January 1, 2023 at 1:55 pm #55448
Hi Rock Class 101 Community!
We are back with site member challenge #70! WOW, there has now been over 3,800+ members participating in our challenges! If you’ve sat on the sidelines, please join us for this month’s challenge! Challenges are a fun way to stay motivated and a great way to meet fellow ukulele players who are passionate about learning and becoming better players. 🙂
And I offer feedback on ALL submissions!
Please watch the video above and read instructions below carefully for details/instructions on this month’s challenge.
Pick 1 from the following 4 RC101 Lessons:
1) “Fingerpicking Etude no. 3” * – In this etude, you’ll use a 4 finger approach to fingerpick a 3 chord song.
* Taught in its entirety for FREE!
2) “Fingerpicking Etude no. 6” – In this etude, you’ll incorporate diminished licks in a minor key to create dark overtones.
3) “Fingerpicking Etude no. 16” – In this ukulele and u-bass duet, you’ll learn an upbeat Bluegrass melody that serves as an excellent practice for developing speed with hammer-ons and pull-offs.
Note: Performing to the backing track is required. Premium membership is required to download the backing tracks.
4) “Fingerpicking Etude no. 12” – In this etude, you’ll learn and use the Gypsy Major scale to create an exotic Eastern sound.
** If you need assistance with how to record yourself check out our FREE course on recording audio/video and/or private message me and I will be happy to help you out. **
GOALS FOR MEMBER CHALLENGE:
1. Beginner Level: Be able to play one of the lessons as shown by Andrew smoothly and in time. Do not worry about trying to play fast; slow and steady wins the race.
Recommended Piece: “Fingerpicking Etude no. 3”
2. Intermediate to Advanced Level: Be able to play the lesson as shown by Andrew smoothly, in time, and at or close to the original piece’s tempo.
Recommended Pieces: “Fingerpicking Etude no. 16” [INTERMEDIATE], “Fingerpicking Etude no. 12” [SEASONED INTERMEDIATE], OR “Fingerpicking Etude no. 6” [ADVANCED]
3. Participation Goal: 40 Rock Class 101 Member Participant Videos/MP3 posted.
GROUND RULES FOR PARTICIPATION:
1. Post your Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud links of you playing 1 of the 4 RC101 pieces anytime between Sunday, January 1st until Tuesday, January 31st, 11:59pm EST.
The upload feature on the site only supports photos. Members must host their own files. Creating an account is easy and free 🙂 Here are the links to create an account:
YouTube (For Video) – https://www.youtube.com/create_channel
SoundCloud (For Audio) – https://soundcloud.com/signin
2. Submit individually, as a reply, IN THIS POST.
3. Feel free to submit more than one video for the challenge, but additional videos will not count as extra entries into the raffle for the prize.
4. Have fun and don’t be intimidated by this challenge!!! Use this challenge to help you set goals and complete them by a deadline. You can also use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow Rock Class 101 members and share tips or tricks on this challenge that you think are useful.
5. You must perform the entire piece to receive an entry into the prize raffle. Performance must be submitted by the deadline listed (in #1) above to gain an entry in the raffle, as well as, to receive feedback.
* Note: In my opinion, it is better to show progress versus perfection with these challenges. So if you are a beginner and can only play the first couple of measures. That is completely ok. If you play two more measures of the next challenge piece than you did the previous one, you are on track to getting better. This is what these challenges are about… you learning ukulele and getting better. Remember we are all here to support you no matter what your current playing level is.
1) The prize and the challenge is open to the entire world!
2) Premium membership is NOT required to participate, but will make participation easier as it gains you complete access to the full video lessons, tabs, and the on-screen tab viewer.
3) Basic membership (free) is required to submit a reply on this forum post. You can sign up for Basic Membership HERE.
4) To post YouTube video links (in which they appear embedded on the forum), simply copy and past the video URL in its own line. For example:
5) If you live in the Continental U.S., we will ship the giveaway ukulele to you for FREE! If you live outside of the Continental U.S., there will be a shipping fee ranging between $40 USD to $80 USD. This fee will be collected by Uke Republic. You are also responsible for any custom fees or duties.
There will be 1 winner, selected by random drawing on February 5th. To qualify to win, you must submit your audio and/or video links of your playing by the deadline listed above.
1) $250 Grand Prize: Mainland CMM-CG Solid Mahogany Concert Ukulele
THANKS TO OUR SPONSOR!
Uke Republic: https://www.ukerepublic.com/
Let’s crush this challenge!January 2, 2023 at 7:36 am #55451deadbuggyParticipant
This is not for entry but here’s something from my Way-Back Machine. When Stephen’s Etude 16 came out originally I jumped on it — as a failed banjo player, it spoke to me. And I threw in a little Dueling Banjos too! I’m going to work on another Etude for this month, but in the meantime, happy picking everyone!January 2, 2023 at 1:46 pm #55452annemarieParticipant
Fun! And well-played, Deadbuggy!
I’ve always liked Stephen’s arrangement and I think I might give this one a go.January 3, 2023 at 8:28 pm #55532jbmills07Participant
I am a premium member
Etude #3 has such a great sound, and it is really fun to play! I added some length to the piece as the lesson recommended and I hope you like it. Ziggy joined me for this month’s entry. I have my eyes on Etude #6, but really not sure I could learn it by the end of the month! lol
@deadbuggy Wow! Such an incredible performance! Well played!January 4, 2023 at 2:39 pm #55533leb397Participant
@deadbuggy you are making it look easy… nicely played. I have a long way to go with this one. A new challenge for sure. LouisaJanuary 4, 2023 at 2:45 pm #55534leb397Participant
@jbmills07 that was so pretty! I may have to switch… #16 will be hard to get to 75%January 4, 2023 at 9:38 pm #55537January 4, 2023 at 10:57 pm #55539The_Bumble_BardParticipant
@deadbuggy, that was so lovely! I also wanted to learn the banjo but couldn’t afford one. I could get one now, but who needs that when you have a ukulele that can be a banjo if it pleases? 😉😅 That said, I also have a banjolele……..
@jbmills07, Andrew already said but it’s clear that Ziggy loved your performance! That’s so cute. Lovelily (not a word) played indeed!
Like @leb397, I also plan on playing Etude No. 3 because of my shaky confidence in being able to play Etude No. 16, or the other two. 😳January 5, 2023 at 9:08 pm #55548shmu88Participant
I am a premium member
Here is my entry for this month
And happy new year to everyone 🙂
SamJanuary 5, 2023 at 10:45 pm #55552January 6, 2023 at 5:49 am #55559samash07Participant
Here’s my 2023’s first entryJanuary 6, 2023 at 2:34 pm #55560garryrowParticipant
This is a lovely piece. Deceptively simple but needs lots of practice to keep smooth. Some of the transitions make this hard to do.
I will submit a video for feedback but as I live in the uk so wouldn’t be bothered with entry to the raffle. Though it’s a nice looking uke I guess. Better’n mine any way
Very clear and enthusiastic lesson. Enjoyed it a lot. Thank you Andrew’!January 6, 2023 at 2:35 pm #55561garryrowParticipant
Nicely done.January 6, 2023 at 2:49 pm #55563pgoodyParticipant
I am a premium member.
Etude No 3January 6, 2023 at 4:25 pm #55570
@samash07 – Beautifully played, Sam!
@garryrow – Thanks, Garry! I look forward to watching your performance 🙂
@pgoody – Excellent fingerpicking, Patty! My only suggestion is to continue working on the transitions from chord to chord. I want to hear a little less hesitation so we keep the timing steady.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.