Participate in the November 2017 Member Challenge – 4 FREE Uke Lessons

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2017 Member Challenge – 4 FREE Uke Lessons

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

That was excellent Steve! That uke sounds nice too! I like that you added the 4th string notes for the chords. The only thing that stuck out to me was on the last riff. You pulled the 2nd string notes down a bit, so watch out for that as it will cause the note to sound a bit sharp. Overall, awesome, sounds great!

olphart
    Participant

Here is my submission. I’m not happy with it, but it’s been a crazy month and I ran out of time.

rickeymike
    Participant

Here I revisit Our First Song. I’m posting the one I did in July as a new member also. Looks like I cut at least 30 seconds off the first performance.

crazydane
    Participant

Here is my last minute submission of Fur Elise. Unfortunately lots of mistakes but I have no more time to work on it.

benjamin
    Participant

This is my submission of Fur Elise 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by benjamin.
    cyberloh
    Participant

A loudsy play

Andrew
    Keymaster

James, I thought it was lovely! Your tone sounds wonderful. You mentioned you ran out of time, and I think you are very close to being where you want to be with the song. It only needs a bit of touching up in the sections where you hesitate a little. It really was wonderful, you’re definitely improving! Keep up the good work 🙂

—-

Rickey, way to make a $38 ukulele shine! 🙂 Big improvements over the first take! You have a much better flow to your playing. This is what I would continue to work on: Eliminating the pauses between sections. So what I want you to do is to push yourself. For example, I want to see your timing become even in sections. To do this, I want you to use the on-screen tab viewer with the metronome activated as a guide to help you practice (See my advice for Deb from last month’s challenge beginning in this post and the 3 immediate posts underneath it). You are going to loop sections and play along with the guide. Try to keep up with it and push yourself to stay in time.

One other thing, try to mute the 4th string with your thumb when strumming the chords as that note clashes and sounds dissonant. Overall, great job! Keep rocking!

—-

crazydane, awesome job! You have great picking technique! The only suggestion I have for you is to focus a little bit more on the timing. One way you can do this is to slow down the tempo and loop sections, then piece larger sections together. I really dug your performance, thanks for participating!

—-

Wow Benjamin! You are amazing! I wish I played like you at 10 years of age 🙂 I do have one suggestion for you, I noticed that you fingerpick directly over the neck. I’d recommend to move your right hand back a bit, so that it is over the sound hole. Check out this lesson to read a more in-depth explanation of where we recommend to place your right hand for picking and strumming.

—-

cyberloh, excellent playing! You have great timing, feel, and tone. The only thing I can suggest for you is that when you strum the walk down chords, to lighten up on the attack of the strum. Since your fingerpicking is very delicate, you want to match the feel of the strum to that vibe. But bravo, I really enjoyed your performance!

rickeymike
    Participant

Thanks, Andrew. You know, when I played it back (it was one take), I DID notice those pauses. I must admit that I never did make use of the metronome and the on screen tab viewer. I’ve watched it but never attempted to play along because I thought that I could never keep up with it. Push, Rickey, push!

kayleighb

Ok, so I totally failed at trying 2 songs this month – I blame work!

Here is Our First Song revisited instead – I got the penultimate note unlike last time yippee

and here is the July 2017 version;

I’ve asked Santa for ££’s this year to go towards a new concert size ukelele which I hope to be able to purchase in the new year (once I decide what one I want), so hopefully soon I can put my little £30 Mahalo to rest. She has done me well so far.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great job Kay! Your form looks much better! The only thing I would continue to work on is transitioning from the riff to the chords without pausing. In other words, you’d want to practice the last bar of the riff going into the first bar of the chords and loop that section. Focus on nailing the timing so the flow isn’t interrupted.

Last tip for the ritardando: Began the first of these last two bars at normal tempo and gradually begin to slow down. This will sound much more natural then decreasing the tempo at the start of that section.

Thanks for posting both, it’s exciting to see/hear you improving and becoming a better player 🙂 Hope Santa brings you that new uke!

cornishdpt
    Participant

Ill try and post a better video later tonight, but in case I fall asleep doing paperwork, here is a first take but I know I can do better. I was trying to use the 4 finger style and definitely struggling a little as beginner

zukulele

Here is my entry of Fur Elise. I practiced so much the other night that my hand cramped up. =) Thanks!

kayleighb

Thanks Andrew. I got really frustrated with that as I went into the strum using the wrong finger. I found if I fret using my middle finger its easier to then lay down my index to carry on and the gap is less noticeable. I went into the strum on this take (which was about the 70th time I’d recorded it) using my index finger and it threw me off 😊

Andrew
    Keymaster

Big thanks to everyone who participated this month! Overall, we had 22 site members participate! As always, I am blown away and extremely humbled. It’s such a joy to watch everyone’s performances 🙂

So without further delay, the winner for this month’s challenge is: *drum-roll*

null

Congrats! I’ll be sending you an email soon 🙂 Also below, I have left feedback for everyone who submitted on the last day.

Our new challenge for December is live! Click here to check it out: https://rockclass101.com/december-2017-challenge

—-

Well played Cory! This is a great song for working on a 4 finger approach. I thought you did very well! Revisit the areas that tripped you up a little bit and loop those selections/slow them down to hone in on practicing. Also, I notice you pick over the neck. This was something I also saw in Ben’s playing. I’d recommend to scoot your picking hand back a little bit. Here was the advice I left for him, which will also help you 🙂

—-

zukulele, excellent job! That was a great performance, I can hear that you put a lot of work into it 🙂 My only suggestion for you is to touch up on some of the notes that weren’t clean. For example, a few notes buzzed here and there. But honestly, that rocked! Keep up the good work!

lisadmh
    Participant

Congratulations Crazydane! Let us know what you get!

Cool to hear everyone’s submissions.

Interesting, not a single person played I’m Yours, from what I saw. Usually the level one songs get a ton of submissions. Apparently I’m not the only one who struggled with it. Maybe it’s harder than it looks, Andrew? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.