Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the November 2020 Member Challenge – WIN $1,800 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@mennloo – You did a great job!! 🙂 So I made this video awhile back for another member on a diff song, but it’s got tips that will help you out with what I think you are wanting to work on, which is: finesse. Also, check out this lesson, it dives further into developing this topic/concept.

tsetsova

Hi Matt and Drew, I’ve been learning “Toss a Coin to Your Witcher” for the challenge and I noticed there’s a discrepancy between the printable tabs and the play along tabs. To make matters even more confusing when Matt demoes the song it matches the play along tabs, but when he teaches it, it’s based off of the printable tabs.

It’s not a huge difference- in bars 3 and 25 a quarter note is turned into an 8th and an additional 8th note is inserted. Bar 26 has the opposite. I learned from the printed tabs and am now practicing my rhythm with the play along when I spotted the differences.

So I was wondering which is the definitive version? 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by tsetsova.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@tsetsova – I always update the tab player to reflect the performance version. Sometimes this differs from the lesson version, which you noticed. We try our best to play exactly as taught, but sometimes when you’re in the moment a note here or there changes 😉 Either one should work, I’d say pick the version you like the most.

tsetsova

Ah I see, that makes sense, thanks @Andrew!

mennloo
    Participant

Thank you so much @Andrew!

emiliano
    Participant

@Andrew thank you for the comment, I was wondering a little thing about harmonics, on the last bar of toss a coin to your witcher you do an harmonic on the 7th fret in 3 strings, if I try to do it with my most comfortable finger that is the index one the sound is not reliable at all I will say like 80% of the time it sounds really low and dim, same goes with the middle finger, the only finger that can make those harmonics sound “okay” is my ring finger but that feels super weird.

¿Any ideas how to work harmonics with my other 2 fingers?

Also I notice on my friend ukelele harmonics are way easier to make, like I can make it with any finger hahaha, so maybe is cause my uke is not that nice for making harmonics…

Andrew
    Keymaster

@emiliano – I think it’s more-so the execution of the technique. If you lift up after the strum, it should ring clearer. Check out Module 2, Unit 1 and 2 from our Harmonics Course for a more detailed explanation of this.

emiliano
    Participant

@Andrew Thanks will take this weekend to check the whole course!

ukulelee
    Participant

Thank you Andrew for the feedback, it is very useful. I will work on my index finger in Melodic Etude, and try to memorize pieces. I’d say memorizing has become VERY difficult in the last few years. Definitely worth improving, especially for performing. Cheers

alisoniles

I AM A PREMIUM MEMEBER

Hello Rock Class,

I’ve been playing the ukulele for about 2 months and I love it. True story – I was inspired to pick up the ukulele after hearing a friend play “Puff the magic dragon” on a wild river trip, so when I saw this challenge I had to enter. This arrangement is beautiful and I hope to play it smoothly one day. I’ve really enjoyed watching the other entries.

Thank you!
    Alison

robinboyd
    Participant

2 months!!!!! I’m so jealous! I couldn’t even maintain a basic strum after 2 months.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@alisoniles – Wow, I’m with Robin – very impressive! Well played and your right & left hand form looks great! Keep up the good work 🙂

marianne
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi! Here is Haunted Uke! It was fun to play with piano accompaniment, lovely eerie tune 🙂

Thanks!

isabelm
    Participant

I am a Premium Member. Here’s Puff the Magic Dragon. Such a fun song to learn and play!

tsetsova

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here’s my entry – I did Toss a Coin to Your Witcher to really push myself. I’m at about 3 and a half months now. I learned a lot from this song – about harmonics, about campanella… This was such an awesome arrangement – it was really satisfying to learn. But it was so hard to record! I kept forgetting the song in randomest places 🙂 I’m glad I got a cleanish take!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by tsetsova.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.