Participate in the October 2018 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile'a Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2018 Member Challenge – WIN a Kanile'a Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 270 total)
  • Author
    rickeymike
    Participant

ROTFL. I’ll just wait to be audited.

timolnz
    Participant

Thanks for your advice Andrew. I have attached my entry on Soundcloud URL below. Hope it opens ok and or you can fix your end if needed. Regards, Tim

“I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER”

rickeymike
    Participant

Tim, It works fine and sounds great. Good job.

mweir1
    Participant

Hi everyone.

Here is my attempt at St James Infirmary:

It took some time, but I think got there in the end… mostly!

Mairi.

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

rickeymike
    Participant

Mairi, Yes, you certainly did get there. Great playing.

Stephen

cncamacho Great job on the finger picking! That second pattern is tough! One thing that might help you get to the chord shape easier is to place the fretting hand thumb on the back of the neck and curving your fingers more. This will allow you to reach the notes on the C string easier. Thank you for participating!

pauvaliente Great job! Very consistent playing! I enjoyed your version of it! My only suggestion would be to work it slowly up to full speed. I hope to hear more from you in future challenges!

hafeez3115 Great playing on Walking Dead! Your timing was great, and the finger picking was spot on! On the note before the final chord, I’d recommend plucking just a little bit lighter next time so that it doesn’t stand out too much from the notes before it, and gradually slow down into that note. It’s a minor detail, but it can make a big difference from a performance standpoint. Very well played! …also, fantastic work on St. James Infirmary!

leahwoosley You’re doing a great job on this! I like the dynamics and how you gradually speed up and slow down a tiny bit to make the song really flow. I really like the filter you have on the video, too! I see that you’re assigning one finger per string for picking, and while this can make it easier, it’s causing the fast notes in a row on the A string and the G string to sound a bit choppy. To play those notes smoother, I would use more than one finger to pick those notes. Watch the lesson from 7:05 to see how Andrew accomplishes this with two fingers and practice very slowly to work it up to speed. You’re doing very well, this will just add to the flowing/haunting sound. Thank you for being part of the challenge!

brettboy What a spooky video! I can’t get over how creepy and awesome your video editing is! Great playing, wonderful work on being expressive and consistent! The only advice I can give you is to slow down the pull-off spots to make them evenly spaced to fit the rhythm Andrew wrote. It still sounds cool to do them fast, but I like hearing the individual notes sing. Wonderful job on this! I’ll have to take video editing lessons from you!

willymac
    Participant

timolnz
    Participant

Thanks Rikeymike. Getting the hang of Soundcloud….took awhile, took longer to get that first chord change in ‘The Walking Dead’ though….that took persistence. Hey there is a load of talent on this forum…good going everyone.

ukulelethemes
    Participant

First time video poster here! Love the content, dialogue and feedback. Nice work everyone!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here is everyone on page 4 🙂

mheiden, great job Maureen! Keep plugging away with the dynamic expressions. Did you try a lighter picking approach? I think that would work really well for your playing style and create a nice variation in the tonal landscape.

Watch out for bending at the first joint, which I see you did in the second chord. Try to keep it bent and on the fingertips.

rickkhan, loved it! Had to share it on our Facebook page 🙂 here’s a video with some feedback on relaxing your playing.

Keep at it with Etude 15, sounds good so far! I’d recommend a high G as the melody notes take advantage of that tuning. Low G lessons launch next Friday 🙂

nggnmm, excellent playing! By the way, I believe Mike is shipping out your uke this week 🙂

lisadmh
    Participant

Great job everyone! There are some awesome performances.

I’m watching all the St James feedbackand taking it in.

Andrew, on your relaxed groove one above, you make it look so darned easy!! Get ready to tell me to chill too once I’m up to posting… I’m as tight as they get.

rickeymike
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Well gang, I started in the beginning of the challenge by viewing the very first episode of this series. By the time I finished watching, I needed a Prozac. It was pretty depressingly hopeless. How they get 10 seasons out of this, I don’t know. Ha. Maybe the last episode will have him really waking up from a coma

Anyhow, my take was to be very deliberate and play it like a dirge.

miztaken
    Participant

I love seeing all that you guys are achieving – it is so impressive!!!
    And so inspiring too!
    Good luck to you all, a beautiful prize for someone out there…even though it is brown! 😉
    I shall continue lurking, watching, and admiring your work…

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

🙂

curlyuke
    Participant

Go Rickey! Very dirge like 😁 I tried out your idea of playing The Walking Dead to someone and asking them to guess the genre.My Dad thought it was Spanish!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 270 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.