Participate in the October 2017 Member Challenge – Halloween Themed ($300 Prize)

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2017 Member Challenge – Halloween Themed ($300 Prize)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    carmen-s
    Participant

Hello Andrew this is my first submission ever because I really wanted to learn the Stranger Things theme so I decided to give the contest a try, I still can’t play it at full speed but I’m currently at 80%, I know the performance is not that great but I think I still need a few more weeks to make it sound better but decided to upload it now before I run out of time

Andrew
    Keymaster

Excellent playing Carmen! I enjoyed your performance, keep up the good work 🙂

peropata
    Participant

Hi,

This is my first ukulele song, so here we go ..

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by peropata.
    ukukelley1
    Participant

Here’s my rendition of the Addams Family Theme…

Happy Halloween, all!

Go Astros!!!!!

Sheryl

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by ukukelley1.
    amelia

please enjoy!I tried my best.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by amelia.
    cornishdpt
    Participant

Here is my entry for the month’s challenge. Sorry for disappearing the last month or two. I’ve been learning the fretboard and some of the beginning tunes instead from the site. Still having issues with the cords at the end o.k. speed, but I thunk I’m starting to almost sound like a beginner now. Thanks as always for the inspiring videos,
    Cory

cornishdpt
    Participant

Sent in my entry yesterday, and I know I didn’t play this well, but thought it was cute anyways. Enjoy!

cyberloh
    Participant

sudave
    Participant

Thank you very much for the content and the challenges!
    To take part in that challenge, I have learned an entire song by heart for the first time. Usually I am not persistent enough.
    And, I have to say, I underestimated the patience you need to have to get a good recording.. Could not go through it all those times you make a new video.
    Last thing to say: I utilized a USB Phono PreAmp to record my playing, which is why it sounds a bit dull (not too bad for the percussive elements tho – make them sound like a heartbeat).

Here you go:

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by sudave.
    rickeymike
    Participant

As they say, if you’re lacking in talent, then razzle – dazzle ’em. Haha.

chipkk

Way to go Ricky, love the fun and enjoyment you put into this.

tinkeh

Hey everyone, this is my attempt at Stranger Things, sorry about the quality of the audio and I messed up a lot, so I’d love some pointers! Cheers from Australia!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by tinkeh.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

peropata, amazing job for your first song! Bravo 🙂 My only suggestion for you, is to play along with the metronome to smooth out the timing, as you sped up quite a bit in the vocal section. I gave Deb a few tips on this in this post, they will be helpful for you too.

—-

Sheryl, wonderfully played! It’s hard for me to tell from the video, but the single note picking looks like you were plucking with a lot of force. Would you say that you do? If so, try to lighten up the pick attack and see if it helps you play that phrase quicker and easier. Let me know. The second singing verse, you aced that, it was awesome! Keep up the good work!

—-

amelia, great job! What I would work on if I were you is getting the form down, specifically speaking about the singing section. You jumped back and forth between different parts. The best way to memorize a piece is to practice one bar at a time, then to tackle the second bar, then to practice bar one to two. The singing section is only four bars in length, so you can approach practicing the second half the same way and then practice all four bars together. Keep rocking 🙂

Helpful tip: Don’t forget to tune up before you play.

—-

Cory! Your daughter Phoebe is adorable. Loved the duet 🙂 and hey, welcome back! I thought your performance was wonderful, timing is spot-on, but I expect that from you 🙂 I think the only thing I would work on if I was you is cleaning up some of your playing. So if it’s a chord that’s not completely ringing out or a single note, go back and Target those areas. Slow it down, loop it, and focus on the clarity of each note. Once you get a hang of it, start to gradually speed it back up to tempo.

—-

cyberloh, great job! One suggestion: the licks between the snaps are eighth note triplets, but you played them as swung eighth notes. So I’d go back and work on playing the correct rhythm for those parts. Great job overall!

This video will help you understand that rhythmic section:

—-

Dave, congrats on performing the entire piece! Yes, it is a lot of work but it’s very rewarding and you should feel proud, because you did a great job! As you’ve noticed working on this song, one of the hardest things is to piece it all together. So what I would work on if I was you, is the transitions. For example, when the chord hits come in after the 16th note picking. You want to work on smoothly transitioning from that section, to the chords, and back. Overall I thought you did wonderful, keep rocking!

—-

Rickey, that was awesome! So excited to hear someone sing the song, keep rocking! And hey, you made tremendous improvement on the G chord, great job!

—-

tinkeh, great right hand picking technique! Or should I say left, you’re not alone anymore Cory, we’ve got another Lefty 🙂 I don’t think you messed up a lot at all, but I do have a few tips for you. The strum at 16 seconds in threw your timing off. When we’re quickly jumping between strumming and fingerpicking, we want to exercise the least amount of hand movement. So if you watch your performance, you’ll noticed that your picking hand lifts up, gets out of picking position, strums, then revert back to picking position. This takes a lot of time and makes it hard to stay in time. If you watch how I play that section, notice how I have very little movement and keep in picking position (video below). So focus on that for now and let me know how it goes 🙂

nocnyptak

Hello

Here is my entry. I am away from home and actually everbody is sleeping here so could record only my travel silent uke – hope it is ok but you do need volume max up to hear anything 🙂

I was actually working on Hertwig Theme piecethid month but my harmonics suck and my travel uke is headless so cannot do open string bends at all… Here is my The Adams family recording then – with my original rubato effect at the end ;-).

Great arrangements – thanks, Andrew!

rickeymike
    Participant

Chipkk Thanks. I did have a lot of fun learning this one.

Andrew – Ha. Singing and playing at the same time is like patting head and rubbing belly simultaneously. My playing had to slow down in parts when I was trying to remember the song’s lines. I went back and watched my “struggling video” with the G chord. Oh, gee! Was that me a few weeks ago. Ha. I pushed just like you said. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.