Participate in the January 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Mainland Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Mainland Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@mueleski, I want the sound that you make at the beginning of your video to be my incoming text sound on my phone. That is what you call… Amazing. ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‚ I feel like someone needs to turn that into a meme-able techno song. ๐Ÿ˜… And you did great with your playing! E’erybody did!

ben-j283
    Participant

First post on rockclass

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by ben-j283.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by ben-j283.
    mueleski
    Participant

@The_Bumble_Bard Thanks, I seem to do that sound a lot lately, not sure where I picked it up. Your are right about lots of good performances on here. I had a hard time sliding down to the F chord, actually still do, but the more I play the better it gets!

ksapp92
    Participant

I am a premium member.

Lovely little etude! Iโ€™m still struggling to jump from C(2) to F(1) though. Getting my pinky down along with my other two fingers is a challenge.

jbmills07
    Participant

Decided to go out of my comfort zone for this entry with Etude #16. It still needs a lot of work!

@Ben-j283
    well played! I especially like your slow down at the end!

@ksapp92
    Beautifully played! And we can all relate to the uncooperative pinky! lol

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@mueleski, if that sound were written out, it’d be, “uh-rrRRRRrrr-tah-POW!” Oh my, I’ll never be the same. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Yes, that jump to that F chord is super tricky. I struggle with those big leaps too, and also with fighting the impulses of my “too much” gene. ๐Ÿ˜”

@Ben-j283
    and @ksapp92, you both did a lovely job with said etude, though! ๐Ÿ˜Š

And @jbmills07, you did awesomely… awesome with that one!

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 6.

@starry
    – It was awesome! Great job tackling two this month! Keep up the great work ๐Ÿ™‚

@ukele12
    – Excellent playing and a great first entry! One tip: try not to bend your ring finger at the first joint (like at 4 seconds in the video). Instead, keep it curved (like at 22 seconds in the video).

@anyon1
    – Beautiful playing! I’d offer the same advice I left above for @ukele12, but in regards to your pinky.

@nelsonlin2021
    – Wow! I’m just sitting here amazed that youโ€™ve progressed to be able to play a piece of this difficulty so fast! I don’t really have feedback for you this time, other than saying keep doing what youโ€™re doing. It’s obv working! I am very impressed with your progress, Nelson!

@ccwuke
    – That was a fantastic performance, Chris! About speed. I think most of my speed comes from my subbing out traditional fingerpicking for the pseudo-strumming technique. Which is the same technique I used on this song.

Give the technique a shot. It uses more of a claw-shaped strum attack hitting the strings with the nails. Here’s a video showing how the technique mirrors strumming:

@biancak
    – Way to go on the tempo! Blisteringly fast, bravo! One thing though, I want to hear the pull-off note clearer. I noticed you hammer-on directly down, which is correct, then pull-off directly up. This is incorrect. You want to slightly tug the string down as you pull-off. This will help get the final note to ring out. Check out this lesson for a recap on the fundamentals.

@bibilele
    – Awesome job on the tempo, Bianca! One suggestion. It looks like your left hand is doing a ton of work pivoting for the h/o p/o then back down to the 3rd fret note (C) on A. Try doing a partial barre instead across both strings on the 3rd fret. It will make that phrase a lot more efficient to play.

P.S. You aced the ending lick ๐Ÿ‘

@stevencao
    – That was amazing! I loved your performance!!

One tip, don’t forget to tune before you hit record ๐Ÿ™‚

@coffeemug
    – Bravo, Mary! One of my fav performances from you. Great feel throughout! Keep up the great work ๐Ÿ™‚

@aletski
    – Your playing sounded beautiful! And that transition looked smooth to me. I’d say your practice paid off. This was an excellent first post. Keep up the great work!

@karenj
    – Bravo! I LOVE how it sounds on banjolele!

I hear ya on having more options for the backing track speed. But I do have a solution for you. Check out Transcribe.

This is an awesome program that is similar to the on-screen tab viewer on our site. Basically, it allows you to slow down and loop audio or video files. It even has a feature that tells you what notes and chords are played and surprisingly it’s very accurate!

I’ve been using this program to help me transcribe for over a decade now. Actually, here’s a video from 2012 and you can see me hit stop and play on my laptop. I used the program to transcribe the solo and the rest of the song ๐Ÿ™‚

You can try the program out for 30 days for free, after that it’s super cheap like 39 bucks. Totally worth it!

