAL.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
3) Yesterday – Learn one of the most beautiful compositions by Paul McCartney.
Note: Requires Low G ukulele.
4) Let It Be – This arrangement tastefully blends harmony and melody to create an intricate fingerstyle piece that’s perfect for the advanced player.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Don’t worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “Yellow Submarine”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Blackbird” [INTERMEDIATE], “Yesterday” [INTERMEDIATE], OR “Let It Be” [ADVANCED]
3. Participation Goal: 100 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 RC101 pieces anytime between Sunday, May 1st till Tuesday, May 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 6 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our April Challenge: Classical Songs!
Second Chance: Participate in our May Challenge: Beatles Songs!
Third Chance: Participate in our June Challenge.
Fourth Chance: Participate in our October Challenge.
Fifth Chance: Participate in our November Challenge.
Sixth Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries.
On July 4th at 12pm EST, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will BE AWARDED 10 EXTRA ENTRIES. This event will mark the end of our Spring Challenges (April, May, June).
We will break for July, August, and September. Entries for the prize will resume for our Fall Challenges (October, November, December).
On Christmas Eve (December 24th at 12 PM EST), I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele!
To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 12 entries for the prize.
You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of May and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
Note: Previous Kanile’a winners are more than welcome to participate, but will not receive an entry for the prize.
1) $6,000 Grand Prize! Includes:
OUR 6 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!
LEARN MORE ABOUT HOW THIS UKULELE WAS CRAFTED
Kanile’a Original, TRU-Relief Tenor Body
Master Grade Front, Back, and Sides
TRU Bracing V3
Mass Reduction Interior
Magnetic Back Access Panel
Ebony Radiused Fingerboard, Ebony Bridge, and Ebony Head Plate
Platinum Crown Slotted Headstock
Gotoh Stealth Gold Tuners with Kanile’a Knobs
Ebony Bridge Pins
NuBone Nut and Saddle
Gloss Body, Silk Neck Finish
Ebony Side Position Markers
Curly Koa Headplate Inlay
Curly Koa Leaf Position Markers Inlay on Fingerboard in Koa
Curly Koa Leaf Inlay on the Bridge
Koa Leaf Sound Hole with Curly Maple Trim
Koa Leaf Side Sound Port with Maple Trim
Curly Maple Front and Back Binding
Curly Maple Fretboard Binding
Curly Maple Head-Stock Binding
Curly Maple Back Strip
Curly Maple Tail Strip
Curly Maple Bevel
Curly Maple Heel Cap
Worth Clear Strings with Wound Low G
Other Features: Includes a hard case by Stagg
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!May 1, 2022 at 3:10 pm #51797jbmills07Participant
I am a Premium Member
Normally I practice all month and then post towards the end. But I happen to be practicing Yesterday while at the park when the May challenge was announced. So I thought, what the heck, ill record how Im doing with the song now, and see if i can make progress through the month and post again at the end! Song is a bit out of my league, but I just had to learn it! So beautiful!May 2, 2022 at 7:25 pm #51799mark1256Participant
I am a Premium Member
Here’s Yellow Submarine. Now onto Blackbird.
May 3, 2022 at 8:37 pm #51806May 5, 2022 at 7:16 am #51858
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
Here is my May submission, beautiful Beatles classic- Blackbird. Apologies for missed notes and some hiccups. I posted anyway because I was eager to start with Yesterday.
Good luck for everyone and looking forward to see some more submissions!May 5, 2022 at 1:53 pm #51860pysankyParticipant
I am just practicing Blackbird and I was wondering if there is a difference between the download music to print off, particularly bar 40, compared to the recorded and sound slice versions? Thanks, I’m just a little confused.May 5, 2022 at 2:20 pm #51861
@pysanky – yes I noticed too small differences between printable and Soundslice version. It has happened before with some other arrangements and I just have been playing the version what I like more. So, I dont believe it is going to be a problem if You play whatever version You prefer 🙂May 5, 2022 at 2:23 pm #51862pysankyParticipant
Thank you!May 5, 2022 at 2:31 pm #51863
@evapaju – Excellent take, Eva. Keep up the great work!
@pysanky – Eva is spot on! I always update the tab player to reflect the performance version. Sometimes this differs from the lesson version, which you noticed. We try our best to play exactly as taught, but sometimes when you’re in the moment a note/chord here or there changes.May 6, 2022 at 5:54 am #51864sir_anzalotParticipant
Heck yeah, it’s only the 6th and I’m already done learning yesterday! I think four days is not a bad effort =)
I’m going to keep at it for a while longer though before I sit down for a full blown recording session to do this beautiful arrangement justice
Also nice work @evapaju 🙂May 6, 2022 at 3:08 pm #51868May 7, 2022 at 11:06 am #51871lyndallkParticipant
I’m a PREMIUM MEMBER
Here’s my submission – “Let it be” Thanks for the beautiful arrangement, Steven
If I had another week or two it would be smoother and at speed. This was the best I could do in this first week of May. After tomorrow I won’t have access to my uke for a couple of weeks. I may put it in again when I’m better at it. All that said – I make no excuses.May 7, 2022 at 11:08 am #51873laurakarr12Participant
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I decided to have some fun and play YELLOW SUBMARINE on this outdoor, carbon fiber “Donner” I just got from Amazon for $35.10, including shipping, case, extra set of strings, tuner, picks, cloth, etc. Our Hawaiian N40 Group purchased 3 more to donate to our local library to spread the joy of ukulele here in Memphis, TN!!!May 7, 2022 at 11:23 am #51876lyndallkParticipant
Hmmm not sure why there is no thumbnail showing on the video I posted. It does on my youtube channel. Anyway, hopefully you can open it. Curious.May 7, 2022 at 9:37 pm #51877cinicholParticipant
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.