Participate in the September 2018 Member Challenge – Fingerpicking Themed!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the September 2018 Member Challenge – Fingerpicking Themed!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    brettboy
    Participant

thank you Kanae! (My cheeks are red!)

lisadmh
    Participant

Daaaaaammm, nice job Brett. That’s the kind of groove I aspire to. Mine’s so straight by the book – the book is a fabulous song but I love the way you can add to it and make it your own.

lisadmh
    Participant

Brett, I’m now reworking mine with some new frills. Ant objection if I steal some of your new frills – if I can figure them out?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Heck ya I’m gonna share it! That was so fun to watch! I love the expression in your playing, Brett and the idea to speed it up, super cool!

lisadmh
    Participant

Andrew, I’m trying to lighten up on the strings as you suggest but even when I play in a whisper, not audible in the next room, the recording sounds loud and clunky. I think my microphone is super sensitive.

The bad side is my songs always sound clunky. The good side is that my hammer ons actually sound out, lol.

brettboy
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words lisadmh! I’d be honored to share any frill with you!

I’m enjoying watching, and listening to, all the submissions. You folks are all great.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Join the fun, you crazy hippi LOL!

I definitely will….once I get a bit better. The other members here are very inspiring. I can’t pick worth a darn, right now, but I am motivated to learn. 😊

kayleighb

Sorry if this such a newb question. Any tips on how to get your pull offs all at the same volume. E.g bar 11 of Etude 13. I tend to find the first is really quiet (3 to 2) then the second really loud (2-0). I feel like I’m using equal force on the strings but I’m clearly not?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi Kay, here is a video with some tips for you 🙂

kanae926
    Participant

I had this same issue…

What I discovered is that although my pull off from 3 to 2 sounded okay, I was too loud on the next pull off to the open string. I think the reason for this has to do with the fact that the string is still anchored on the second fret when pulling off on 3 but the open string is more free to ring out so you can’t use the same amount of force. I had to pull off softer to get a similar volume, otherwise I ended up making a loud “boing” sound. lol. I definitely needed to loop this section many times before it sounded more even.

I also noticed that a slight change in the angle of my fingers when they pull off made a huge difference. I was grabbing too much string before.

kayleighb

Thanks Andrew. Here is a little video I took to show what I mean. The 2nd pull off has that “boing” type sound.

My new strings are still settling in too so that isn’t helping as they go out of tune so quick 🤨

Andrew
    Keymaster

Thx for vid, kay! So the 2nd and 4th time, you can hear/see you are pulling off with less force; as such, it sound more even. I’d remove the other notes and just practice the 3 note pull-off with a focus on reducing the pull-off force off the last note.

mheiden
    Participant

Here is my submission for Etude #13. I had a fingering snag right before the ritardando…so it’s a little off. That hasn’t been my challenge area while practicing the song.
    I am still looking to learn Shadow Land yet this month. I really like both of these songs!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.