Home Page › Forums › Monthly Member Challenges › Participate in the October 2022 Member Challenge – WIN $6,000 Kanile’a
Tagged: 2022 fall challenge
- This topic has 193 replies, 97 voices, and was last updated 4 months, 1 week ago by mueleski.
September 29, 2022 at 3:11 pm #53862
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with a VERY SPECIAL site member challenge #67! We’re teaming up with Kanile’a ‘Ukulele and Uke Republic to give away an INCREDIBLE Kanile’a 2021 Platinum Ukulele! This tenor sized model is crafted with Master Grade Koa wood and retails for $6,000 USD.
I am beyond humbled to say that there has now been over 3,500+ members participating in our challenges! AMAZING! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. And I offer feedback on ALL submissions! 🙂
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 6 RC101 Lessons:
1) “4 Spooky Melodies” by Rock Class 101 – Learn 4 spooky sounding melodies for low G ukulele.
Note: Requires Low G ukulele.
2) “4 More Spooky Melodies” by Rock Class 101 – Learn 4 spooky sounding melodies for low G ukulele.
Note: Requires Low G ukulele.
3) “Fingerpicking Etude no. 31” by Rock Class 101 * – This fingerpicking etude will introduce you to a playing style known as Campanella.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
4) “Lacrimosa” by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart * – Learn an excerpt of “Lacrimosa” from Mozart’s Requiem.
Note: Requires Low G ukulele.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
5) Stranger Things Theme – An 80’s inspired synth theme with a hint of Halloween.
6) “Haunted Uke” by Rock Class 101 – In this piano and ukulele duet, you’ll learn a haunting melody that’s played alongside a rich, harmonic backdrop.
Note: If you choose this song, you MUST perform to the backing track. The backing track requires premium membership to download it.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Seasoned Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Don’t worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “Haunted Uke”
2. Intermediate Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Don’t worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race 🙂
Recommended Piece: “4 Spooky Melodies”, “4 More Spooky Melodies”, OR Stranger Things Theme
3. Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Piece: “Fingerpicking Etude no. 31” OR “Lacrimosa”
4. Participation Goal: 100 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 6 RC101 pieces anytime between Saturday, October 1st till Monday, October 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site does not support audio or video. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD (as this ukulele is very expensive, shipping costs may exceed this amount. It will be shipped insured). This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 6 chances for you to win this ukulele:
First Chance: Participate in our April Challenge: Classical Songs!
Second Chance: Participate in our May Challenge: Beatles Songs!
Third Chance: Participate in our June Challenge: A Night at the Opera!
Fourth Chance: Participate in our October Challenge: Halloween Themed!
Fifth Chance: Participate in our November Challenge.
Sixth Chance: Participate in our December Challenge.
Basic (free) members will receive 1 entry for each month they participate in, while Premium members will receive 2 entries.
On July 4th at 12pm EST, I went live on our YouTube channel to pick 1 member by random drawing that was AWARDED 10 EXTRA ENTRIES. The lucky winner was @brettboy. This event marked the end of our Spring Challenges (April, May, June).
We took a break for July, August, and September. But now we’re back and you’ll have 3 more chances to win in our Fall Challenges (October, November, December).
On Christmas Eve (December 24th at 12 PM EST), I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel, picking 1 member by random drawing that will WIN this AMAZING Kanile’a Ukulele!
To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
Basic members can earn up to 6 entries for the prize.
Premium members can earn up to 12 entries for the prize.
You must have an “active” premium membership at the time you submit your performance. Active membership means that your membership HAS NOT expired. This does not mean that you cannot cancel auto re-bills. If you sign up for monthly membership (valid for 30 days) on the 15th of October and cancel your membership the same day, then submit your performance on the 16th (the next day), you are still considered an “active” premium member. The same concept applies for annual membership or gift card membership (3 or 6 month membership).
YOU MUST WRITE “I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER” ON YOUR PERFORMANCE SUBMITTAL POST. Please write this phrase in its own line. For example:
I AM A PREMIUM MEMBER
I will only award 2 entries to premium members that write this line. It would be too time consuming to check if everyone who submits is a premium member. If you do not write this, you WILL NOT receive 2 entries.
PRIZE COLLECTION & PAST WINNERS: The winner of this year’s Kanile’a will have until March 1st, 2023 to claim and collect their prize. If they do not, another winner will be selected by random drawing on March 2nd, 2023. Previous Kanile’a winners are more than welcome to participate, but will not receive an entry for the prize.
