September 30, 2021 at 3:24 pm #48430
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #55! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an AMAZING Kanile’a K-2 Ukulele! This tenor sized model is crafted with premium Koa wood and retails for $2,134 USD.
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 2,600+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 RC101 Lessons:
1) “Moon Waltz” * – A beautiful, Hawaiian inspired waltz that’s played entirely with two fingers.
Note: This lesson is for baritone ukulele, but can be played on Low G.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
2) “Moon River” * – A playful take on a timeless melody.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
3) “Blue Moon” * – A playful take on a timeless ballad.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
4) “Moondance” – Learn to strum, sing, and play a jazz-influenced solo on this classic tune by Van Morrison.
Note: You can choose either ukulele part. If you choose the rhythm part, you MUST sing and play. If you choose the solo part, you MUST perform to the backing track. The backing track is downloadable with premium membership.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Don’t worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “Moon Waltz”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Moon River”, “Blue Moon”, OR “Moondance”
3. Participation Goal: 100 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 RC101 pieces anytime between Friday, October 1st till Sunday, October 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports file sizes up to 5 MB. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 3 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our October Challenge: Moon Songs!
Second Chance: Participate in our November Challenge.
Third Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries. On Christmas Eve (December 24th at 12 PM EST), I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele!
To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 3 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize.
You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of October and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
1) $2,134 Grand Prize! Includes:
OUR 6 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!
K-2 Tenor Ukulele
Premium Curly Koa Body
Solid Mahogany Neck Thin Black/White/Black Rosette Black Front Binding
Ebony Fingerboard, Bridge, and Head Plate
Standard Kanile`a Crown Headstock
Kanile`a Open Geared Tuners
Ebony Bridge Pins
NuBone Nut and Saddle
Pāua (Abalone) Position Markers and Logo
Other Features: Includes a semi-rigid case by Music Area
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!September 30, 2021 at 4:29 pm #48433amaddiParticipant
Hi! I have a low g ukulele right now. I was interested in doing Blue Moon or Moon River. Are either songs better suited for low g/ don’t use the g string that much?September 30, 2021 at 4:34 pm #48434
Sections in both of those songs will sound off with a low G. I’d recommend playing one of the other 2 songs. “Moondance” is for low G and “Moon Waltz” sounds great on low G too 🙂September 30, 2021 at 4:40 pm #48435amaddiParticipant
Thank you! I’ll probably do Moon Waltz for this challenge then and learn Blue Moon in preparation for when I switch back to high G haha.September 30, 2021 at 5:03 pm #48436ldarrowParticipant
nice theme for october. I saw hints that the theme would be Moon and was hoping ‘Fly me to the Moon’ would be one of the choices as I have had my eye on that one to learn. These choices are great though, I may just have to learn two Moon themed songs. one of these for the challenge and ‘Fly me to the Moon’ just because.. Going to be a good month I think.September 30, 2021 at 9:42 pm #48438isabelmParticipant
Does anyone want to collaborate on Moondance? I’ve been learning the rhythm part and can edit both of our videos together. Email me at [email protected]September 30, 2021 at 10:38 pm #48440gstriphParticipant
If you were going to play moon waltz with a low G ukulele … do you just play the tab even though the chords, key, and notes reflect DGBE tuning? Do you need to transpose (or is there a separate tab)?
JerrySeptember 30, 2021 at 11:50 pm #48443
Jerry, you can just read the tab 🙂
You can also follow along with the lesson if you need help in any section.October 1, 2021 at 9:55 am #48446johanna2509Participant
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I learned Moon River right after it came out, it is such a beautiful timeless song.
And I love Matt’s all thumb arrangements, so I was really excited to start practicing!
(Unfortunately the sound is a bit low, but when I turn it up afterwards, the noise gets louder too…)October 1, 2021 at 10:07 am #48447hollusParticipant
it is said on this page that “Moon Waltz” is “taught in its entirety for FREE!”, but I only seem to access “Part 1”, “Part 2” being only for premium members, which I’m not.
So how can I learn the entierty of this song?October 1, 2021 at 10:30 am #48448rickeymikeParticipant
Well done Johanna. I could hear all notes with my volume turned up.October 1, 2021 at 11:59 am #48450October 1, 2021 at 10:51 pm #48454kpurdyParticipant
Hi there. I’m a beginner and just joined premium. I was excited to learn Moon Waltz since it says good for low G. Are there TABs for low G or any instruction? I think it might be above my level to adapt it.October 2, 2021 at 12:27 am #48455
@kpurdy – You can play baritone arrangements on low G without needing to adapt (transpose) anything. The only difference is that you’ll be playing in a different key.
You can also follow along with the lesson if you need help in any section 🙂October 2, 2021 at 5:43 am #48457raysantanParticipant
Do I need to adapt the MoonWaltz lower for ukuleles that are not tuned DGBE? If so can you post a tutorial?
I am a premium member so do I get a tablature that is for the normal GCEA? (I have Low g tuning).
Thanks and Regards,
- This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by raysantan.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.