Participate in the September 2018 Member Challenge – Fingerpicking Themed!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the September 2018 Member Challenge – Fingerpicking Themed!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Yes, always happy to help!

gstriph
    Participant

Hi Andrew –

Would you explain the (Gadd9) at the beginning of Etude 13? I can see the 1st string/10th fret from the chord — but the 2nd string/3rd fret isn’t part of the chord and the other strings are wrong earlier. In contrast, the next Cmaj7 seems to make sense (at least at the start of the measure).

Are these just the chords someone might strum in a duet? In some other fingerpicking exercises (like Daniel Ward’s arpeggio mediations that I’ve been working on) the chords are where you are actually picking and I was wondering why this is different.

Thanks,
    Jerry

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Jerry, it’s a chord that works over the melody. But, as you pointed out the notes of the melody vary from that chord, so you could really play a few variations of G over it, or just the standard G.

marni11
    Participant

I would of entered the last challenge, I even worked on the song all month, and took the vidoe, but then our internet quit working. Today when we got it fixed it was of course to late to enter. Anyway, I’m planning on doing this months challenge! It looks like fun!

gstriph
    Participant

Thanks Andrew!

curlyuke
    Participant

I’ve just made it to the end of the video. That was a lot of counting but I find it really helpful, thank you!

lisadmh
    Participant

Here’s the first one. I’m trying to slow down and relax into it as last month Andrew encouraged me to play more laid back. But it seems I’ve got no groove. I’m always uptight. Not sure how to relax but I’ll keep trying!

Oh and no matter how many times I play I always mess up one random bar. It’s easy to find in this steady beat song.

Nice little tune.

lisadmh
    Participant

Despite the bum ending, I thought I’d share the other song as this is where I’m really at. Any tips on those hammer ons and pull offs? I’m trying but not improving. Thanks!

I love this song.

mheiden
    Participant

I think you did a great job Lisa on both! I am not ready with Shadow Land….the same part you are talking about….I can’t do it smoothly yet or with speed. The uke has helped me with patience!

Stephen

Great job, Lisa! On Shadowland, I would recommend practicing the hammer-on/pull off section much slower, and make sure you are getting the combo on the A-string with only one right hand pluck, then using only the left hand to get the other two notes. You might have to practice building up finger strength and get the muscle memory down by working on it super slowly. Andrew made a video reply to hafeez3115 (on this thread) where he breaks down this passage with some excellent advice as well. Thank you for playing my song 🙂

Stephen

The part about hammer ons starts about 2 minutes into the video.

lisadmh
    Participant

Thanks Stephen. I missed that video. I’m pretty new to not cheating on hammer on pull offs, so I’ll keep on plugging, nice and slow.

And thanks mheiden. Agreed, this is a lesson in patience! But much more fun than most lessons in patience I encounter.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by lisadmh.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Lovely playing on Etude #13, Lisa! Great work, it def sounds more relaxed. The only suggestion I have, is to lighten the attack of the right hand plucking. I think that may “sweeten” the tone. Give it a shot and see if you hear a difference.

brettboy
    Participant

Andrew and Stephen! Thanks for the great challenge. I had a blast learning Shadow Land. Here is my submission:

kanae926
    Participant

Wow, Brett! 😳

You’re rockin’ some major style! So awesome! 🔥🔥🔥

I can already see Andrew sharing that on the next newsletter or Facebook post. 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.