1) $6,000 Grand Prize! Includes:
A) 2021 Kanile’a Platinum Model Ukulele (Includes: a hard case by Stagg)
OUR 6 PREVIOUS KANILE’A WINNERS! WILL YOU BE NEXT?
LISTEN TO THIS SWEET UKE BEING PLAYED!
LEARN MORE ABOUT HOW THIS UKULELE WAS CRAFTED
Kanile’a Original, TRU-Relief Tenor Body
Master Grade Front, Back, and Sides
TRU Bracing V3 Mass Reduction Interior
Magnetic Back Access Panel
Ebony Radiused Fingerboard, Ebony Bridge, and Ebony Head Plate
Platinum Crown Slotted Headstock
Gotoh Stealth Gold Tuners with Kanile’a Knobs
Ebony Bridge Pins
NuBone Nut and Saddle
Gloss Body, Silk Neck Finish
Ebony Side Position Markers
Curly Koa Headplate Inlay
Curly Koa Leaf Position Markers Inlay on Fingerboard in Koa
Curly Koa Leaf Inlay on the Bridge
Koa Leaf Sound Hole with Curly Maple Trim
Koa Leaf Side Sound Port with Maple Trim
Curly Maple Front and Back Binding
Curly Maple Fretboard Binding
Curly Maple Head-Stock Binding
Curly Maple Back Strip
Curly Maple Tail Strip
Curly Maple Bevel
Curly Maple Heel Cap
Worth Clear Strings with Wound Low G
Other Features: Includes a hard case by Stagg
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS!
Uke Republic: http://www.ukerepublic.com/
AND A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU! Let’s crush this challenge!September 29, 2022 at 5:18 pm #53865dermangoParticipant
Hi. I was wondering this part “4. Participation Goal: 100 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.” I haven´t posted any videos or mp3´s so am I out of this challence automatically?September 29, 2022 at 6:26 pm #53866
@dermango – That’s our participation goal. To have 100 members participate this month. Everyone is welcome to participate, regardless of if this is you first challenge or 50th 🙂September 29, 2022 at 6:54 pm #53867
I’m so excited for this, man! So many great song options, but I’m especially excited for Lacrimosa. That could be a useful song to have “on hand” for every day life. 😅September 29, 2022 at 7:32 pm #53868june2020Participant
Would it be possible for you to share the piano score portion of the duet for the Haunted Uke tune?
JuneSeptember 29, 2022 at 7:56 pm #53870
Unfortunately, AJ’s out of the country until late October so we wouldn’t be able to. If you jump to 39:40 in the lesson, I covered how to voice the chords on ukulele to turn it into a ukulele only duet. Hopefully that gives you some ideas on how to voice the chords on piano 🙂September 30, 2022 at 2:54 pm #53881riffykParticipant
Ok, so ya say I can just record myself on my phone, but then how do I get it to you? I have never done anything like that before.September 30, 2022 at 3:01 pm #53883
@riffyk – Please scroll up to the first post and see: GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION. It answers those questions 🙂September 30, 2022 at 4:09 pm #53886biancakParticipant
Ah, I’m already in love with the Lacrimosa arrangement. Couldn’t imagine it on uke but sounds so great 🤩September 30, 2022 at 6:14 pm #53890
@biancak, same!! It’s actually better than expected which didn’t seem possible. That crescendo though… Good golly! I may never be able to do it justice, but I still want to try shredding those measures like an extra sharp cheddar. (Cancels weekend plans) 😉😅October 2, 2022 at 7:40 pm #53937jbmills07Participant
So I was TRYING to practice Lacrimosa but my cat had other plans, decided to turn the camera on and figure I would share lolOctober 2, 2022 at 8:38 pm #53938annemarieParticipant
Gotta love the kitties!October 2, 2022 at 9:52 pm #53939
LOLOctober 3, 2022 at 11:45 am #53955
@jbmills07, so wonderful! Cat-crimosa or maybe Lacri-meow-sa! (Mozart laugh) 😉😅
Also, did I get overwhelmed with jealousy that you’re playing that better already with a cat on your shoulders? The answer is yes. 😉😅
Oh shoot, don’t be a Salieri…
I feel like @Andrew is a fan of that movie and will get those references. 😅
October 3, 2022 at 12:38 pm #53957jbmills07Participant
- This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by The_Bumble_Bard.
@The_Bumble_Bard hahaha! I love it! Amadeus was one of the very first movies I ever saw as a child! My grandfather was a giant Mozart fan, so he is my favorite as well 🙂 seen the movie more times than I can count!
And I know for sure there have been rockclass101 lessons that have said you should practice while distracted, so…. Doesn’t get more distracting than a cat climbing on your shoulders lol
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.