Participate in the October 2017 Member Challenge – Halloween Themed ($300 Prize)

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2017 Member Challenge – Halloween Themed ($300 Prize)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    debber90
    Participant

It’s coming along nicely….thanks Andrew for this months song. Here goes.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Wow Deb, big improvements! You are rocking now! Please share your practice routine and how you applied changes, that will def help other members 🙂 Keep up the great work!

Donna, you and Deb are cracking me up with the smiles 🙂 Very well played! I can tell you put a lot of work into it, bravo! I do have one piece of advice for you, it’s actually the same thing that I pointed out for ser_ser in this post. Take a look at that video as it addresses some tips to prevent the C string from ringing out when playing the first note of the song.

brabbit
    Participant

Maaaany takes for me too @donnaukulele!

Here’s my go:

ellieukulele

hey im having trouble uploading my video..any help?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by ellieukulele.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Ellie, listed under “Ground Rules” in our first post, members are required to self-host their video or audio files.

For video, I recommend YouTube. It’s free and easy to set up. Here’s a link to get started: https://www.youtube.com/create_channel

—-

Great playing brabbit! I do have one suggestion for you, which is the same thing that Deb is working on: Timing. You have a tendency to speed up and slow down, but the goal is to keep our timing constant. So I would recommend to watch and read the advice that I left for Deb and apply it to your practicing for this song.

It may be best to slow it down a notch while you practice. Focus on playing and counting out the rhythms along with a metronome or the on-screen tab viewer. Let me know if you have any questions and keep me posted on your progress. Keep up the good work!

debber90
    Participant

Hey Andrew and the rest of you ukulele nuts!

Andrew, you want me to talk about how I practice. Well, I have to say it’s a developing process. But, your advice to slow down, count out the beats and play with your scrolling music thingy really gave me some direction. So, I really really slowed the tempo, and focused on the rhythm. When I did that it just began to come together. In my practice sessions I’ve done this with everything I’m practicing and I realize how much I enjoy that very slow, but very precise playing. Your comments reminded me to slow down and enjoy the experience! Thanks Andrew.

ellieukulele

Andrew
    Keymaster

That’s great Deb! Keep it up, you are rocking!

—-

Wow, amazing Ellie! Very well played 🙂 My only suggestion for you is to work on smoothing out some of the transitions in the second melody, but other than that, bravo! Keep up the good work!

andsant007
    Participant

I did not do exactly the same, put a little of my way, but, the whole essence comes from the lesson you taught

Andrew
    Keymaster

Well done andsant007, bravo! I always encourage everyone to feel free to put your own spin on these arrangements, I dig what you did!

michalina
    Participant

I’ve done my best, but the tone at the end wasn’t clear this time. This is my first melody learned at your webside. I like it very much. 🙂

robinboyd
    Participant

Hi everyone. I’m new here. I’ll be honest, the only reason I’m here is because last week I was trying to work out the Stranger Things theme and your video came up when I googled it. I still haven’t bought paid membership because I’m poor, and I think I was able to reverse engineer the tune from the free video (or maybe not. You tell me.) I’ll probably get paid membership when I have money and when I get stuck (I can see myself getting stuck very quickly when I start trying to learn Hedwig’s them). Anyway, I figured if I was learning the song anyway, then I might as well enter the draw.

This attempt at the song is far from perfect. I stumble once or twice and the pull-offs are not clean, but from what I understand, this is a random draw, rather than being based on quality, so I’ll upload it anyway.

ambre_uke92

Hi !
    So I tried The Stranger Things theme, because it’s one of the best show ever !!
    I know it’s not perfect but I want to try “Hedwig’s theme” too, so I need some time.

I don’t know if it’s okay with the video because it can only be seen by the lick, and if it’s a problem don’t forget to tell me Andrew ! 😁

(Sorry if my english wasn’t perfect, have a nice day !)

Andrew
    Keymaster

Great job Michalina! You picked an excellent song to start with 🙂 I do have a couple suggestions for you. First, you may want to slow down the tempo just a touch to focus on cleaning up a few of your notes. The song has a haunting feel, so a slower tempo actually works really well for it. Second, go back and check your chord work at 0:46 as a couple of those chords were incorrect. Overall, I think you did a really excellent job and I really enjoyed watching your performance!

—-

Fantastic job figuring that out on your own Robin! Very well played 🙂 I think there was one section that you cut short, other than that it was great. I’m glad you entered the challenge, but I do want to stress that the prize is just a fun aspect of these challenges. The real reward is that we are getting better as players and coming together as a community. I know what it’s like to not have much money, so I’m giving you a month of Premium membership for free. Keep up the good work!

—-

Awesome job Ambre! And you even did the Fade Out, so cool. Speed and note clarity sounds great, keep rocking!

robinboyd
    Participant

Thanks. I’ll have a look to see what I cut short. I didn’t mean to suggest I was just in this for the prize. I just meant that I’m glad I don’t have to stress about being awesome. I can just relax and play and post a video and see what happens.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.