Participate in the October 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the October 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 194 total)
  • Author
    didyyh_guitar
    Participant

Hi everyone! Greetings from Spain. This is my first participation.I’m playing the Campanella fingerpicking etude no.31. I hope you like it as much as I liked playing this beautiful study. Postscript: the background noise is the dishes in the kitchen, sorry. I love the ukulele sound, and this is my video:

rafaela
    Participant

@Andrew Thank you so much for your feedback and also the video link! It’s strange how – at least for me – playing triplets slowly is so much more difficult than playing them a bit faster, so I’ll definitely work on them with the tab player 🙂

jebergeron
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is my take on Lacrimosa. I do not have more time to practice as I have a big exam coming at end of month! My fluidity is not top yet, will get back to it after exam. It was very nice to be able to play the Mozart requiem on uke.

Also great performance so far from all who participated this month.

JP

Andrew
    Keymaster

@didyyh_guitar – Beautiful performance. Great feel throughout!

@jebergeron
    – Great performance JP! I really liked the dynamics in the build up, but try to gradually increase the tempo throughout the run instead of at the start. I think that will create a bigger emotional impact.

misterbones
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Back in the day when I started getting into classical music and became a symphony orchestra season subscriber for the first time, Mozart’s requiem was one of the very first works I got to listen to live, during my first season as a subscriber. Besides being deeply moved of course, what I remember from that night is that the name of the conductor was Bernard Labadie, and that he conducted the whole thing from memory, without a score in front of him. I found that quite impressive at that time, and even more impressive now when I try to memorize a piece of two minutes for one voice, as opposed to 60 minutes for a few dozen voices. Reminds me of the quote “you should have the music in the head, not the head in the music”, though I can’t remember for the life of me where I got that from.
    I agree with Andrew’s recommendation to watch the Mozart movie, it’s brillant. The other classical music themed movie I’d highly recommend to watch is “The Concert” by Radu Mihaileanu. It’s bascially the classical orchestra version of the Blues Brothers. Both heartrending and hilarious. It evolves around the Tchaikovsky violin concerto, one of my all time favorites and the one piece of music that infallibly gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it. Maybe we can get a piece of that arranged for solo Ukulele as well sometime?
    Anyway, enough rambling, here’s my Lacrimosa.

suekulele
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER.

Andrew, this could be a duplicate post as I thought I had posted it yesterday. But after several times refreshing the page, I don’t see it.

This is my best attempt at Stranger Things. I wanted to capture the moodiness of the song so took advantage of a cloudy morning at this lake we were visiting. I practiced this one so much, my middle and ring finger knuckles blistered!

ldarrow
    Participant

Wow! Everyone sounds so wonderful. I think the @andrew written spooky melodies are so fun for Halloween season. Thus, I have chosen 4 spooky melodies. Thought I was coming along really well, but actually watched the lesson today. From the lesson I learned that I should be using alternating middle and pointer finger for triplet and picatto. So having to take a step back and work on these. Sometimes it is not just about playing a song, but also learning a particular technique. Hope I am able to ‘undo’ what I’ve been doing (single finger picking) and add proper technique in time to post this month.

Andrew
    Keymaster

@misterbones – Brilliant performance! It’s always a bit surreal to go from being a listener to a performer of the piece. I’ll have to check out that movie you recommended. You had me sold at blues bros meets classical loL!

Can you add that song request here?

@suekulele
    – Were you searching for Eddie? 😂

I loved it! The backdrop was icing on the cake. Great performance! As you continue to practice, focus on keeping it steady.

brettboy
    Participant

Hi Uke Lovers! I really enjoyed learning “4 Spooky Melodies” last year and I really really really like doing it again this year with 4 More Spooky Melodies! Here’s my entry:

Andrew
    Keymaster

@brettboy – I loved it and all the clips especially the ending! 👻

brettboy
    Participant

Thanks Teach ! ! ! Happy Halloween!

kidelozzi
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is my submission of 4 More Spooky Melodies. This was a fun and (surprisingly) challenging piece to learn. I found myself having to spend quite a bit of time practicing the sixteenth note run in The Pharaoh’s Tomb, in particular, before I could play it to even a passable level. Thanks very much to @andrew for the wonderful composition. Happy Halloween!

leb397
    Participant

I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER

Enjoying all the entries this month.
    Again, another struggle getting through Stranger Things. Kept getting “yips” as my husband would call them, when trying to keep a steady picking rhythm. Played with @Andrew track so many times…
    I relate to so many of the comments – sore fingers, over 50 video takes, I have run out of time this month. One improvement… I can’t hear my nails hitting 😎 THANKS @Andrew

madz_about_uke
    Participant

I am a Premium Member
    I am enjoying watching all the entries.
    Here’s my entry for the month of October

Still in the process of building up speed. Figured I won’t edit the audio fading out and just play it. I actually thought this arrangement is the easiest among others. I was SO wrong 😅. It took me some time to get used to the picking pattern. Then variations keep throwing me off my rhythm. It was quite a fun challenge.

katazumiri
    Participant

Hello everyone!

Here is my attempt with “Lacrimosa”.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 194 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.