Participate in the January 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Mainland Ukulele!

Home Page Forums Monthly Member Challenges Participate in the January 2023 Member Challenge: WIN Mainland Ukulele!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

@The_Bumble_Bard – If I said that, then that’s totally cool! It’s hard to remember every lesson. Honestly, I thought it was a song from Chris’s course. But on re-watch, I see that it is the etude in clawhammer-style. That works, I’ll accept it for this month 🙂

Andrew
    Keymaster

@The_Bumble_Bard – In other words, you adapted it so well that it fooled me into thinking it was Chris’s arr. Great work!

The_Bumble_Bard
    Participant

@Andrew, awwww, wow, thank you so much! I really appreciate that. Thank you for accepting it! Ha, I feel bad if I ever have vexed you with my shenanigans because it’s clear that you and your team work very hard and create such amazing songs! I just like to play all songs that way, by modifying them in different ways. I hope to get to that specific course this year as I intend to hit the RC101 courses hard, as another resolution. Thank you again and sorry for that! 😅😳

starry
    Participant

I’m a premium member.
    First time participating in a monthly challenge. I enjoyed learning this piece and watching everyone else play it! My fingerpicking seems more jumpy than others. Is there a trick to be smooth and effortless?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by starry.
    johanna2509
    Participant

Hey hey, here is another Fingerpicking Etude no. 3.
    Today I started learning Matt’s Lullaby, it is absolutely gorgeous! I am impressed how you guys come up with those beautiful original compositions!

deadbuggy
    Participant

Another fantastic original etude. I love working on these pieces —

jgillard
    Participant

Here is my Fingerpicking Etude No. 12. It definitely does not have quite the tempo of Andrew’s performance… 🙂

jgillard
    Participant

@starry, you said “My fingerpicking seems more jumpy than others. Is there a trick to be smooth and effortless?” I don’t hear this in your recording at all. It sounds smooth to me. The only thing to note is that you did not play the repeat at the end of bar4. So your performance is missing bars 1 to 4 repeated! 🙂 But it sounded good regardless! Nice job.

jgillard
    Participant

@johanna2509 Nice job on Etude #3. Sounds great. Nice and smooth.

@deadbuggy
    your Etude #6 was well played. I’ll have to try and learn this one 😛

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by jgillard.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by jgillard. Reason: typo
    zongozongo
    Participant

Here is my contribution. It is Etude No. 3. I am a premium member.

camper
    Participant

@aongozongo That sounded really nice. Nice ukulele too.

rafaela
    Participant

I am a PREMIUM MEMBER.

Happy New Year everyone, I hope you all had a great start into 2023! 🙂
    Here is my recording for this month’s challenge: “Fingerpicking Etude No. 6”

Thanks for listening! Rafaela

annemarie
    Participant

Here’s my submission of Stephen’s fun Bluegrass Duet. Getting the timing right with another instrument was challenging, even at 50%!

Andrew
    Keymaster

@starry – Playing sounds beautiful! As for your question, it looks like the motion when fingerpicking is coming from your wrist. Instead, the wrist should be more stationary while the fingers do the work. Try moving your hand back, down towards the soundhole (as shown here).

You’ll be able to make better contact when fingerpicking the strings there as the neck isn’t in the way. After that, try to minimize wrist motion when fingerpicking. Here’s a short video of me vamping on C. You can see the finger are doing most of the work:

@johanna2509
    – Beautiful playing!

@deadbuggy
    – Thank you for the compliment, Sara! You played it so well! I loved it!

@jgillard
    – That rocked, Jeremy! I’m gonna share your performance in our newsletter tomorrow 🙂

@zongozongo
    – Excellent fingerpicking!

@rafaela
    – Another fantastic take! You’ve been acing them each month! Keep up the great work, Rafaela!

@annemarie
    – Timing sounds great! Excellent playing! I’d start boosting tempo by 5 to 10 bpm and gradually work it up to speed. Keep up the great work!

lhamilton
    Participant

Hi,

I tried Fingerpicking Etude No. 12 this month. It was fun to work with and the dogs loved it (they push open the door of the room where I practice so they can stay in the room while I play, but only for certain songs).

Linda
    I am a premium member

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.