Participate in the October 2021 Member Challenge – WIN $2,100 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2021 Member Challenge – WIN $2,100 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 252 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 14.

dividedsky – Beautifully played! A Melody sounds great, so I’d focus on smoothing out the B Melody. One tip, switch to the ring finger for G5 in bar 39. That’ll make the transition to the chord in measure 41 much easier.

noahchen – Well done! One thing I’d work on is increasing sustain. Check out this video that I made for another member this month. It’s got some tips on how to do that for this song.

beauke – Excellent job! So I made this video for another member this month which gave some tips on keeping the swing feel intact when doing the pull-off licks. Which are really challenging in this song!

Check it out and give the exercise a shot 🙂

jnjmalos – Beautifully played! Best advice I can give is to keep doing what you’re doing because it’s working 🙂

But I do have 1 tip: I’d use the fingerings that I recommend for some of those tricky chords, like the ones in bars 41 & 42. It’ll make those sections much easier to play.

richard_siegert – Wonderful played! If I have to nitpick, I’d say keep working on smoothing out the timing in theme 2 (bars 9-16). But overall, it was extremely well played. Keep up the great work!

artcrocker – Great job! So with this song we want to use a swing feel throughout. Take a moment to check out this lesson. It’ll explain the difference between playing with a straight versus a swung feel.

Keep working on the ending. Some of the phrases are a bit rushed. Try playing along with Matt in the tab player. His playing will act as a guide to help keep you locked in-time.

rufio0 – Playing sounds great, Ilija! So the thing that I’d work on its timing/rhythm. Try to count as you play, like I show in the video below. That should add a lot of clarity to the rhythms that you are playing.

P.S. I’m playing the first four bars a little different b/c I don’t have my high G atm.

mac1984 – Playing was great! Great pace and feel throughout. You did seem a little bit nervous, maybe?

One tip: Try not to bend the ring finger at the first joint – like you do at 15 seconds, and a few other times throughout. We always want to keep a nice curve to aid with fretting.

mfaske – Playing sounds great! So it sounds like you intentionally wanted to play it with a straight feel. Which is totally cool! But if you need a recap on the difference between straight vs. swung, check out this lesson.

flenji – Excellent playing, Hannes! Keep doing what you’re doing, sounds great! Hope you join us for more challenges 🙂

This was a really good take, Andrew! Sounds like you put in a lot of work 🙂

andrewvh – Timing was excellent, but I think if you the slow tempo down a little bit you can focus on adding more sustain throughout. Check out the video I left above for @noahchen. It’s got some tips for increasing sustain in this song.

kean811

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi, I’m new here. I just discovered the site about 2 weeks ago, it’s a very cool resource. Here’s my submission of Moon River.

Edit: checked the rules about posting the “premium member” text

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by kean811.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by kean811.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Andrew.
    terryfallon3
    Participant

Hi Andrew. thanks for the sustain tips. I’ve absorbed and will put into practice. Along with your other suggestions to improve playing beyond just fingerings and strums and ones I would get from a good in-person instructor – which is what makes RockClass so musically valuable. Not to mention really great fun.

t

gonzo-fett
    Participant

Sorry I think I may have broken the thread. Might have reposted my post twice with a broken link.
    Then I re-read instructions, did a face palm and correctly posted my video. Sorry for the brain fart over here.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by gonzo-fett.
    gonzo-fett
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here’s my 1st submission for this awesome challenge. It’s not perfect (those only happen when the camera is off 😄) but I will keep at it.

Thank you again, Andrew for finding and claiming this little corner in the World Wide Web for all of us Uke-aholics. Your a great instructor and showcase some kickass guest instructors.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN 🎃

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by gonzo-fett.
    gonzo-fett
    Participant

Here’s another take of it with a different Uke with soft tension strings. My cat, Jessie was obviously wondering why I was petting this noisy thing instead of her.

addilein
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

I decided last minute to participate so I didn’t memorize the whole song. But I had fun anyway.

marianne
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi everyone,

Lovely performances! I had to learn Moon Waltz not only because it would be my first tune on the gorgeous baritone (yay), but also because it’s a beautiful and relaxing melody. Thank you @Andrew!
    Going from a soprano to a baritone was quite the challenge in terms of getting used to the shift in distances/neck length as well as the ergonomics of holding the instrument, but so worth it!

Marianne

Andrew
    Keymaster

@kean811 – Beautifully played! And I really like how you played through that measure that had a couple wrong notes. This is a great example of playing through mistakes, because the truth is… mistakes happen. Nobody plays perfect all the time. It’s always best to play through any mistake(s) when we’re doing a performance, instead of stopping or restarting.

@gonzo-fett
    – Thank you for the kind words! Your performance was elegant and absolutely gorgeous. Well done!

Also, I’m sorry you had trouble posting. Sometimes things get stuck in spam.

@addilein
    – That rocked! It was fun to watch 🙂

@marianne
    – Wow that uke sounds amazing! Beautiful performance, Marianne 🙂

santai
    Participant

Wow, I was BLOWN AWAY by the colab submission of @nthibode and @brettboy! Really, really great stuff!

I chose the same song for this challenge – but much too little time to practice shows in my recording. Still: I got it submitted, which is the goal I set for myself. Lots of lots of flaws – especially from the second chorus onwards. Singing and playing the ukulele while getting more and more nervous about messing up (and actually doing just that) – overload! XD
    I’ll definitely keep practicing this song.

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by santai.
    ukealori
    Participant

I am a PREMIUM MEMBER

Thank you for having beginner pieces included in your challenges. As an older learner, I still found this to be difficult – a challenge to be sure 😊 and needed all month to even get it this far.

Still working on:
    clean clear tone on each note or chord
    even timing
    memorizing any song… this skill still eludes me
    video record button stage fright, why? just why? lol

marianne
    Participant

Thanks @Andrew! 🙂

maryjanew
    Participant

I am a Premium Member.

Again, posting on the last day! I’ve been so busy and I really need lots more time with this song. I will keep working on it!
    I’ve had to use a couple alternate chord shapes due to the fact my fingers would not cooperate with the stretch and crunch to make those chords up the neck.

I chose Moondance because I LOVE love LOVE this song!
    Here is my “unrefined” cover of the song:

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by maryjanew.
    uku241
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

New member here – I really enjoyed working on this challenge and this song. I had fun figuring out how to make sure the melody still worked with the low G.

Thank you!

Brian

lisamcc
    Participant

I am a premium member.
    Hey all.. Sorry this isn’t perfect.. It was my best take of many… I keep messing up on that chorus bit. Hope you are all well. Xxx

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by lisamcc.
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 252 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.