September 13, 2022 – Live Lesson: What Ukulele Can Do That Guitar Can’t

Home Page Forums Monthly Live Lessons September 13, 2022 – Live Lesson: What Ukulele Can Do That Guitar Can’t

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

Live Stream: Tuesday, September 13th at 3:00pm EST (check your local time zone)

Hey guys, we are back with Live Lesson EP046! This month’s topic is: What Ukulele Can Do That Guitar Can’t!

Some critics condemn the ukulele as an underdog instrument. But in recent years, it’s made a blazing comeback to reach new heights of popularity. In this session, you’ll find out what gives the mighty four-stringer an edge over its six-string cousin.

This month’s topic should stir up some great questions! So please post all you have below and I hope you guys join us for the live stream. 🙂

LIVE LESSONS FAQ:

Q: What happens in a live lesson, how long is it, and when does it occur?

A: Live lessons are usually 30-45 minutes in length, but can extend until all questions are answered. The first 20 minutes will comprise of the lesson, while the next 10-25 minutes will be a Q&A session for premium members.

Live lessons take place every second Tuesday of the month at 3:00pm EST (check your local time zone).

Q: Can I submit questions beforehand?

A: Absolutely! Basic and premium members are welcome to post questions that are related to the topic in THIS thread.

Q: Who can watch the live stream, how do I watch it, and how do I chat with Matt and other members?

A: Premium members will be able to tune in and watch the livestream. Premium members will also be able to chat live with Matt during the broadcast.

To watch the live stream, simply navigate to the Live Lessons Page. You will see a YouTube video embedded on the page (if you don’t see it, double check that you are logged in).

If you do not wish to participate in the live chat, you can stay on the page and watch the embedded video. If you do wish to participate in the live chat, you will need to sign up for a YouTube account (100% FREE).

To participate in the live chat, click on the embedded YouTube video’s title. This will open up a new tab and take you directly to the video on YouTube’s website. The live chat box can be found to the right of the video (on desktop). For mobile and tablet, the live chat is embedded inside the video and can be turned on or off.

For further clarification, here is a video showing how to do the above (for desktop).

Q: I can’t make the broadcast. When will live streams be released publicly?

A: The live lesson will be released for everyone to view the day after the broadcast (third Wednesday of the month). If you cannot make the broadcast, no worries; you’ll still be able to watch the lesson. Don’t forget that you can submit questions for Matt to answer beforehand (see the above FAQ).

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

I’m so excited for this topic!

I shan’t be able to attend the lesson live, but I do have questions! Probably too many. 🥺

* An elitist guitar player might point out the limited range of the uke compared to guitar. How do you address this without getting into a literal instrument sword fight?

* Does it ever make sense (if you really like a guitar arrangement) to try to “transpose” it to uke? Or is it always better to start from scratch and create a new arrangement of that song for uke?

* If a uke player and guitar player fall in love, how much would it be like West Side Story?

I really look forward to watching the lesson back later!

But also, sorry. 😅

surferjay
    Participant

True story: My daughter had a friend over and her mother came to pick her up. As she wondered in she sees my Uke and says ‘Oh wow who plays’… she then follows with ‘Ah I didn’t realise it was a kids guitar’.

Some people are not going to get it… More Ukes for us 😎😎😎

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by surferjay.
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Hahaha oh dear. Someone’s a little confused. 😂

Did you know there’s a thing called a guitarlele, though? Same size as a uke (I think) but it has six strings. Kinda neat!

robinboyd
    Participant

I like my guitalele. Here is a video of me playing it a few years ago. Sorry the sound is out of sync.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@robinboyd, that is really neat!! Well played!

For me the guitarlele seemed like a good idea because I like to play classical music and thought that would lend well to that, but I also do like the ukulele “sound” a lot. The one you have does seem pretty neat though! 🙂

surferjay
    Participant

@robinboyd very nice! I do fancy a guitarlele or a six string baratone (not sure if they are the same thing).. I even saw a Romero creations guitarlele with steel strings and guitar tuning which looked pretty cool.

Not sure the wife will be happy though as I’ve brought to much this year already..

robinboyd
    Participant

@surferjay – That’s definitely a lot of stuff

I see my guitalele as kind of a transition instrument between the ukulele and the guitar. I started on the uke, and still only play a little bit of guitar, but the guitalele helped me bridge the gap. It’s much more comfortable for me to carry and hold than a full-sized guitar.