But as it relates to this song, put the 100% speed backing track in it and you’ll be able to slow it down by 1% increments. You can then bounce an mp3 at any speed or play along to it in transcribe.

dividedsky
    Participant

Here is my Fingerpicking Etude #3.

I had hoped to learn the duet with the UBass (#16) but ran out of time this month — I will learn it though in the near future! All of you #16ers out there have inspired me!

@lisadmh
    I loved the twist you added to Etude #3!

@ksapp92
    Nice job with Etude #3! At first, I had trouble getting the pinky down on that F(1) chord, too, but then discovered a trick: I use my pinky to play the preceding note of the C(2) on the 7th fret, then I just slide my pinky down to the 3rd fret and add the index and middle fingers for the F(1) chord. So, the pinky serves as a “guide” finger, never leaving the string. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jane

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by dividedsky.
    omaon4
    Participant

I am a premium member Omaon4

sarahmusic

hello, here is my fingerpicking etude #3.

sorry for the bad audio quality, not sure why my camera wasn’t recording properly.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 7.

@hannia
    – Way to go, that was awesome! I do have one suggestion. Try practicing the second melody with a metronome. Work on one bar at a time. Start slow and focus on keeping it steady before working on the next bar. Then go back and connect those two.

Do the same thing for bar 3, then 4, then 3-4, and finally 1-4.

This will help iron out the pauses and make it fluid ๐Ÿ™‚

@dianna
    – Great job, Diana! You aced the tempo and timing! The one thing I want you to work on is clarity in the notes for the hammer-on and pull-off licks. Currently, they are all blending into one note. I want to hear more distinction between the three notes. To work on this, slow down the lick and loop it. Just like this:

Work on keeping it steady and attaining a clear distinction between each note.

@leslieb
    – That was awesome, Leslie! I was very impressed by how well you played it! Not only in the tempo and speed, but also in playing with a great feel throughout. And it shows with your laugh and smile at the end ๐Ÿ™‚

Keep working on that main hammer-on/pull-off lick. I’d like to hear a little more clarity between the three notes. Check out the video I left right above your feedback. Try to match that sound. Practice slow before bringing it up to tempo.

@sarrafina
    – You really impressed me in the last challenge with a huge improvement in your timing. This month was another step in the right direction. From your performance, I can tell that you have a good understanding of the rhythms that you are playing. But this month, rather it was intentional or not, your performance incorporated rubato tastefully.

Therefore, I’d like you to continue experimenting with a rubato approach. But also, work on keeping it metronomically steady. Like you did in the previous challenge.

P.S. Keep an eye out for our new classical music course coming out this Friday. It’s got a lesson on rubato. Check it out, it’s got a lot of great ideas in it ๐Ÿ™‚

@evapaju
    – That was awesome, you played it great! I sent your performance and kind words along to Stephen ๐Ÿ™‚

@hiouke
    – Beautiful playing ๐Ÿ‘

@richard_siegert
    – Great playing! My only suggestion is to target your practice on eliminating the pauses in a couple of the transitions.

@erin99
    – Your timing sounded great to me. You’ve got a natural sense for it! Your performance was very enjoyable to watch, keep up the great work!

@mueleski
    – Love the last two pictures! Playing was great! Only a couple transitions to target your practice on, but nothing major to point out. Keep up the great work and I enjoyed the humor ๐Ÿ™‚

@antotonin
    – That B Melody!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ so fast, so clean, and you aced the technique! Bravo!!!

@mademoiselleannette
    – Beautifully played ๐Ÿ™‚

@acornjasper
    – Kelly! You KNOCKED this one outta the park! Wow! My fav performance from you to date!!

mkstewart67
    Participant

Oh Boy, Here I am again at the last minute getting my song in. This was a really fun one to get a Ubass and Practice The Bass line and well as a super fast tune. I gave up on trying to make it to 100 percent speed, but loved the challeng of the Bass line too. I promise Next month to learn how to make a better recording and even learn how to merge the two Parts. sorry for the many mess ups!

gisele

I am a premium member.

It is surprising how something so simple can be so challenging ๐Ÿ˜Š

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by gisele.
    gracme2
    Participant

Here is my entry. My goal is to do better next time.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by gracme2.
    jody_hendrickson
    Participant

Hi all-

Thanks to everyone who’s posted so far, you are all my inspiration! Here’s my 75% Fingerpicking Etude 16. Thanks, Andrew, for the rec for Transcribe, I am definitely going to check that out to make 80-90% tempo tracks. Thanks to Stephen for this piece, it was really fun to learn.

Best,
    Jody

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 138 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.