Participate in the January 2019 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2019 Member Challenge – You Decide What To Work On!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    zukulele

Execution: This month I’m going to practice adding a backbeat to a song. I’ve learned several Rock Class songs that had a backbeat but have always skipped that part.

Application: I’m not sure which song to choose yet, but probably an easier level 1 or 2 song to begin with.

Evaluation: I’ve practiced the backbeat a little bit, but it’s tricky to get the timing correct. I’ll probably practice 2-3 measures at a time until they sound right.

hlglazi
    Participant

Hello Everyone! Wow! I’m impressed with everyone’s choices for this challenge. Btw… love it! I’m excited for this one.

I am definitely a beginner. I bought my first ukulele at the end of July 2018 and like most beginners, learned the DDU UDU strum with C G AM F.. I’ve been on RC101 since October and mainly signed up to learn how to play chord melody. I like to sing but not all the time every time. (And probably shouldn’t..lol) I was extremely intimidated when I first saw Andrew on YouTube but I’m so glad that I signed up anyway. I have learned so much! I can honestly say I have improved so much already! Thank you Andrew for that.

The challenge: So for my personal challenge, I have been learning technique with each song I practice from RC101. Ode to joy,Romance,Our First song,Etude #3,Fur Elise and First Noel are the songs I have learned so far. With those and the exercises I have done, hammer ones, pull offs, slides and incorporating my pinky a lot plus music theory etc…

EXECUTION: I have decided to do “Nothing Else Matters” by Metallica but I’m going to complete my own arrangement. Training my ear,my plan is to write this song down in tablature, according to what I hear,and include different techniques of chord melody I have learned so far.It will definitely be written for the beginner by a beginner but this will enable me to start working toward my long term goal of being able to create my own arrangement.

APPLICATION: I WILL BE WORKING ON THIS DAILY! My practice schedule is for at least an hour everyday anyway but I have a feeling this will require me to practice more. I will also continue to practice individual techniques and incorporate them into this piece.

EVALUATION: I also have a legitimate fear of the record button…lol and of playing in front of people so as part of evaluating myself, I will play my arrangement for my husband and friends as I go and obtain feed back and at the end of the month I will post the results for your feedback and share my written work.

Sorry for the novel everyone! Can you tell I’m excited!

lisadmh
    Participant

I just tried to play my song with a metronome and it’s a bust. I like it but it doesn’t seem to fit in a consistent time signature. 3/4 at the beginning, then it falls apart.

But the notation is just a tool to transcribe the real music, which is the sound, right? It doesn’t matter if my creativity doesn’t fit in the box? Kali won’t be put in a box.

edward
    Participant

1. Execution: I hope to not trash this song “Richland Woman Blues Written by Mississippi John Hurt. Arranged by Mark Nelson. I plan to improve my finger picking and using my little or pinky finger to reach for notes . Timing Timing Timing my biggest problem . Might try and work with a metronome .

2) Application – I want to pick the notes clean and clear. On time

3) Evaluation – I’m going to record myself weekly here how I’m doing . Learn from my mistakes.

Here the song on You Tube.so you know what it’s sounds like.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mark+nelson+richland+woman+blues

uku_on
    Participant

So I just got married! (yay) As a wedding present my friends and family got me a beautiful new Ukulele. In honor of the ukulele I’m going to revisit a song that I had wanted to learn since I first picked up the ukulele, While my guitar gently weeps (Jake Version). The version I’m learning is from the HawaiiMusicSupply video on youtube.

Execution: I really want this song to come out well since I think it’s probably my favorite song on the ukulele. I’m probably about Intermediate level? I have a bad habit of picking hard songs and “learning” them for the challenge but always run out of time and never finish cleaning them up. So Def want to do a lot better on that.

Application: So this song is probably the most difficult song I’ve ever attempted to play and has a ton of techniques I’ve never used so should be a ton of fun. There is also an added element that the version that is being taught on youtube is missing a ton of parts that I would have to kind of “feel” and add in which I think will help on my improv.

Evaluation: I usually record myself pretty often on my phone when attempting to upload the videos for other challenges so this time around I’m going to just break the song down into 3 parts and try and upload each one as I get them down.

Wish me luck!

becky7777
    Participant

Small update on Niel Gow’s Lament: I got better with the chord change timing and I’m succeeding more playing the ghost notes so they don’t throw everything off.

