Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    debb1985

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I went with Toss a Coin to Your Witcher this month. I really enjoyed learning this song and the arrangement is really beautiful. Matt did an awesome job 🙂

allesyone
    Participant

Hi!

For November I chose “Toss a coin to your Witcher”~ It was so fun to (try to) play 😀
    This time I had to record with different phone, so sorry for this weird buzzing sound >_<

Happy strumming everyone!

kelsey91
    Participant

Here is my entry for November – Puff the Magic Dragon. I have been practicing this for a few weeks to the point where I have it pretty much memorized. I tried recording a bunch of times cause I wanted it to be perfect but this is what I got. 😄 I also played this for my nephew yesterday who is only a week old 😊 I hope you enjoy it !

kelsey91
    Participant

I also tried it again on my tenor uke today. Not sure what effect i had on I think it was reverb but I thought it sounded nice. I know this is not a second entry just thought I’d post it anyway. Again not perfect but fun to play! Hope you like it!

addilein
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I have a low G ukulele so it sounds a little bit different at certain measures. If you have any suggestions how to make it work better for the low G uke that would be great.

antotonin
    Participant

Hello,

I AM A PRENIUM MEMBER !

Here is my attempt to this month registration with dream state. Sorry for the light in the video…

Really nice song once again.

amylilley

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I still need to work on ‘Puff the Magic Dragon’ but here is where I am with it so far. I found this quite challenging, but such a fun song and definitely one I’ll keep practicing 🙂

brettboy
    Participant

Hi Uke Friends! I love watching all of your wonderful submissions so far this month. Here’s my video for Dream State!

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

emiliano
    Participant

@Brettboy hahaha I really enjoyed the 2 videos, now I want to learn Dream state so I can nap like that!

Stephen

marianne – Very nice job on this one! You captured the feel very nicely, played with a great tone, and demonstrated the various techniques in the piece very well. Great use of vibrato, slides, and hammer ons/pull offs. Keep up the great work!

isabelm – Great job on this song! Your rhythm is very strong even on the more complicated passages. It seems like you paused a little bit right at the end, so just working out that slight hesitation, and you are all set! Very well played!

tsetsova – That was wonderful! I’m amazed that you’ve only been playing for such a short time. You played the whole piece, and especially the harmonics, very cleanly! My only suggestion is to play just a tiny bit slower to give your mind a chance to remember the next parts of the song. This will help to work out any hesitations that happen. Excellent job, keep up the great work!

debb1985 – You are doing a great job so far! Everything sounds great, now it’s time to work on shifting smoothly to the chords in measures 28 and 29. Once you get those shifts, you’re there! Great playing on this one!

allesyone – Wonderful job on this song! You have the notes and rhythms down, and you also knew which notes to accent to keep the pulse and feel of the song very clear. Your phone sounded fine, but an external microphone might help with the occasional buzzing. Keep up the great playing!

kelsey91 – I love that you played this for your nephew, that is very sweet. You are doing a great job on this one, especially by playing it from memory! There are just a few spots like 0:15 in where certain chord shapes are taking just a tiny bit too long to get to. This is a small detail, but it’s just enough to interrupt the flow of the song. Have you tried playing the song with a metronome at a slightly slower speed? This might help your mind and fingers get used to having to shift just a tiny bit ahead of time. You are doing a great job, keep it up.

addilein – Great job on this one! Your playing and timing sound wonderful! There are a few things you could do when a melody note ends up on the low G…here’s one example: At the end of the piece (1:02) into the song, replace the E7 up strum with a single G# on the 2nd string (4th fret). There might be a way to still use chords voiced a bit differently instead of individual notes, but hopefully that helps for now. Keep up the great playing!

antotonin – Great playing on this one, you did a very good job with the rhythm and getting all of the notes. When you strum the G5 chord in measure 15, try muting the A string with either the bottom of your fretting hand pinky, or using your ring finger to make sure the A string is silent. Then the only thing left is to wait for the upbeat in measure 22 after strumming the G chord. It’s hard to tell, but the chord is a dotted quarter note (one and a half beats in length). With those two small changes, you’ve got the song performance ready! I’m glad that you liked the song, you played it very well!

amylilley – You are off to a great start! You have the notes and a general idea of the rhythm. After you get more comfortable with each part, go back through slowly and count the rhythms as you play. There are a few parts near the beginning of the song with some variations on the rhythm that add to the song. Keep going, you’re doing great!

brettboy – Great job! Who knew that my song would be the perfect sound track for your nap? I enjoyed the video, and you are playing the song well! At the end, in measure 22, try leaving a bit more space between the chord and the individual notes for effect. It’s hard to see on the music, but the G chord is actually held out for a beat and a half in addition to the ritardando. To me, the pause there makes a nice effect and keeps the dreamy vibe. Keep up the great playing!

tsetsova

@Stephen, thanks for the feedback! I think the nerves make me play faster when I record! I’ll try to slow down more 🙂

surrealflea
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here’s my upload. I went for Toss a Coin to Your Witcher, which is a bit of stretch for my green ukulele skills, but the arrangement is so beautiful (Thanks, Matt! Brilliant work!) and the song so pretty, it’s something I want to continue playing and working on for a long time in the future.

Also… I’m very, very new to harmonics and know that I didn’t manage them well in this recording. Something I’m definitely still working on!

debb1985

Thanks @Stephen for the feedback! Transitioning to 4 finger chords has always been a struggle, but it is starting to get easier. More practice!!!!

brettboy
    Participant

Thanks @emiliano! Nap time rules.

brettboy
    Participant

Sounds good. Thanks @Stephen!

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.