September 28, 2018 at 10:30 am #18720
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #20! Because of YOUR support, Rock Class 101 is celebrating our 5th anniversary on October 27th, 2018! It’s been an amazing journey and a tremendous honor to be a part of such a wonderful ukulele community; a community that feels much more like a family. Words cannot express how grateful I am to be able to pursue my dreams of composing, performing, and teaching. I truly feel blessed.
As a small token of my thanks, we are teaming up with Kanile’a Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a K-1 Premium Koa Concert Ukulele (includes: UkeCrazy Hardshell Case), retailing at $1789.
I am also beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 500+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players 🙂 And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 Rock Class 101 Halloween Themed Genre Lessons:
1) “Bad Moon Rising” by Creedence Clearwater Revival – “Bad Moon Rising” is an upbeat and feel good tune. The rhythm combines aspects of the vocal melody, while keeping true to what the guitar player plays on the record. This is a great tune to work on for strumming and rhythm practice.
2) “The Walking Dead” Theme * – The theme song to the hit TV show, this piece uses only 3 chords to conjure up feelings of suspense and fright. * Taught in its entirety for FREE!
3) “St. James Infirmary” – A hauntingly beautiful melody entangled in a harmony of Jazz and Blues; this fingerstyle arrangement is ideal for the seasoned intermediate player.
4) Fingerpicking Etude no. 15 – Learn an eerie sounding fingerstyle etude that combines tritones, diminished chords, and the whole tone scale to create a Halloween-esque vibe.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “The Walking Dead” Theme
2. Intermediate Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Bad Moon Rising”
3. Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “St. James Infirmary” or Fingerpicking Etude no. 15
4. Participation Goal: 50 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 Halloween pieces anytime between Monday, October 1st till Wednesday, October 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our October Challenge: Halloween Themed!
Second Chance: Participate in our November Challenge.
Third Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On December 24th, I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele! To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize. You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of October and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
1) $1789 Grand Prize! Includes:
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE!
Body & FacePlate: PREMIUM KOA
FretBoard & Pin Bridge: ROSEWOOD
Head Stock: KANILE’A CROWN
Nut & Saddle: NUBONE
Tuning Keys: OPEN GEARED KANILE’A TUNERS
UV Finish: HIGH GLOSS
Strings: AQUILA SUPER NYLGUT (HIGH G)
Other Features: SAND INLAY ON FRETBOARD, INCLUDES UKECRAZY HARDSHELL CASE
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!September 28, 2018 at 12:20 pm #18721
Whew! I’ve been checking back every half hour waiting for this post. It truly warms the cockles of my heart to see and be a small part of your successful fruition. Never played an instrument of any kind until 18 months ago. Discovering Rock Class 101 was a life changer for me. Thanks, Andrew!September 28, 2018 at 12:46 pm #18722
Dang!September 28, 2018 at 1:01 pm #18723
Wow! I just checked my email and saw this. I’ve been looking at higher end Ukes.
This is exciting!!September 28, 2018 at 1:21 pm #18724
This will be the first time I will really want to win. And not just me, I guess. The prize is fabulous, I begin to practice.September 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm #18725
Ooooooo, pretty. My turn please! I will do my best. I haven’t tried any of these songs yet so I’m starting from scratch. It should be fun! Thanks for the chance Andrew.September 28, 2018 at 11:57 pm #18729
So beautiful….September 29, 2018 at 10:17 am #18740
This was the exact ukulele I wanted, but was a bit out of my price range… I am really glad I am a Premium member! I’m definitely going to enter all of these challenges! 😀September 29, 2018 at 11:30 am #18741
I’m a newbie to ukulele and this site, but I’m excited to enter these challenges!September 29, 2018 at 11:34 am #18742
Wow wow wow!!! What an amazing Uke!
For October I’ll be doing the Walking Dead. But I reaaaaallllly want to try St James’ Infirmary but I think it’s a little out of my league at the moment 😉September 29, 2018 at 7:03 pm #18750
That is one be-OOOO-tiful ukulele!!! As soon as you announced it on YouTube, I printed out the music for ‘The Walking Dead Theme’. I also printed out ‘La Gitanita’ so I can learn that fancy Flamenco strum.
I’m soooo excited to be able to participate and possibly win that amazing prize. Well, this is one way to get me to practice and join in the fun. LOL
Thank you for coming up with this fun way for us all to celebrate your 5th Anniversary.
RoxiOctober 1, 2018 at 5:17 am #18818
jakeypooParticipantOctober 1, 2018 at 5:50 pm #18838
I’m challenging myself this month and going with St James Infirmary. Maybe it’s a bridge too far but we’ll see.
Great version jakeypoo!October 1, 2018 at 8:20 pm #18843
So to be clear, for premium members we get 2 entries per month, so do they have to be 2 different songs or can we re record based on feedback?
Very cool Prize! So beautiful!!
October 1, 2018 at 8:52 pm #18845
- This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by ambera.
ambera, no… I’m giving 2 entries towards the prize per 1 song performance submitted for premium members. Basic members get 1 entry.
Submitting 2 songs does not equal any further entries for the prize.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.