Participate in the October 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 194 total)
  • Author
    katazumiri
    Participant

Also, I wanted to add a bass part. This time I allowed myself to play along with Steven. And here’s what I got.

Have a nice day!

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

joannetala

I’M A PREMIUM MEMBER

I love the Campanella song but figured Haunted Uke is great to practice my timing skills, which is always good to work on. So I picked that one.

johanna2509
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi hi, I chose the Stranger Things Theme (even if I don’t watch any series haha, but I like the sound of it).
    I can absolutely understand the struggle with the right hand some people here had and I also didn’t expect the song to be that hard regarding the right hand actually.
    Bar 8 was the most difficult for me; that little variation in the picking pattern really messed with my brain.
    While recording, I just trusted my fingers to hopefully do the right thing 😀
    I practiced with the fade out at the end, but in the recording, I couldn’t do it, I am glad that all the notes in general are right.

jedart
    Participant

Premium Member.

Here is my best take, so far, of the Stranger Things theme. A couple pull offs didn’t sound out, and I lost my place once, but I wanted to get uploaded this weekend. I can play the motif faster, but I had to slow down for the variations.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@kidelozzi – Bravo Steve! You nailed the spooky vibes and I was really impressed with your timing throughout all four pieces. Hard work pays off and this performance shows that 🙂

@leb397
    – I thought this was one of the best performances I’ve heard from you, Louisa! You did a great job relaying the eerie vibe of this composition. Keep up the great work!

@madz_about_uke
    – That was a great performance! It’s definitely a challenging piece for what the right hand has to do. Keep keep working on building speed and try not to rush the chord plucks that happen before the motif ends the piece.

@katazumiri
    – Brilliant performance and I really enjoyed listening to your bass accompaniment. I will send it to Steven to listen to 🙂

My only advice for the uke is to memorize the piece. That way you can focus entirely on the performance.

@joannetala
    – Great performance! Well done on the timing. And very good job on the mix. Audio quality was superb!

@johanna2509
    – Great playing, Johanna! The right hand is definitely tricky with this piece. Loop the tricky bars at a slower tempo to help build muscle memory in the right hand.

@jedart
    – Great playing, Jed! Try playing along with me in the tab player. Sometimes playing along with a guide gives you the push to connect sections/transitions. In other words, it forces you to move faster, especially with the jumps in this piece. Start slow then work on building speed 🙂

mark1256
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Stranger Things. I chose this because my finger picking is relatively slow and I wanted a chance to improve it. I thing this worked. I’m almost up to tempo.

katazumiri
    Participant

Thank you @Andrew 🙂

I totally agree with you that it makes sense to learn by heart.
    At the same time, I feel me like a squirrel from the “ice Age”, which was chasing an acorn.

I know musicians who are good at reading music. Unfortunately, it’s not me.
    I know musicians who memorize the harmonic structure of a piece well, they play a little differently every time, not like it is written in the notes, and yet what they play sounds good. Unfortunately, it’s not me.
    Most students of music schools cope with learning by heart “the way it should be” … I am doing my best. It doesn’t always work out.

It’s funny. If I get to play with those who are good at reading music, they suggest not to bother with memorization and clearly follow what is written.
    And with those who feel harmony well, it’s also not boring, they sometimes change harmony and think that it is obvious to everyone 🙂

leb397
    Participant

@Andrew Thank you for the positive complimentary words. As hard as it is for me to learn a song, I’m happy with any progress. BTW the most difficult part(or one of) in Stranger Things was the intro – I’m left handed and making my wrist move fast up fret board was hard! lol.

Last – without the ability to loop the playback lesson and adjust the speed, I’d be lost. It’s the best part of learning a new song!

Great entries everyone! Some so fun and creative – kudos @brettboy
    Louisa

lhamilton
    Participant

Hi,

This month I tried Lacrimosa. I loved the arrangement.

I fell in love with the electric ukuleles that were part of the challenge a couple of months ago and managed to find one in a Canadian music store, so I decided to try it out for this piece. I really enjoy playing it.

Linda
    I am a premium member

mark65536
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi everyone, great to see all your entries for this month.

I’ve had a mournful time learning Lacrimosa… another great arrangement and lesson, thanks!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by mark65536.
    johanna2509
    Participant

Thanks @Andrew! I should have used the tab viewer more with that song

Andrew
    Keymaster

@mark1256 – Awesome job on the tempo, Mark! Playing sounds great overall. I do want to hear more connection with the pull-off note on the A string. I hear the first of the 2 notes clearly, but not enough of the second. Practice a little slower and focus on getting that note to ring at the same volume as the first.

@lhamilton
    – I love it! It sounds so cool on electric w/ delay. And of course, the great playing on your part 🙂

@mark65536
    – Great dynamics in the build up! Another stellar performance, Mark! Bravo 👏

@katazumiri
    – I always found classical the hardest to memorize. Sometimes I read as I played, like in Canon. Other times I played from memory.

But I understand there are folks who only read vs those who only play. For me, I prefer to fall somewhere in the middle 🙂

lhamilton
    Participant

Wow! Thanks Andrew! I really love playing this instrument. I’m using an iRig to connect it to the iPad GarageBand as the preamp and then to my little Pignose amp set beside the recording iPad so it would pick up the sound more easily. I’ll keep working on the piece to smooth out the small hesitations.

Linda

mark1256
    Participant

Thanks @Andrew. I guess I was more concerned with achieving tempo than clarity. I’ll keep at it.

joannetala

Thank you for your kind words, @Andrew! I used a Rocksmith cable to hook up to my computer and recorded it in Garageband.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 194 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.