I’m still playing the tricky part wrong. I’ve isolated the part and there’s been a little progress I think? I’ve been playing the video at 50% when I can and trying to emulate the part to sound more like what he’s doing. It’s hard practice because I’m not really sure if I’m doing it right.

becky7777
    Participant

Congratulations uku_on!!

That’s the first song I found done by Jake on youtube. Grats on your new ukulele too!

lizzieswolf
    Participant

1. I am somewhere between the beginner and intermediate level. And this month I really want to work on my speed in fingerpicking while still keeping every note clear to hear.
    2. To do that I picked the Theme from Stranger Things because I have wanted to learn that song for quite a while now but never came around to actually do it.
    3. I’ll try to record myself at least once a week. That way I can see my progress.

miztaken
    Participant

congratulations @uku_on !!!
    Please show us your new uke.

awiealissa
    Participant

Hey everybody!

My goal for this month is to make my own arrangement for This is me from The Greatest Showman. I love this song, but it’s not that easy to arrange on the ukulele and so far, I’ve always given up quickly.
    Also, I’ll try to complete the new “Reading Standard Notation” course at least until Unit 12. One of my New Year’s Resolutions is to learn to read notes and I often have problems with timing. I hope the course will help me improve.

I’d say I’m intermediate/advanced level.

I’ll try to achieve this goal by practicing at least half an hour every day and by completing at least one unit of the course a day.

I’m going to record my progress or write about it weekly!

carmeloukes
    Participant

I’m just really proud of how everybody wants to play the ukulele and wants to participate 🙂
    Good luck in the challenge everyone!!

tiff27
    Participant

Hi,
    So my plan is to refine my knowledge of a song to the point of memorization, and my ability to play it to the point where I can transition between the trickier notes smoothly… and all the other notes for that matter. I would put my level of playing as somewhere between beginner and low level intermediate. I’ve been twiddling around with playing for the last couple of years. Robin is the serious ukulele player. I practice a bit randomly because I have work and stuff, but i will be making an effort to practice a little bit most days this month. So the song I will work on this month is “The Galaxy Song” from the Monty Python sketch. The arrangement I got from a ukulele group here in Hobart called HUG (Hobart Ukulele Group). I don’t know if they arranged it or they got it from somewhere, but they are where I got it from.

wongbrown

Hi Andrew, I really like the new member challenge. It is more self control in regards to my own personal preference and progress I would like to make. It’s like making a customised learning path for myself. I feel I have a more active role and more committed to practising. Thank you, Andrew.

After reading some of the posts you recommended, I want to have a go with triplet playing. I have two questions:
    1. I want to measure my progress on the speed of picking triplet but don’t know what is my realistic goal as a seasoned beginner?
    2. What song in the database that I can work on for this?

Thanks,
    Sheila

miztaken
    Participant

January Challenge Week One, Sunday Update “CHOPSTICKS” beginner level.

GOAL: Arrangement memorised, playing at about 60% speed on a good day.

PLAN: Currently practicing “Chopsticks” between 1 to 4 hours per day (I also play it during the ad breaks when watching TV).
    The usual practice schedule was completed 4 out of 7 days, not as good as usual.
    Strum for fun only happened for ten minutes, one day – because I realised that I just don’t enjoy it any more!!! I have more fun learning RockClass101 style. So my RC101 practice and songs ARE my fun.

APPLICATION: I have given up on my new piece “Thumb Exercise 3” because I dislike thumb work so very much. I have introduced Taimane’s triplet technique on Thursday, and practice that several times per uke workout. Left hand is building coordination and speed quite nicely, but add chords and it all goes to hell. More practice required.
    Minor playing gaffs have been accepted as the rule (I am a stickler for rules), and you will see some on my week 1 video: the harmonic is a really interesting!!! I am having trouble getting even a hint of harmonic on 12th fret 3rd string.
    12th fret 1st, second and 4th string harmonics are sweet – oh, but that third is a nightmare (it may be the Living Water string, or just me.)
    I am pleased to compare the two videos – because in spite of my repetitive “I can’t play it…” whine, I can see significant improvement in a week.

wongbrown

When I am practising triplet, I noticed that my thumb sometimes touched the string, one up accidentally. Is there any tricks I can avoid this? Thank you.

Cheers,
    Sheila

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.