Participate in the May 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a Ukulele

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the May 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a Ukulele

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    sarrafina
    Participant

I am a Premium Member
    This month I picked let it be. It is a fun song!

robinboyd
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is yellow submarine.

coffeemug
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Andrew!

jlbross
    Participant

I am a premium member. I did yellow submarine. I got a late start this
    Month and it shows. I had a hard time
    Stretching from 5th to 7th fret. I have
    An unusually small pinky so that kind of
    Stretch is difficult for me. And I struggled barring the D chord and getting the E and A String to ring clean.

mademoiselleannette
    Participant

Hi guys!
    I was so happy to see that this month’s challenge was dedicated to The Beatles. It’s one of my favorite bands. So I also chose one of my favorite songs. Here’s my entry with Yellow Submarine.

Andrew
    Keymaster

janaq1 – Playing sounds fantastic! Great feel throughout! The only thing I’m hearing is that some of the bars are rhythmically tripping you up. Which is understandable as the song is extremely syncopated. Try playing along with Steven in the tab player. That should help clarify any confusion. Also, don’t be afraid to sing the bars out-loud (not playing). That always helps me memorize syncopated lines.

sarahd – Amazing progress for 2 days! Honestly, only sounds like you need another day or two to have it perfect 🙂

jayton – I think it took me 20 takes to get Blackbird right LOL. Funny thing is you went with take 1. Reminds me of this video where the engineer from “Thriller” talks about doing 100 mixes and they end up going with number 2.

Onto your performance, it was great! I do want you to play that single-note melody run that happens before the last chorus with Matt in the tab player. Timing was a bit off in that section, so playing with him should help you strengthen it.

sarrafina – Beautiful playing, Sarrafina! So one thing I want you to work on is timing. I think you should jump into our reading course. It’s a great way to study rhythm and internalize the value of whole, half, quarter, eighths, and 16ths notes.

robinboyd – Excellent performance, Robin! And I like that subtle changes you through in 🙂

jlbross – Performance was great! I’m not seeing any form issues with the barres. And I think it’s fine to jump up for the 5th to 7th fret notes instead of trying to stretch. A little more practice and I think you’d have it smoothed out 🙂

mademoiselleannette – Performance was great! Couple little timing snafus, but nothing that can’t be easily overcome with a metronome. Solid performance overall, great job this month!

nelsonlin2021
    Participant

Thanks for the valuable feedback Andrew 🙂

casadot349

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I decided to go with “Yesterday” for this month. What a great song.

ukealori
    Participant

I am a PREMIUM MEMBER

I decided to learn the Uke a couple of years ago, for the sheer joy of making music, just for me, and to give this old brain a challenge.
    I really struggle with recording myself. I just don’t have flow and musicality when I play. This month I have tried to change my attitude when recording. I am not going for perfection – too stressful and impossible for me right now. My new goal is to aim for a take that shows me where I currently am.

I so admire all the participants that nail it – I hope to do that one day. So here I am, posting my video, with a grin and a feeling of accomplishment that I am better than I was last month. Cheers!

uku241
    Participant

Premium member here but I already submitted my ‘backup’. This is the video I had wanted to submit.

Okay, a bit silly I know, but I had a lot of FUN doing it and roping in my family. Big props to those of you who submitted Blackbird this month playing while singing! I optimistically tell myself if I had another 2 weeks to practice diligently, I would be able to sing and play at the same time but I’m probably kidding myself! That’s hard!!

dottiectrain
    Participant

This is my submission for this month’s challenge and I did Yesterday.

jeg143
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I decided i was going to use the first take no matter what happened.
    A couple of hiccups but for the first take I didnt think it was too bad.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by jeg143.
    smudge
    Participant

I am a premium member.
    I loved working on Blackbird and tried moving some of the chords in to different positions since I play it as an instrumental piece. Thanks for teaching this one!!

mkstewart67
    Participant

I am a Premium Member.
    Boy performing just doesn’t get any easier, very difficult to get rid of the jitters when the camera is rolling! I have to stop playing around as we are out of time. Here it is, mess ups and all, just keep moving! Thank you so much for teaching the song Blackbird, it is a blast to play.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by mkstewart67.
    russellbarnett
    Participant

I recorded this two days ago and then like an idiot almost forgot to post it!

Blackbird, without vocals. Actually I’ve been wanting to learn a great arrangement of this song for a long time so thank you for providing one, Andrew!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.