Participate in the November 2017 Member Challenge – 4 FREE Uke Lessons

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2017 Member Challenge – 4 FREE Uke Lessons

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    classicuke

Thank you Andrew. You are a good teacher. Trying to build up speed now.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thank you 🙂 Keep me posted on your progress!

lisamcc
    Participant

Here’s my attempt at Mr Sandman and the first time I’ve managed to post DAYS before the deadline date (in the past I have even been known to google the time difference…)
    I did attempt some dynamics to get more feeling into it, but parts may be too quiet for my laptop mic (particularly with buses and washing machines interrupting my recording session!)
    I think I normally play this a bit clearer – but I seem to really get nervous when I record myself – even when I know that I can do hundreds of takes… so for the benefit of my family, I’m going to move on to another song now!!!

lisamcc
    Participant

I’m attempting I’m yours next – that’s a big challenge for me – as I seem to favour picking and that strumming is wild!!! Very transferable though – so I need to sort that out!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Bravo Lisa! I dig the volume accents you put into it. You are really improving, it’s amazing to hear your progress 🙂 Keep up the good work!

lisamcc
    Participant

Thanks Andrew – I really appreciate that. I’m loving being part of the Rockclass 101 community and you are doing a fantastic job in teaching all these cool songs and techniques and being so motivating. My playing would not be making this progress without you.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Totally made my night, thanks Lisa 🙂

debber90
    Participant

Hey Andrew…I’ve had a busy month and I’ve been working on Fur Elise…I keep thinking its good, then I record it and it’s not that good…but…here it is.

mycaptain
    Participant

Hey!
    Amazing recordings on this thread! Well, now is my turn and it won’t be as glorious!
    Andrew, I really enjoyed your beginner course so here is my take on “Your First Song”!

It’s definitely not perfect and I feel like the strumming part sounds really weird. Will keep practicing 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by mycaptain.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Way to go Deb! That’s a challenging tune and you did so well! I’ve got a few suggestions for you. First (and I’m going to make this generalized for others that are reading your feedback), we talked about using the on-screen tab viewer with the metronome activated as a guide to help you practice (See my advice for Deb from last month challenge beginning in this post and the 3 immediate posts underneath it). Did you get a chance to approach practicing this song the same way?

One thing I noticed you did quite a bit involved the ring finger bending at the first knuckle (for ex: 39 seconds in). I want you to watch that as you continue to practice and try to keep it curved on the fingertip. In the second Melody, or the walk-down chord section, I’d like you to give the fingerings that I suggest for the chords a shot. It’s going to be much easier to use those fingerings for the transitions. Let me know if you need help on the barre chord that’s in it. Overall, I’m very impressed with you and you established a great base for this song. Keep up the good work!

—-

Quentin, awesome playing! I made a little video with my feedback and some tips for you. Let me know if you have any question 🙂

mycaptain
    Participant

Andrew, thank you so much for this amazing feedback! I’ll keep practicing and get back to you with a new video by the end of the month 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

My pleasure and looking forward to it!

ser_ser

Hi,Andrew

Here is practice one. I have not tried this piece before. No wonder this is a classic piece, the more I play it, the more I could enjoy the piece.

anyway I am still working on middle part chord transition; I could get it all clear at tempo 60; trying to get it all clear at 75 now.

rickeymike
    Participant

Fantastic, ser. I think the tempo was perfect……..Rickey

Andrew
    Keymaster

That was excellent ser_ser! I really dig the pause that you put in at 17 seconds. This song does really well with stylistic expressions. Another song that does well too is “In the Hall of the Mountain King“, except with that one I think it’s cool to increase the tempo for each successive melody.

One thing that I think will help you with the walk down chords section is to use your ring and middle finger to form the C chord. This will help set you up for an easier transition to the next chord. Give that a shot and let me know if you have any other questions. Truly great job, keep up the good work!

And a big Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I am thankful for all of you 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.