Participate in the January 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Mainland Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Mainland Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    gracme2
    Participant

Amazing!

gracme2
    Participant

Great job! Sounds great.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Here’s everyone on page 8.

@ben-j283
    – Beautiful playing and excellent ritardando at the end. A fantastic first entry! I look forward to watching more of your performances 🙂

@ksapp92
    – You played it beautifully! For that transition, or any transition that you need a little extra practice with, try stripping away the music (i.e. the fingerpicking pattern). And just work on moving between the two chords:

I’d also recommend taking it a step further by using a metronome. Set it to a simple rhythm, for example, strumming on beat 1 and 3 (half notes).

@jbmills07
    – This was very good, Justin! Excellent clarity in the notes in the H/O & P/O licks. Timing and feel was spot on. You even nailed the fancy rhythm strum at 1:09! I am continually impressed by you!

@dividedsky
    – Beautifully played, Jane 🙂

@omaon4
    – That was awesome, Helga! You played it so well!! My only advice is to memorize it so you can focus 100% on your playing.

@sarahmusic
    – Even with the underwater audio (lol), your playing still shined through! Great job this month 🙂

@mkstewart67
    – What! A double take with both instruments! So cool! I sent Stephen your bass performance, he’s gonna love watching it!

Both takes sounded great! I really enjoyed watching them. Keep up the great work, Melissa!

@gisele
    – Both takes were great! I love that you use a metronome. Keep up the great work, Gisele 🙂

@gracme2
    – Your video is showing as private. Can you please make it public? Here’s how to change the privacy setting.

@jody_hendrickson
    – Your performance was awesome! I was grooving in my chair watching it 🙂

And yes, definitely pick up a copy of transcribe. It’s so useful and totally worth it!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@gracme2 – Thanks for making it public 🙂

Your playing sounds great! It was beautifully fingerpicked and an excellent first challenge post! It sounds like a little more practice will smooth out the very minor hesitations. Keep up the great work!

cartoonnatalie
    Participant

My first time participating after watching from the sidelines for a year! Was a lot of fun!

maryjanew
    Participant

Etude #3 played on my Ohana Baritone with Tenor Octave strings (GCEA)
    I practice this Etude on my Romero Tiny Tenor and my Lanakai Concert but I really like how it sounded with the octave tenor strings!

My right hand fingers go their own way on picking song like this, that’s why I wanted to practice it. I didn’t get it right at the beginning of the video but I kept playing it until I almost got it all right!!😜

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by maryjanew.
    bibilele
    Participant

@Andrew Thanks a lot for your feedback! 😊 I only realized my “too much movement” with the left hand when I watched the other entries. 🙈

coffeemug
    Participant

Thanks, Andrew!

dianna
    Participant

Thank-you Andrew. I will practice hammer ons and pull offs….I can hear it does sound more like a quick slur rather than articulating…thanks for the example…and the concept of looping…will work on it😁

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by dianna.
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@cartoonnatalie – You played it beautifully! A great first challenge post 🙂

One thing I want you to work on is proper holding technique. I’ll embed a video I made for another member a few years ago on how to hold the uke. Additionally, here is another lesson and one more covering this topic that I recommend reviewing.

@maryjanew
    – I love your interpretation, MJ! It reminds me of “We Are Gonna Be Friends” by the White Stripes. Well done this month! 🙂

gisele

Thanks Andrew. I’d be lost without the metronome. It always surprises me just how far adrift I can get when I don’t use one with things I struggle with.

Andrew
    Keymaster

We BLEW AWAY our participation goal with 62 members participating this month! Big congrats to each and every one of you! I loved hearing everyone’s performances! Y’all did SO well! 🙂

So without further ado, the winner of this month’s challenge is ** drumroll **

null

null

null

Our February Challenge is LIVE: https://rockclass101.com/february-2023-challenge

The theme is Mini Lessons and we’re giving away a VERY unique ukulele! Hope to see everyone in the challenge!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

Yay, congrats, june2020!! 😊

lhamilton
    Participant

Congratulations, june2020! The ukulele looks lovely!

biancak
    Participant

@Andrew Thanks for pointing this out. I was practicing the piece on 75%, couldn’t imagine increasing the speed so had a few days’ break away from it and then when I tried again, I realised I could do 100%. Honestly, I didn’t even notice that I unconsciously traded in the pull-offs for the extra speed :DDD

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 138 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.