My one is a little bit fancy, but I got it ultra cheap second-hand because it has a few cracks in it that don’t affect the sound or playability.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@surferjay, that’s quite a collection! Is the bigger one in the back a guitar? I kind of want to know what they all are. 😅

@robinboyd
    , I see what you mean, I think, how the guitarlele could maybe sort of bridge the gap between the uke and guitar. From what I remember, the guitarlele has four of the same strings as a uke plus two lower strings?

For me, there are certain songs I get obsessed with and I view the instruments I have (and the ones I want to get) through that filter. Obviously I’m also very intrigued / tempted by the novelty and cuteness of certain instruments and want to get all of them, which is why I don’t often window shop because I’d lose control. 😅😂

After this live lesson though, “confirmed” that I will at some point get a sopranissimo ukulele, maybe very soon, to go with the John King music book I bought. 😅😂😳🥺 I already was eyeing that size uke for its extra small ‘n’ cute factor but now I see there’s a real practical reason, that such great classical players have used it, including some from the site. So then maybe I won’t have to cry as much about struggling to stretch my hands to reach certain chords even on a soprano uke (like for a simple Chopin song I learned). I still will stretch those boundaries because that can be good but I feel like that’s a physical limitation that’s hard to get passed if your hands and/or fingers can’t stretch. Does anyone else here have that problem?

Like a stretch from fret 2 on the C string to fret 8 on the A string?

robinboyd
    Participant

Yes, the top 4 strings of a guitalele are the same as for a low g ukulele. The top 4 strings of a low G ukulele are also the same as a guitar relative to each other, just in a different key. The guitalele is the same as a guitar relative to each other, but in the same key as the ukulele. I hope that makes sense. I know it’s a bit tricky.

I’ve always been pretty good at stretch chords. I can do that stretch on my tenor.

june2020

Hi Andrew – is there a way to get notifications prior to the actual live stream for each of the monthly live sessions? I put it on my calendar, but I never seem to be able to attend the live session because I forget to tune in on time. It’d be great if we could get a reminder with a link.

surferjay
    Participant

@the_bumble_bard

I have a:

– Mahalo Rainbow 🌈 which mainly gets used to turn my air conditioning on and off 😂😂

– Kala KA-15 Soprano

– Kala KA-15 Concert

– Cordoba 24 TCE Tenor

– Flight Carabao Tenor

– Taylor Big Baby Guitar

I need a Guitarlele to bridge the gap between the Flight & Taylor I’ll get my requests into Santa 🎅🏻

Andrew
    Keymaster

Hi June, can you create an alert in your calendar on your phone that repeats monthly? We wouldn’t be able to create a notification within the live stream video as it’s an unlisted link.

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@june2020 I pretty much do exactly what Andrew just said to remember the live lesson: Put a reminder on my calendar with a time set with it.

@robinboyd
    , ha, that all makes sense, I think! Thank you for explaining that. I knew about some of those overlaps but that’s part of why I’m mainly focusing on the uke. I can only comprehend so much at a time. 😂 I feel like if I threw in the guitarlele it would require reprogramming my brain even more.

Sigh, stretch chords are a challenge for me. I noticed in the lesson that Matt, seemingly without batting an eye, stretched from fret 2 to 10. I’ll just have to get finger extensions. Then I could also use them for a Halloween costume, because that’s terrifying. 😂

@surferjay
    , that’s a pretty dang great collection! I have wanted a rainbow uke for a long time but could not justify it because the main reason I wanted it was, “ohhhh pretty rainbows!” 😅

Is one of the tenors you have an electric uke?

This is my collection:

– My orange Hola! Soprano uke. It’s the cheapest but still pretty much my favorite uke.

– A Donner banjolele

– A Luna concert uke that I got for Christmas last year

– The fight centurion tenor electric ukulele that I won here 🙂

– A child’s guitar that I bought for $15 from a thrift store because I didn’t realize what it was. 😅

I may get a sopranissimo uke as a Christmas present for myself at some point. My family would get it for me but I’m not sure I could take the joking sarcastic glances. 😉😅

robinboyd
    Participant

OK, here’s my collection (from small to big)

Mahalo soprano (bought for my wife to use at work)
    Luna Tattoo pineapple (waste of money, but it was our first uke)
    Mele Mango concert
    Kelly Stillfield custom boatpaddle concert
    Koa Pili Koko tenor
    Bruce Wei Arts guitalele
    Ibanez Artcore electric guitar
    Martinez lap steel guitar

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by robinboyd.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.