Participate in the October 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a CUSTOM Kanile’a!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2019 Member Challenge – WIN a CUSTOM Kanile’a!

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 303 total)
  • Author
    andrewvh
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I’ve run out of time, so here’s my second attempt. Thanks for the support and the comments on my previous video. I did try and slow it down but I’m still making the same mistakes and I sped up on the second half.

holly1

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

So glad I’m not the only one who waited until the last day to submit my video. It’s not perfect, but hey, I’m only human… or am I? Lol. ~ HOLLY

Andrew
    Keymaster

@willymac – My pleasure!

Ohh, Arrpegio strumming is the topic for tomorrow’s new lesson. It won’t be on the November Challenge.

Check out our eBook course on songwriting. It coves all 3 parts of music (harmony, melody, rhythm) and breaks each down in separate detail using an example piece.

surfnrz

Thanks for the great feedback Andrew! Happy Halloween everyone! Can’t wait until next month!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@andrewvh – have you tried playing with a metronome? Or the on-screen tab viewer?

surfnrz

@holly1 Great performance! LOVED your costume!!! Brilliant!

turkgoose
    Participant

@stephen
    Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement. I’m so thankful for rockclass101, I have learnt so much from all of you!

stinyuke

Hi everyone

A very last minute submission. The reason why i’m submitting so late is that I was waiting for my new ukulele to arrive. It is a birthday present from my boyfriend to my 30iest birthday. As I wanted a low G on it I waited for it to arrive so could present the song on the new one instead on my old soprano.

I loved to learn the song. You can put a lot of emotion it which I tried to do during my playing.

Thanks for watching and I appreciate any comment 🙂

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh and btw: now I’m a member of Rockclass101 for 1 year. When i look back what I was able to play 1 year ago and what I’ve learnd in that time I just feel very grateful and happy that I found Rockclass 101. I wouldn’t be where I am now without Andrew and all the teachers. Thank you!

Happy Halloween

yukalele
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here’s my submission for Sound of Silence. My wife was begging for some silence after the last week of practice – you’ll see why when you listen!

Andrew, this is a great site and you are the world’s best teacher (anything to win….)

David

Stephen

Here’s everyone on page 16:

marni11 – Awesome job on this one! There were very few hesitations, and with a slightly slower tempo, I don’t think those would have even been there! My only concern is your right wrist and the angle it’s bent at. Try holding the ukulele at a slightly different angle to be able to straighten that wrist out a bit. Look at the beginner course module 2: how to hold the ukulele on this site. You are doing very well, keep it up! Thank you for your entry!

gaevdl – You are off to a great start! Try looping measures that give you trouble, and just play them over and over to get the chord transitions smooth. Do this on measures 22-23 and 24-26. Then instead of worrying about these sections, they will become your comfort zone. Keep up the great work! Thank you for joining the challenge!

kellyblackburn – Excellent! You’re playing this one very fast! Every now and then you are hesitating on chord changes (in sections like measure 22-23), and I think just playing at 3/4 of your current speed, you would be able to to keep a consistent tempo. However, it still sounds wonderful how you are playing it currently! Thank you for your entry, and for being a long time member of the site!

mac1984 – Your timing is incredible! I like that you never sacrificed the tempo for any chords or notes, and only slowed down intentionally for the ending. That’s one of the hardest skills but best practices you can have! While there were a few mistakes, most were just due to some chord transitions taking you a bit more time than the tempo allowed. I would recommend practicing at a slightly slower tempo until you have it consistently before playing at this speed. Wonderful job, and thank you for entering the challenge!

jonathan_gabel – Overall this was great! Your timing is 99% percent spot on, with just a slightly different rhythm at measure 31. The second note in that measure should start on the up beat after beat one instead of on the down beat on beat 2. Aside from this and a few small mistakes that seem like simple errors, not truly sections to work super hard on, there’s only one technique related thing: your plucking hand wrist has slightly more of an angle than necessary, and it seems like you’re fingers are plucking a little harder than they need to. Try holding the ukulele at a little bit more of an angle (45 degree if possible), to help straighten that wrist. Great job again, and thank you for joining this challenge!

lisotta – You are doing a great job! I think this one was a bit challenging because of all chord transitions! I recommend going through and just practicing transitioning the chord shapes from measure to measure and not worrying about the plucking the melody at the moment. Use the chord diagrams above the tab for this, and just practice shifting from one to the next. If a particular transition is harder than the others, just practice switching between the chord that’s hard to get to in time from the one immediately before it. Practice just those two chords until you can get the transition comfortably. This way you will build muscle memory for the chord shapes and not have to think as hard while performing the piece. Keep up the good work! Thank you for your entry!

cyberloh – Nicely done! On the strumming section, you play it with the correct rhythm at 0:53, but then you add an extra strum each time that pattern comes around again. If this is intentional, it works and it sounds cool, but I just want to make sure you know that it’s an addition. Also, rhythmically: in measure 31, the second note happens on the upbeat after beat one, rather than on the downbeat of beat 2. All in all, you are well on your way! Great work, and thank you for taking part in the challenge!

isabelm – I love the costume and the fact that you have a Toto to go with it! On measures 22 through 29, I would work on all of the chord transitions like I recommended to lisotta (2 entries above). This way you aren’t having to think about the melody and the chords at the same time as you develop the muscle memory of the chord shapes. Thank you for re-submitting your entry, it turned out great!

oldan_ – You are doing a wonderful job, especially on the melody and fingerpicking sections. This is excellent for you first video submission! The only thing holding you back is those chord transitions. Each time there’s a tricky transition, isolate the measure before and after the chord change, and practice getting just those measures up to the speed you would like to play the song at. Measures 22 through 29 are a great place to work on in this manner. Excellent job, keep up the great work! Thank you for your entry!

Andrew
    Keymaster

holly1 – I love your costume! And bonus points for being able to play in that LOL. I thought your performance was great. You’ve got a great touch, meaning the tone you produce is sweet. Honestly the only thing I can suggest is to focus on the parts where fluidity stopped. Other than that, keep up the great work!

stinyuke – I didn’t realize it had been a year, your progress has been truly amazing! If you go back and watch the video where you’re outside, on that mountain top, to where you are now, wow!

I think you hit all of the key points of this arrangement: rubato, picado technique, sustaining notes, etc. But the thing I would focus your practice on is implementing more accenting and dynamics. Check out this video I made a couple days ago for another member. It’s got some great suggestions on how to do this. See what you can do with it 🙂

yukalele – Here’s my feedback for you. 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

FRIENDLY REMINDER. Submission deadline is tonight at 11:59 PM EST. (check your local time zone)

lisamcc
    Participant

I am a premium member

Sorry, this is not great…I kept having memory lapses amongst other things! Frantic month. Next month hopefully will be better. Happy Halloween all.

mweir1
    Participant

It’s been a while since I last did one of these challenges! Hoping to get more consistent doing them now.

Here’s the Sound of Silence, which was a lovely piece to learn, and I’ve still got much to work on with it.

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

joe150
    Participant

I am a premium member

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by joe150.
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 303 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.