Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@surrealflea – Well done! I’d say it’s a great piece to work on for your playing level. Check out the harmonics course to work on that technique. As far as the performance, it was great overall! Try to take 1 section and see if you can boost the tempo ever so slightly. This will help you work on gaining speed.

ukesilver
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi all!
    Thumbs up for all your submissions, great to see many people (and cats!) participating 🙂

Here’s my take on Dream State, can’t wait for the next set of songs for December!

Marco

Andrew
    Keymaster

@ukesilver – Bravo, Johnny! I’m gonna share this on our social this week 🙂

kirpuff
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I’ve been wanting to learn this song since it popped up last year so I was happy to see it in this month’s choices! If only season 2 would pop up soon.

Thanks Matt and Andrew!

marianne
    Participant

Thanks @Stephen for your feedback!

ukesilver
    Participant

@Andrew oh my, I guess next time I’ll try not to breathe like Darth Vader then! 😀

sdorunga
    Participant

Hi,

This is my entry for November. I ended up going for the Witcher song because I liked the sound of it a lot, many thanks to Matt for arranging it! My main struggle with this one was memorising it as it’s definitely the longest song I’ve tried and it has a lot of similar but slightly different bars. I struggled a lot recording it because I find it harder to remember where I am in the song when the camera is on 😀

This one has a couple of mistakes and stumbles in it, I’m only a bit disappointed for the final harmonics as I used to be able to do them before I cut my right hand nails. But figured I might not have the time to record later so wanted to get it out there. Otherwise I really enjoy playing it, so thanks again for this month’s challenge!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@kirpuff – Great job, Sara! I dig the slower tempo-d intro then out the gates running for the rest of the tune! Cool idea 🙂

@sdorunga
    – For the harmonics, check out the first 2 units in module 2 of our Harmonics Course. That will teach you the correct way to do them 🙂

As for as your performance, you did great! I’d recommend following the steps we teach in our Practice Guide. Basically, take a section (4 or 8 bars) and loop it until you can play it cleanly and steadily (tempo wise). Then do the same with the next section and piece them together. This helps you build the songs step-by-step instead of trying to tackle everything all at once.

ealtman

I had fun learning Haunted Uke. I recorded myself so I didn’t get the whole uke in the video. However, considering, I think it came out ok.

Thanks for the challenge!

Elizabeth

Oh yes, I am a premium member too!

Love this site!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by ealtman.
    ealtman

That was amazing after only 2 months! Fantastic!

tric_o_tronic
    Participant

I am a premium member

Hi.
    My entry is the haunted theme.

I wanted to go for the Witcher, but I could not make it in time.
    The problem that I have with the song is to memorize it correctly. The differences are to small or the passages to similar.
    And of course to get it uo to speed without short breaks between the measures.

oldan_
    Participant

I am a premium member.

So, I kind of hate to admit it, but I’m really struggling with this one. Spent an inordinate amount of time on this one and I have not been able to memorize it. It’s the first song I am posting where I’m reading the tabs while playing.

Anyhow, this is somehow much more difficult than I expected. I struggle to get the sound that I want and since the bars are basically all the same I always mess it up when playing from memory :/

I might try to upload something on the last day, but now I definitely need a break from this one. There are parts of it that sound really beautiful when I play them and this is definitely not a great take, but quite symptomatic of lots of small mistakes at different places. Somehow I can’t seem to get this one properly together, it’s always just short of what I would want…

marlongas
    Participant

This is my first post. I swear that when I’m not recording myself and listening to the metronome through headphones, I play better (not much, really). Thanks for the lessons as I learn a lot (I started 5 months ago). Also, I don’t speak English very well and I understand everything, so thank you for speaking so clearly. I’m a premium member

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by marlongas.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Andrew.
    lhamilton
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi,

This month I’m trying Toss a Coin to Your Witcher.

Linda

smokealot
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here‘s my entry for this months challange.
    It is crazy what happens once I start the camera! I have a lot more fun playing without being filmed – sounds better 😉

Is it obvious what I am doing wrong with the two pull ups at the beginning? I just cant seem to get it right.
    And yes: I cheated in the end. Will work on that later.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.